My Technics system - rear speakers down, do I repair or not?

Pierre

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
The subject line says most of it. The system, separate amp, tuner and CD player with 5 speakers has given us great pleasure for many years. I've hooked it up to the TV and, until recently, we had good sound from all sources. However, a week or so ago the rear speakers started 'humming', so much so that we have had to turn them off.

Now, do I find a repairer or replace the system, bearing in mind that DAB is on its way and all the cables are generally beneath carpet edges? Whilst no expert, I suspect that the repair would be relatively simple.

All advice gratefully received.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Speakers themselves can't hum, unless that's your term for the kind of distortion you're hearing when you turn the sound up, which could as you say indicate physical damage. Have you tried swapping them for the fronts just to check?

Pierre

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps for the purists, I should have written that both rear speakers emanate a sound that appears to be a hum and destroy the aural pleasure and we have had to switch them off.

Swapping the leads did nothing (as I suspected) but, in the process of unplugging the rear ones, I noticed that whilst wriggling the plugs, the hum, and sound, stopped.

So, what about my question concerning DAB? Is it worth investigating a replacement or not?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So basically you had a couple of loose wires. Glad you sorted it.

What exactly was your question about DAB sorry? Were you asking whether you should replace your system with a new one that has DAB?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts