Musical Fidelity Stance with What Hi Fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi What Hi-Fi, as a subscriber for over 4 years to your magazine, I have enjoyed reading many articles in your magazine that have influenced the kit I have demoed. I moved from a basic Cambridge Audio A500 (with your recommendation of course) up the Musical Fidelity Ladder so to speak. Going from their old A3.2 to A308, to A5pre/Power to KW500 and finally to KWPre/KW750Power.

I noticed after all the years of reading I dont think any of the "main" amplifiers have ever been covered by your magazine, its only now we are starting to see Musical Fidelity's entry level products as well as a few others (DAC, Superchargers etc) being introduced into the magazine. I have always asked myself why this may be. The forum has proved a great way to communicate with the team so I was just wondering what What Hifis stance on Musical Fidelity was.

I appreciate not all manufacturers like to lend their products out and they may be hard to obtain.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We don't have a 'stance' when it comes to any manufacturer.

As with any other product or brand, if Musical Fidelity submits products for review, they'll get comparatively tested against their price/spec peers.

You'd need to ask MF why it doesn't want to submit some of its products - certainly not a decision we've made.

A

Anonymous

Clare - as always, thanks for being helpful. I thought you may have all left the office by now :) Overtime me thinks.

Thats a shame really, especially with them being a British Company.

I would have loved to see some very interesting tests over the years. I remember visting Sevenoaks and having the Primare I30 vs MF A5.

Sliced Bread

Vinny7:
Clare - as always, thanks for being helpful. I thought you may have all left the office by now :) Overtime me thinks.

Thats a shame really, especially with them being a British Company.

I would have loved to see some very interesting tests over the years. I remember visting Sevenoaks and having the Primare I30 vs MF A5.

I assume this also goes for bang-olufsen ;)

A

Anonymous

When does What Hifi purchase products to test and review? I thought I remember reading that you sometimes purchase kit instead of waiting for manufacturers to submit it. Cheers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
We have seen one manufacturer say - on this forum - that they don't want their product reviewed by WHFS&V.

Are there others?

No names necessary. Just wondered if there was more than one.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Let's just say there are some manufacturers/distributors who'd rather have more control over the review process.

I bet Arcam does about now. KEF's been getting panned too of late...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Let's just say there are some manufacturers/distributors who'd rather have more control over the review process.

Cheeky so-and-so's.

I have pondered on the possibility of a manufacturer submitting a review 'sample' that is made entirely of highly toleranced/cherry picked components. It would seem identical to a production model, even under close scrutiny. but perform well above the standard the average punter would experience from theirs.

Okay you could go out and buy (or borrow) one to put on the bench and measure for comparison, but then you may as well review the one you bought. (And I don't suppose deadlines/manpower etc allow for that degree of scrutiny.)

manicm

chebby:

Cheeky so-and-so's.

I have pondered on the possibility of a manufacturer submitting a review 'sample' that is made entirely of highly toleranced/cherry picked components. It would seem identical to a production model, even under close scrutiny. but perform well above the standard the average punter would experience from theirs.

Okay you could go out and buy (or borrow) one to put on the bench and measure for comparison, but then you may as well review the one you bought. (And I don't suppose deadlines/manpower etc allow for that degree of scrutiny.)

This has definitely happened.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm:chebby:

Andrew Everard:Let's just say there are some
manufacturers/distributors who'd rather have more control over the
review process.

Cheeky so-and-so's.

I have pondered on the possibility of a manufacturer submitting a
review 'sample' that is made entirely of highly toleranced/cherry
picked components. It would seem identical to a production model, even
under close scrutiny. but perform well above the standard the average
punter would experience from theirs.

Okay you could go out and buy (or borrow) one to put on the bench
and measure for comparison, but then you may as well review the one you
bought. (And I don't suppose deadlines/manpower etc allow for that
degree of scrutiny.)

Do tell.

A real example would be waaay more interesting than my late night ponderings on what could happen in theory.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
manicm:chebby:

Andrew Everard:Let's just say there are some
manufacturers/distributors who'd rather have more control over the
review process.

Cheeky so-and-so's.

I have pondered on the possibility of a manufacturer submitting a
review 'sample' that is made entirely of highly toleranced/cherry
picked components. It would seem identical to a production model, even
under close scrutiny. but perform well above the standard the average
punter would experience from theirs.

Okay you could go out and buy (or borrow) one to put on the bench
and measure for comparison, but then you may as well review the one you
bought. (And I don't suppose deadlines/manpower etc allow for that
degree of scrutiny.)

Do tell.

A real example would be waaay more interesting than my late night ponderings on what could happen in theory.

Fantastic. The forensic hifi experts at work. No real surprises who's guessing here then
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I have just remembered another company - Merlin Cables - they restrict the reviews of their cables the MD was telling me. Infact he even went on to say that companies dont like to stock their products because value per pound they are miles better than Chord. Lets not get into the issue about that though, just another example of a company that closely watches who reviews their items.

As a consumer however, it cant be the best of news if you are limiting to which companies review your products. Just a thought to the manufacturers out there maybe.... :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:I hope you heard that Ashley.

And why not. If you where a manufacturer would'nt you try and make sure your product is getting exposure where you're more certain it is going to be a favourable one ... ? That still does'nt mean you tampered with the sample nor does it say anything negative about the product.

You got to be shrude though I agree that I would have liked to see the AVI's reviewed here if only to put all the ill-informed info by people that have never even seen, never mind heard them, to rest octopo.

A

Anonymous

I believe there is something of a backlog of orders waiting for Ashley should he just expose himself, naked for us all to see.

People, myself included want to hear more about his products. The more he duct tapes himself up in secrecy bar the selected few the more abuse he will get on here. That can't be good policy? Forget Apple products, forget him being present, forget everything apart from the equipment in question. That's what I'd like to read a review about.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
I believe there is something of a backlog of orders waiting for Ashley should he just expose himself, naked for us all to see.

People, myself included want to hear more about his products. The more he duct tapes himself up in secrecy bar the selected few the more abuse he will get on here. That can't be good policy? Forget Apple products, forget him being present, forget everything apart from the equipment in question. That's what I'd like to read a review about.

I have a great idea octopo ... why don't you get in contact with him and listen to them yourself? I know this is an old fashioned, out dated way of approaching the subject of hifi but perhaps you find it informative
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Octopo:

I have a great idea octopo ... why don't you get in contact with him and listen to them yourself?ÿ I know this is an old fashioned, out dated way of approaching the subject of hifi but perhaps you find it informative
emotion-11.gif

I've been in contact with Willy Wonka and unfortunately a Golden Ticket is beyond my range.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I can understand why some manufacturers and UK distributors don't submit their items for review. After all, if your product is selling well, or if your product sells on luxury/exclusivity, there's little to be gained from putting your gear in for review.

There's also a touch of latest greatest sound about reviews in some magazines, too, which at the moment seems to favour a taut, pacy and detailed one. If you produce products whose criteria are different (and I'd put Musical Fidelity in that camp), then you'll automatically be handicapped, so why risk putting your products up and gaining a lukewarm review?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:manicm:This has definitely happened.
Do tell.

Indeed. Please substantiate this rather serious accusation or it will be deleted.

manicm

Andrew Everard:chebby:manicm:This has definitely happened.

Do tell.

Indeed. Please substantiate this rather serious accusation or it will be deleted.

Firstly I am not accusing every maker of doing this, or any publication of knowingly accepting such products for review, but there have been a few times where I came across a product where the maker admitted it was modified in some way or the other so a positive outcome could result. I would certainly not be the first in claiming this.

I don't think it's prevalent now, but this has certainly happened in the past. Also, in my country there's a local AV publication which after nearly 20 years I still cannot take seriously. For starters they refuse to do comparative tests - their excuse being that they only select equipment from reputable makers and that a good piece of equipment will always sound great and therefore comparisons will be akin to apples and oranges. And they do review budget and expensive equipment which makes it all the more baffling. Worse, 7 years ago I naively bought a DVD player to replace my CDP as well on their recommendation stating what a great CD player it was - and I wanted to smash it to bits.

And this particular publication gives glowing reviews of 98% of the products they are handed.

matthewpiano

I think the frightening thing for some manufacturers (and the good thing for consumers) is that What Hi-Fi review products completely independently of the manufacturer. Whereas some other magazines appear to be very much 'in bed' with particular manufacturers and use representatives from them on their reviewing panel (often involving reviews of their own product), WHF are much more watertight in their approach. From all the evidence I've seen (posts on here by the WHF team, information on this website, the actual reviews in the magazine) the manufacturer actually has very little contact with the reviewing process other than the delivery (and occasionally set-up) of their product (WHF staff please correct me if my impression here is wrong).

I also feel, after years and years of reading the major hi-fi magazines, that WHF is not in the slightest bit afraid of upsetting the apple cart if a product from a revered manufacturer fails to make the grade. The badge on the front is forgotten and the sound and operation of the product is paramount - an approach which WHF seems to have in common with their Haymarket sister title What Car. If, for example, a Skoda Octavia proves itself a better all round package than its VW Golf/Jetta stable mate, What Car would have no hesitation in stating that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts