My Scenario..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, first post so new to the forums, will adjust to any criticism!

I was hoping to tap into the vast knowledge of Home Audio present within this community for some more specific advice as to what your solutions would be to my scenario. I have attached photo's beneath of the flat/apartment I will be moving into in the next month. You will notice that the main space, like many modern buildings, is completely open plan. I'm guessing this makes audio choices some what more complicated and difficult to keep to a budget due to the extra power necessary. I am looking for a system which can fill this space with sound from situations that include easy, relaxed listening to playing from the TV to parties where there may be 10-20people in this space. As usual quality is a priority, I tend to lean towards a more bass heavy sound but maintaining a punchy tight kick. I plan on streaming music to the system using 'AirTune's' on Apple's Airport express which would be plugged in the corner by the windows (behind TV.) This would take music from computers connected to that network and the computers would be controlled by iPhones or iPod Touches (Apple's remote app/iTunes.)

So my stumbling block is now what to output the audio through. I have considered many routes, from the B&W Zeppelin with miniToslink to the Airport Express, to the popular Denon M37 + Q Acoustics 2020i route. I have a budget of around £400 for the system.

I just wanted to know if there were any options/ideas others might have for this setup and space? Any comments on the suggested speaker systems and there ability to perform to my needs are also much appreciated!

Many Thanks, Dave.

portdin_lrg.jpg

portseat_lrg.jpg

A

Anonymous

I'd have a look at active speakers if I were you. Within your price bracket there's the smaller Genelecs, the 6010s and the Audioengine A2s and A5s. For extra bass you'd need a subwoofer, though.

Judging from your photos your room's going to need a a few rugs, wall hangings etc to avoid acoustic reflections.

T

the record spot

Secondhand might be an option, and some outlets like Superfi and Richers will do you a system for £400-500 or so. Active speakers like the Yamaha HS80s will do a good job (roughly £350, decent sized) or the KRK Rokit 5 for about £200. You can then either use them with your computer and the likes of an M-Audio Transit DAC which will do a good job converting the digital signal to analogue (£60 or so) and thereon out the speaker.

If you have an Apple Mac, then some reckon they have a good onboard DAC, so you could save the money on the Transit (or any other DAC) and just stream directly to the speaker.

On the other hand, that's a pretty big room, lots of reflective surfaces, so whichever solution you go with, actives or traditional, then you might have to experiment a little with position, etc., to get it all sounding just right for your tastes.

Lovely place by the way!

EDIT: Incidentally, the Genelec's, though good, probably won't fit your needs in that room. That one's (the 6010A) their entry level monitor and given the size of your room, even with the sub, the 3" driver might not be enough. Have a look at their 8030A if you like the sound of them, but the price goes up to around £800 a pair (one outlet has them for £760 just now) and have a listen in a pro-audio music shop; many of them will happily get you up and running with a demo in no time (i.e. turn up off the street!).

They do make great speakers though and while mainly a studio monitor design, they're one of the most appealing sounding professional speakers for the domestic environment I've heard. Other active speakers can be too neutral and too revealing as a consequence for home listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts