My Arcam CD player is getting old and . . .

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
. . .showing the first signs of dying a graceless death. CDs skip intermittently, usually when I've first fired it up, and thereafter it's okay. My question, like a few similar recently, is should I replace it when it does finally go kerrputt? I stream music from my Mac and play records on my deck. I've got a nice sounding DAC, so I don't really need a replacement CDP, but a part of me craves a Roksan Caspian (M1, if I can locate a cheap-ish one) to go with my other kit. Yes, I know this is probably silly and needless, as it's ultimately doomed to be a "back-up" device for when the Mac isn't functioning (so far, never!). I'm craving a new box, basically, so I'm pretty pleased the Arcam's in it's death throes. Somewhat pathetically I'm even trying to convince my wife (to be!) that streaming interferes with her eBaying et al, so wouldn't it be a good move to get a new CDP. Rubbish argument really, as all that happens when I launch Remote app from my phone, is that iTunes springs up and she takes all of 1 second to minimize it and get back to online browsing & study. Anyone suggest something?

John Duncan

Azur-650BD1.jpg

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:How much, Sir?

your talkign £399 from richer sounds ... and you can ONLY buy them in the shop themselves ...... which i still say is a bloddy joke if they advertise online

SOMEONE SHOW ME 1 THING ....JUST ONE that they sell online .

"for instore customers only" my ***

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Just had a thought Charlie, have you tried using a lens cleaning disk? I had similar problems with my even older Arcam Alpha and this seemed to clear it up. Might be worth a go.

Charlie Jefferson:. . .showing the first signs of dying a graceless death. CDs skip intermittently, usually when I've first fired it up, and thereafter it's okay. My question, like a few similar recently, is should I replace it when it does finally go kerrputt? I stream music from my Mac and play records on my deck. I've got a nice sounding DAC, so I don't really need a replacement CDP, but a part of me craves a Roksan Caspian (M1, if I can locate a cheap-ish one) to go with my other kit. Yes, I know this is probably silly and needless, as it's ultimately doomed to be a "back-up" device for when the Mac isn't functioning (so far, never!). I'm craving a new box, basically, so I'm pretty pleased the Arcam's in it's death throes. Somewhat pathetically I'm even trying to convince my wife (to be!) that streaming interferes with her eBaying et al, so wouldn't it be a good move to get a new CDP. Rubbish argument really, as all that happens when I launch Remote app from my phone, is that iTunes springs up and she takes all of 1 second to minimize it and get back to online browsing & study. Anyone suggest something?

Roksan CDP is the most obvious, and if the newer Arcams don't appeal then try this.

images

I loved the 2010S ansd should've bought one myself... and didn't.
emotion-7.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
That looks nice, PP, but my heart, if not wallet, is set on a Caspian.

Then again, as Diamond Joe points out a lens cleaner could possibly do the trick. And what is more, as JD deduced, I want a new box. Goddamnit, I've earned it. (Er, probably not really, but. . .). Very few new vinyl, CD or d-load purchases for 6 months, no selfish Christmas purchases and I'm a kinder, more communitarian person than I was last time I bought a CDP. With amazing levels of self-awareness and modesty too, you'll note.

Seriously, would a cheaper player, such as the Cambridge sound much different to the Caspian when both would, like my current Arcam, be used as transport only, with my DAC doing the rest?

(Again, I know this has been oft-discussed, but what does anyone think?)

John Duncan

Well, I'm a believer in the disc transport being the nub of replay so yes the Caspian ought to be better, but I don't think there'd be *that* much in it (also being a believer in diminishing returns hitting CD players earlier and harder).

But it'll kick the Caspian's butt on DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-A and SACD replay, obviously
emotion-2.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Well, I'm a believer in the disc transport being the nub of replay so yes the Caspian ought to be better, but I don't think there'd be *that* much in it (also being a believer in diminishing returns hitting CD players earlier and harder).

But it'll kick the Caspian's butt on DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-A and SACD replay, obviously
emotion-2.gif

An interesting debate and I might be able to do a vaguely empirical test here: my brother-in-law owns a Caspian CD player and I could "buy" a Cambridge player (would have to check Richer's returns policy) and try them out.

Currently my PS3 handles all the non-CD discs you mention, but it's still an additional selling point, I suppose, in favour of the Cambridge. As well as the considerable price difference, of course.

John Duncan

Charlie Jefferson:An interesting debate and I might be able to do a vaguely empirical test here: my brother-in-law owns a Caspian CD player and I could "buy" a Cambridge player (would have to check Richer's returns policy) and try them out.

Currently my PS3 handles all the non-CD discs you mention, but it's still an additional selling point, I suppose, in favour of the Cambridge. As well as the considerable price difference, of course.

Interesting indeed, particularly when the playing field is levelled with the DAC...

EDIT - note that I'd be wary of expecting non-CD audio to work through your DAC. Worth investigating...

Charlie Jefferson:JohnDuncan:Well, I'm a believer in the disc transport being the nub of replay so yes the Caspian ought to be better, but I don't think there'd be *that* much in it (also being a believer in diminishing returns hitting CD players earlier and harder). But it'll kick the Caspian's butt on DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-A and SACD replay, obviously
emotion-2.gif
An interesting debate and I might be able to do a vaguely empirical test here: my brother-in-law owns a Caspian CD player and I could "buy" a Cambridge player (would have to check Richer's returns policy) and try them out. Currently my PS3 handles all the non-CD discs you mention, but it's still an additional selling point, I suppose, in favour of the Cambridge. As well as the considerable price difference, of course.

Which Cambridge player is it?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Charlie Jefferson:JohnDuncan:Well, I'm a believer in the disc transport being the nub of replay so yes the Caspian ought to be better, but I don't think there'd be *that* much in it (also being a believer in diminishing returns hitting CD players earlier and harder). But it'll kick the Caspian's butt on DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-A and SACD replay, obviously
emotion-2.gif
An interesting debate and I might be able to do a vaguely empirical test here: my brother-in-law owns a Caspian CD player and I could "buy" a Cambridge player (would have to check Richer's returns policy) and try them out. Currently my PS3 handles all the non-CD discs you mention, but it's still an additional selling point, I suppose, in favour of the Cambridge. As well as the considerable price difference, of course.

I think it's the Cambridge Audio 650BD. And yes, I'm intrigued.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Charlie Jefferson:An interesting debate and I might be able to do a vaguely empirical test here: my brother-in-law owns a Caspian CD player and I could "buy" a Cambridge player (would have to check Richer's returns policy) and try them out.

Interesting indeed, particularly when the playing field is levelled with the DAC...

EDIT - note that I'd be wary of expecting non-CD audio to work through your DAC. Worth investigating...

Mmmm, I take your point regarding the non-CD audio. I had a quick glance, between teaching lessons, of course, on the Richer website at the player in question, and tried to scrutinize the numerous outputs.

Currently, I feed my PS3's audio through an optical cable to my DAC and that's great. My Arcam CDP, is of course, linked to the DAC via a digital cable. Wouldn't the BD650 work in the same way? I couldn't see the outputs clearly enough, but presume there's optical and digital outs.

Will investigate and also see if my brother-in-law wants to bring over his Caspian to mine.

Charlie Jefferson:plastic penguin:

emotion-2.gif

I think it's the Cambridge Audio 650BD. And yes, I'm intrigued.

I'd be surprised if it outperforms a dedcated CDP of the quality of the Caspian and Exposure. However, I haven't heard it so I could end up with egg on me chops.

If it is better sounding than the Caspian and Exposure I'll change my name to Squirrel Nutkins...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Charlie, having also owned lots of Arcam source gear and currently using the Chord DAC64 i would suggest you look at getting yourself an Arcam DV135 as a replacement to you CD92. This is a stunning disc spinner even using its onboard DAC - with the Chord well WOW!
It is also a universal disc player (except BluRay) so it will be very versatile for you.
They represent incredible value for money as well! You can grab one for around £200-£250 on ebay which is great considering they were £900 new.
goodluck

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
mine started doing that so I took the lid off and CAREFULLY cleaned the lens with isopro and a cotton bud. hey presto hardly any skipping.

That was 7 years ago and its still going!!!

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:Hi Charlie, having also owned lots of Arcam source gear and currently using the Chord DAC64 i would suggest you look at getting yourself an Arcam DV135 as a replacement to you CD92. This is a stunning disc spinner even using its onboard DAC - with the Chord well WOW! It is also a universal disc player (except BluRay) so it will be very versatile for you. They represent incredible value for money as well! You can grab one for around £200-£250 on ebay which is great considering they were £900 new. goodluck

The Arcam DV135 sounds like a very good option. Might be worthwhile considering Marantz DV7001. Again , an excellent disc player both picture and sound.

John Duncan

plastic penguin:I'd be surprised if it outperforms a dedcated CDP of the quality of the Caspian and Exposure.

So would I. But note again my contention that 'outperforming' is an expensive thing to do with CD players. If I pitched my Primare 640C against my Primare D20 I'm not sure I could predict which I'd prefer, especially if they were both played through a Chord DAC.

Charlie Jefferson:Currently my PS3 handles all the non-CD discs you mention, but it's still an additional selling point, I suppose, in favour of the Cambridge. As well as the considerable price difference, of course.

[snip my quote]

Mmmm, I take your point regarding the non-CD audio. I had a quick glance, between teaching lessons, of course, on the Richer website at the player in question, and tried to scrutinize the numerous outputs.

Currently, I feed my PS3's audio through an optical cable to my DAC and that's great. My Arcam CDP, is of course, linked to the DAC via a digital cable. Wouldn't the BD650 work in the same way? I couldn't see the outputs clearly enough, but presume there's optical and digital outs.

Will investigate and also see if my brother-in-law wants to bring over his Caspian to mine.

In some ways, the fact that you have a PS3 almost obviates my suggestion. Unless you don't actually play games and are using it primarily as a BD player?

My suggestion stems primarily from the fact that it's a rather interesting multimedia 'box' which may sate your acquisitive cravings and - almost as an aside - actually serve a useful, multifarious and highly musical purpose.

T

the record spot

Indeed JD - the old Samsung DVD player I had wasn't shamed by the Marantz I use, the Sony BR player isn't either and for some would be preferable. £100 will get you a good quality player. All that says to me is the factors that really make a difference for digital is the quality of the amp and the speakers. If it were my money, I wouldn't be spending a large sum on a dedicated CDP; I would on a DAC, and the largest outlay would be on a universal player like the 650BD you mentioned.

John Duncan

I'm with you more or less. But when I got my DACMagic I heard distinct differences between replay from my Primare and my (70 quid) Pioneer DVD player into the DM - and more so from streamed files - so I do think that transport makes a difference.

That said, given a good transport (which I think the Cambridge would have) I think the audible differences between the 650 and something reasonably high end would not be as marked as the price difference would suggest.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I'm with you more or less. But when I got my DACMagic I heard distinct differences between replay from my Primare and my (70 quid) Pioneer DVD player into the DM - and more so from streamed files - so I do think that transport makes a difference.

That said, given a good transport (which I think the Cambridge would have) I think the audible differences between the 650 and something reasonably high end would not be as marked as the price difference would suggest.

With the Chord's 4 second buffer, I doubt there would be any difference between the Cambridge BD player and the Roksan.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:

With the Chord's 4 second buffer, I doubt there would be any difference between the Cambridge BD player and the Roksan.

the only transport i might have heard a difference with, in comparison to my mac mini, was the cdxt-se which seemed a touch more laid back, a fairly small difference though which i didn't notice immediately, and only apparent on some songs. everything else (c.a. 640c, pioneer stable platter something, sony s370 bluray player) has sounded the same to me. i heard a much bigger difference between transports, with a cyrus dac-xp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts