My first stereo system

ajax

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I decided to buy my first stereo system and I need your help.

My budget is around 700-800 euros and the room is something like 16-17 square meters.

I can get Marantz PM 6004 + HRT Music Streamer II for 430 euros and I can get NAD D 3020 for the same money. Which way to go?

Is there any other amp I can look for the same money?

Many thanks in advance!

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you go for a Marantz PM6005? The 6005 does the same thing as the 6004 + HRT Streamer. It's a 6004 with a dac! The NAD has even more functionality because you can also stream music from your phone to the amp through bluetooth.

ajax

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
In my country Marantz PM 6004 is 290 euros and PM 6005 is 550 euros, that is simply to much. And I don't like that PM 6004 doesn't have USB.

Yes, I find NAD to be very interesting because of the bluetooth.

I just don't know what to do

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Ajax......does that mean that you are dutch? Well I am dutch although I'm supporting Feyenoord.

The Nad has better connectivity and has gotten some excellent reviews. So has the Marantz and speaking from my own experience a PM6004 sounds smooth with just the right weight in the bass. If you are not looking for a stack of hifi components then the Nad is a very compact solution. You wiil be very content with either. The real challenge is finding the right speakers. After you have bought your amp You should go out to a hifi store and audition different speakers to find out what sound you like. This also a lot of fun!

There are some other alternatives, but considering them will not make your choice any easier. A all-in-one like the Marantz CR510 has more bells and Whistles than a PM6004 and is reported to sound quite well. Other brands like Denon, Yamaha and Teac have similar propositions. Yamaha also has a full size receiver with a dac and good connectivity.

Just try to make your mind up about the amp. If you can audition both and choose the one you like best.

ajax

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
No, I'm not from Holland, that just my nickname for this forum.

My plan is to buy amp + dac, or amp with dac first, and than go to the shops and try different speakers. I almost ordered Marantz PM6004 + HRT Music Streamer but NAD has got my attention after I read some good reviews, acctually they are all positive. This will be my first stereo system so I'm sure I don't need anything better that Marantz PM 6004 and NAD D 3020. I'm considering NAD because it had DAC inside so it will be easier to go to the shops and try different speakers. Also bluetooth is interesting because it will be easier for my wife to listen to the music, and find it intersting to. But I have read that the Marantz will have better sound. So it is not easy decision for me to make. Some people suggested that amp + seperate dac will sound better than amp with dac inside.

Regarding speakers I was considering BX2 and Zensor 3.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
The speakers jou suggest should go very well with the Marantz. Especially the Dali is good with Marantz. I have auditioned the MA's but i found them too shrill for my ears. Instead I got a pair B&W 686's which is not very well liked on this forum. The S2 version has only just been introduced and already got some excellent reviews.

Back to your choice of amps: the Nad is obviously the best allrounder. It's also very portable. However, both amps should be widely available in stores so it won't be necessary to carry your own amp around. My gut feeling is that the Marantz is the better amp sound quality wise. I wish you much wisdom in choosing.

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I would agree with Peter about the speakers if you go with the Marantz. I've listened to a number of Monitor Audio products with Marantz amps and they have never been my preferred pairing (Yamaha is more my bag there). The Zensor 3's, however, on the Marantz sounded lovely in the shop I was in.

I've not heard the NAD I'm afraid so cannot comment there.

Still, welcome to hobby; I hope you enoy your new kit :dance:

ajax

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, it' s me again.

I have bought the following:

Dali Zensor 3

Soundstyle Z2

QED Silver Anniversary XT reference speaker cable.

I was just wondering is there any other amp besides Marantz PM 6004, Marantz PM 6005 to consider?

Many thanks in advance

I have used both NAD and Marantz in the past but cannot speak for the latest models, other than by reading the mag. The Marantz for me would be the default choice but if I could get a Yamaha or Rotel at a reduced price I might consider them, if (and only if) I could listen a home.

All the reviews are online too, so worth thoroughly reading them.

ajax

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
In the end I have bought Marantz PM6004 + Dali Zensor 3 + HRT Music Streamer II. I must say that I'm more than satisfied. I never thought that it will be that good. The sound is better than I imagined it would be.

TRENDING THREADS