Hello, I'm new to the forums here but been doing quite some reading and decided to get more involved and ask now!

I've been feeling for a while that my center speaker in my surround is mushing up dialogs and I keep being reminded of it everytime i put a movie on. So my question is basically if it is logical to swap the center out or will that give a wrong dynamic between my front speakers and the center??

Anyway! My system looks like this:

Denon AVR1317

Jamo S606 HCS3

B&W ASW610

Could it also be that my reciever is underpowered for this maybe? (tho I'd say it shouldn't be)

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Patrick and welcome to the forums. You might find a new centre changes tonal balance and sensitivities may be different, ie centre speaker is inherently quieter/louder due to sensitivity changes.

The only sensible thing to do is try it, and I would try a few other things first

1. Have a play with your receiver and increase the sound level (db) on the centre speaker

2. Change its position if you can. Above or below the TV, check if is hemmed in at all. Is it against a wall?

3. Watch out if you are using Sky. I swear the number of "mumbling" actors on Sky is higher than everywhere else. Check the same film (or two!!) from disc against other sources that you use.

Once you have tried those, go check out new centres with one last word of advice. Get a dealer where you can borrow a centre for a home trial. In my experience buying speakers "blind" is suicide. Room acoustics, etc. have a big part to play.

jmjones said:
1. Have a play with your receiver and increase the sound level (db) on the centre speaker

2. Change its position if you can. Above or below the TV, check if is hemmed in at all. Is it against a wall?

3. Watch out if you are using Sky. I swear the number of "mumbling" actors on Sky is higher than everywhere else. Check the same film (or two!!) from disc against other sources that you use.

Once you have tried those, go check out new centres with one last word of advice. Get a dealer where you can borrow a centre for a home trial. In my experience buying speakers "blind" is suicide. Room acoustics, etc. have a big part to play.

Haha I do not use Sky! I will give it a try with changing position tho! I've been fidiling abit with the center volume but will give it some more effort in testing.
The speaker is located under the TV pointing a bit upwards toward listeners.

Indeed I do feel just buying something is "suicidal" so the borrowing is a good idea thx!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
just a thought as I made the mistake once, the cables are plugged in the right way round? I made the mistake of plugging negative to positive and positive to negative and it didn't sound right. Took me ages to work out I plugged them in the wrong way round!

rocketrazor said:
just a thought as I made the mistake once, the cables are plugged in the right way round? I made the mistake of plugging negative to positive and positive to negative and it didn't sound right. Took me ages to work out I plugged them in the wrong way round!

Oh god, what a revelation. Gonna check that out asap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts