Musical Fidlelity V DAC?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Anyone got one of these? how does it compare with with the dacmagic? Its £100 cheaper and looks like the money has been spent on the internals rather than nice fascias etc, I like the fact it has usb so I can run my Archos through it or sp/dif via a docker. But I want to hear an improvment on my marantz CD7300 too, would it likely to be better than the marantz dac (crystal) .

A

Anonymous

I have one, and have to say it's terrific. Haven't compared it with the Dacmagic, but my guess would be it's slightly warmer and more musical, but lacks the prat of the Dacmagic.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:
I have one, and have to say it's terrific. Haven't compared it with the Dacmagic, but my guess would be it's slightly warmer and more musical, but lacks the prat of the Dacmagic.

Last week you were saying that the DacMagic was not as good as your MF Dac. Now you say you've not compared it to the DacMagic. Mmmmmm.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Its £157 at the moment in superfi .not seen many reviews on it ,Now that the dacmagic has a had a price hike this seems more tempting,I get the feeling it has a more refined sound than puch and attack,any thoughts

A

Anonymous

Mr Nails, please give it a rest! I was intending to be humorous in the one liner to which you refer, something I now bitterly regret.

Back to the OP: if you have a look at other comments on the web, you'll see they say pretty much the same. To my knowledge there are only two reviews directly comparing the v-dac to the dacmagic; the one in this magazine, and one in a German magazine. Both reviews are complimentary to each, although the German magazine preferred the v-dac and What HiFi the Dacmagic.

The other DAC you might want to consider is the Beresford, which is highly regarded here and in other forums. Think it's cheaper than the v-dac, but not sure.

I don't have a CD7300 but do have a Marantz SA7001 and will do a comparison later. To be honest, I haven't used the Marantz since I went down the DAC road.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Johnno2:Its £157 at the moment in superfi .not seen many reviews on it ,Now that the dacmagic has a had a price hike this seems more tempting,I get the feeling it has a more refined sound than puch and attack,any thoughts

With your amp (decent), I would get the Dac Magic. I've not heard the MF but I don't think that the DM is more expensive just because of it's look from the reviews of this mag and HiFi choice. Hifi choice actually comments on the DM that it sounds much dearer than it looks (something about not being cased by inches of metal).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:The other DAC you might want to consider is the Beresford, which is highly regarded here and in other forums. Think it's cheaper than the v-dac, but not sure.

Careful. The DMM will 'do' you for irresponsible talk like that!

When will people learn?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Careful indeed, Chebby - that utterly unnecessary chip on your shoulder's in danger of becoming a party bucket of fries....
emotion-5.gif

I'd take the Beresford over the Musicial Fidelity, personally - the MF sounds slightly richer, but I prefer the TC-7510's cleaner, tighter sound.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
oops sorry to fan the flames by starting a dac v dac thread
emotion-2.gif
its usually beresford v dacmagic isnt it. All I wanted is a little advice on the vdac, I am worried the beresford might sound to bright and bass light although that might gel well with the Marantz ,AE combo .... I also need to know whether my archos pmp will work directly via usb or I will have to shell out more for the docking station with sp/dif,if thats true then the beresford will be an option as there is no usb, Right I will have to go do my homework on this.....or I could just go vdac and hope I like it, I have tommorrow free do might pop down to Superfi in stockport,I could always pop in richers next door for the dacmagic if I have doubting thoughts
emotion-4.gif
...right Ill get my coat

John Duncan

Johnno2:I also need to know whether my archos pmp will work directly via usb or I will have to shell out more for the docking station with sp/dif

It may depend on particular model, but the one I looked up recently required the dock, didn't output via USB.

A

Anonymous

idc:
And please post your thoughts on your final decision Johnno2. Now what about the Fubar usb DAC?

Why is it called Fubar - after the F.U.B.A.R military term I understand? Doesn't instill much confidence does it?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Ended up with a Dacmagic ! ...and got a good qaulity Cambridge optical interconnect worth £20 thrown in ,deal done, well done Richers. First impressions good but not had time to listen proper yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts