My Nad 3020i. Should I replace it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

First, I have an old Nad 3020i that I've been using for years. I currently run it with a pair of Boston A26 speakers and a Cambridge Audio 650c CD player. I'm thinking of upgrading my kit but I don't know what to buy. The Nad still sounds pretty good. I understand you can get it refurbished and upgraded too (although I'm not sure where). I'm also considering getting a turntable and going back to vinyl and I'm sure it would be great for that. I would like a few more inputs though and I do wonder if the sound could be bettered by modern kit.

Any suggestions or points of view would be most welcome. Suggestions for a new CD player would also be welcomed.

My second question is about speakers. I'm thinking of buying some Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 floorstanders for my main system and retiring the Bostons to the bedroom. That smooth sound will be perfect for the boudoir. Are the Mordaunts a significant upgrade on the Bostons? And if so, will it be worth upgrading amp, CD player etc? If yes, any suggestions regarding kit to audition would, again, be gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

A

Anonymous

HI again.

One other question.... Any alternatives to the Mezzos at a similar price will also be appreciated.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

HI again.

One other question.... Any alternatives to the Mezzos at a similar price will also be appreciated.

Thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It maybe be OK for phono but for digital it is not very good, I would consider upgrading to something like an Arcam Alpha 9 with phono stage. I had a Nad 3030 and it was poor with cd.

How much can you spend?

A

Anonymous

Up to £500. I was thinking about trying Rega Brio-R. It has had a lot of good reviews. It just seems a shame to dump the Nad. We've been through a lot together. I originally had a 3020e and had to sell it due to hard times. Shortly afterwards I got back on my feet and grabbed an i (this must have been in the early 90s) and we've been together ever since.

I bought the Bostons just recently and it suddenly dawned on me just how much hi-fi has moved on since I were a lad. The sound is incredible compared to what you would have got for equivalent money 20 years ago. It has made me wonder just how much better I can make my system. The vinyl is a bit of a distraction, an new hobby. My music is on CD and that will probably now always be the bulk of my collection.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi NAD3020i

Before the Brio R i had a NAD3020i that i've bought on ebay for 50£ mint last summer, i love the NAD know is part of my bed room system with my MA RS1 i'm going to keep it forever! It has a warm sound, love it!

But the Brio R plays in another league, it's a sophisticaded amp next to the NAD, but if you want to keep the same sound sig you have the 326bee, its another killing machine from NAD, i've demo it when i was on the market for a new amp.

Go out and demo some amps and speakers and decide for your self...

good hunting!

Best REGArds

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to have to audition a fair bit of kit. I will probably keep my Nad and put it in the bedroom, and look for a new system for the living room. I haven't had a good old listing test since the late 80s. this is going to be fun.....
smiley-smile.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't usually get sentimental about hifi but can understand why you'd want to keep yours after such a long time.

It would probably be a good idea to give the pensioner a health check-up and service before retiring her gracefully (or otherwise) into the bedroom.

regards

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I heard the Rega amp a few weeks ago I must say I was underwhelmed, after that demo I almost decided that used hifi would be a better course for me than new because to get much better than I have currently have I going to have to spend lots of money. If I were you I would look out for some Arcam 9 or NAD stuff. You could try adding a DAC to your system as well.

A

Anonymous

I saw the Mordaunt Short Mezzos at £550n at Richer Sounds and they inspired me but I don't want to make decisions in a hurry so I think I'll take some time and if they go, they go.

I'm going to go for a new main system, although I may well choose some vintage equipment to do it with. The speakers will probably be brand new and possibly the CD player but amp could come from anywhere.

After a service and upgrade the NAD will be sent to the bedroom, although given my penchant for pretty girls who tie me up and hurt me, its retirement will be as disgraceful as I can make it. >)

A DAC sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I will look into it.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Any further comments will, of course, be most gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

Another question.....

What is the point in a DAC. Surely a Cambridge Audio 650c should have it's own DAC. Wouldn't another one just be unnecessary?

A

Anonymous

Another question.....

What is the point in a DAC. Surely a Cambridge Audio 650c should have it's own DAC. Wouldn't another one just be unnecessary?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps a better DAC than the one in your current CD player in order to improve the sound. It would probably also have more inputs, so you could take a digital signal from your PC/TV/DVD player, etc. and improve the sound of those sources too.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Nad3020i said:
Another question.....

Yes your Cambridge cd player will have a dac but the quality of a dac in a £300 player is not going to be very high so a separate DAC like a Rega may sound much better, worth a try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts