My speakers makes noises when playing bass

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey, I have been using a Hifi setup for my TV for a couple of years now and it is starting to become very frustrating that whenever I play music, games or movies with a heavy enough bass sound at some points, it makes this rythmical vibrating noise as if the stuff inside is being tossed around at every beat. The set is currently placed besides my Tv and consoles and in the case under these are all my DVD, Blu-Ray and game cases and I have been thinking about if they would be the source but when I tried to remove the speakers and held them in the air or placed them on my stone floor the sounds did not stop. I have also tried different speakers and they make the same noise.

My set consists of a Denon PMA-500AE integrated amp (I know it's not a good amp but I don't have a lot of money) and two Cerwin-Vega VE-5M's. I don't have the faintest idea of why they make this noise but if anyone is able to solve this problem I would be very thankful :)

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If you have tried different speakers and they make the same noise then the problem must be elsewhere in the system.

As it happens no matter what source you use, it sounds like the amp is at fault.

Firstly, try and clean all connections and if your speaker wire has bare end's, cut the bare copper off and re-strip them.

If none of this help's, you may have a problem with the amp itself.

A

Anonymous

If I remember correctly then the cables are actually not entirely inside the speakers - I'll try and cut a bit off and listen then. Thanks for your input :)

A

Anonymous

Now I have made sure that every cable is securely plugged in both directions but sadly the speakers still makes the noises :( Any other ideas?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If you tried other speakers and they made the same noise, it must be the amp causing the problem. See if you can borrow or try another amp in place of yours.

A

Anonymous

I guess I could use a new amp anyway - thanks for the advice :)

A

Anonymous

I don't think it comes from the audio files, no - it seems to be irregular and it also happens through game or movie audio : /

A

Anonymous

As you are using them on the t.v, if you have the volume on the amp on full and controll the volume of the output to the amp with the t.v remote, this can cause these kinds of problems. Try having the volume 11 o'clock on the amp and controll the output with the tv remote.

This may help, if not, try different sources and see if you get the same effect, if still to no avail maybe the amp is to fault.

A

Anonymous

My old B&W speaker made a similar sort of noise on the left. Turns out the woofer needed tightening, With the B&Ws it was just an allen key. Easy. Not sure about yours sorry. Worth looking though.

EDIT. Just seen you tried other speakers so ignore me. A wee bit too much wine tonight!

A

Anonymous

I am controling the volume via the Tv remote with the amp turned almost down to mute because it has begun to make scratchy sounds in the speakers when I use the amp's remote, but I will try your idea :)

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately it did not seem to work - no hearable difference has come :(

denontillidie

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
had a similar problem with my denon. if you sy that you are getting scratchy sounds coming from your amp when you adjust the volume, this could be the problem.

try to strip down the volume knob as much as possible (dont know your model exactly) but it sound only involve removing the dial and a securing nut.

buy some aerosol air cleaner and some contact cleaner and get to work on the volume pot.

whilst you are there, whip the top off the amp and give it a good clean out with the air cleaner, sometimes lumps of dust can settle between the mosfet legs causing crackle and the like.

A

Anonymous

Um, now I did not fully get whether you understood that the scratchy sound comes from the speakers as a reaction, it is not the volume button that I turn, it is simply an audible effect from turning it up. I also tried looking inside the amp and I did not see any dust, though I guess it could be out of my sight as I did not remove the top. I'll try and look at that :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts