Musical Fidelity B1

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Came across one of these during my daily searches on e-bay for a good replacement for my Arcam Alpha II......wondered if anyone had any experience with them and how they would stand up against say a Pioneer A400 or Arcam Alpha 5 or Rega Brio(1st incarnation).....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Similar.

I recommended my friend buy the Musical Fidelity B1 amp all those years ago, but he bought the Arcam Alpha - his preference. I thought the B1 had a bit more energy and zip to it, but that's what I like. It was a cracking little amp in it's day, but whether you think it's better than those you mentioned would really be personal preference. I was never keen on the A400, so the B1 would be my choice there.

Check the serial number.....one of my customers bought one which went faulty, and when we spoke to MF they asked the serial number - which in this case was below 10, and they promptly offered to replace it with another as it was faulty - something tells me there might have been something special about those early few - either that or they were dangerous
emotion-2.gif
. 'But seriously', the replacement was half the weight.....
emotion-40.gif

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
So you would say it would sound as good if not better than the Alpha 5 and Brio.....

Sources will be Rega planar 2, Arcam Alpha One cd player, Nakamichi BR2 tape deck, speakers Mission 302e.....I play all sorts from classical to rock

There's a thing does the MF have built in phono stage.....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It'll sound as good as the Acam, and more exciting than the Arcam or the Rega. Quality-wise, I don't think it'll be uto the Rega for pure quality, but the Rega won't have the MF's balls.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The B1 was part of a system that initially got me into hifi alongside a Marantz CDP (with wooden sides) and Tannoy DC2000 speakers. Sounded superb at Uni.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thought I was close to making a descision........looking over the new e-bay listings I notice an Arcam Alpha 10.....never seen one of these come up before......making me rethink the amp/cd combos in my different rooms......

In my bedroom I have my Arcam Alpha 7se, partnered with my Sony STRDB 940 receiver through B & W 602s3 speakers.....

In the spare room as said Alpha 1 cd player with the faulty Alpha II amp through Mission 302e's

In my office at home I have an Arcam Cd72 with an Audiolab 8000A through Mission M33is

Should I win the Alpha 10 think I will pair it with the 7se in the office with the 33is; put the cd 72 upstairs in the bedroom and the Audiolab in the spare room.....

E-bay.....a blessing or curse.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts