Musical Fidelity V DAC vs. Arcam CD 73 vs. Onkyo DX 7555 cd player

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I am replacing my Nad C 515 BEE cd player for a warmer, smoother, more analog-like sound.I listen mainly classical music.Unfort. ,I have no possibility to listen the 3 items.

What is your opinion about M.F. V DAC ?

The Arcam CD 73 and the Onkyo DX 7555 have the same Wolfson Dac , the very popular 8740 (used in Rega Apollo, Saturn also). What is your experience ?Is there a great diference betwen them?

A

Anonymous

I have the v-dac to which I have added the v-psu, which, much to my amazement, adds a lot to the sound.

For classics it's excellent - good dynamics, lots of detail without being hard or forward, great clarity between the instruments. Big plus is, of course, you can use it for streaming, which is how it mostly works in my system.

By the way, rather than use a CD player I bought a Blue Ray player which goes through the DAC - not much difference in sound that I could tell.

Haven't heard the CD players you mention.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for response, I am curios which cd player for this price(170 pounds) would be a lot better than Musical Fidelity V DAC

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I also have a V-Dac + V-PSU connected to an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundacrd. I can hardly tell the difference between the dac and the souncard which also has a nice dac. But still the v-dac is a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

To be honest, I doubt that you will find the change in sound you want by changing the DA conversion, whether separate of in combination with cd player. I am perfectly happy with the V-DAC, but as others also indicated, it can be fairly hard to find differences. Unless you have a very expensive setup maybe. I my experience speakers, room and amplifier (in more or less that order..) have a much bigger impact.

A

Anonymous

i've had one for about a week now, and i "think" it sounds better than my old marantz cd6003 when connected to my blu-ray player for cds, and my airport express for lossless files played on itunes..

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for response, I think in my not-audiophile system will be no major differences, because both player and the M. F. DAC have the same sound signature (warmish, smooth sound). I will no make mistake choosing one from 3.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts