Music to audition Tube based amps ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering what kind of music it take to bring to the forefront the strengths of tube base amps.

Just received one this morning, and really don't think I can tell it apart from a similar solid state amp.

(Or maybe I should just let it burn in and stop making any judgements until after my cold has subsided).

what does a cold do to the listening process?

A

Anonymous

The grados being more upfront sound a lot better than the sennheisers when you have a cold. :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally, like when I audition kit, I'd be looking at music that may show up any potential weaknesses rather than just highlighting the strengths. With particular reference to the kinds of music I will actualy be listening to.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi MoData

Which tube amp are you listening to?

What tubes do well, is bring a naturalness of tone to the music, allowing the emotion to shine through.

They work well with voice, acoustic stuff and un-miked instruments like piano and violin (eg. Norah Jones, Traditional Jazz, Classical Concertos and Opera).

They often need sensitive speakers, are not ideal if you want real "bite", clinical detail and really tight bass. (Heavy Rock, Techno, Eminem etc)

This is a slight generalization, but you probably get the idea. A good tube amp won't sound soft, lush and syrupy, but lively, exciting with great transient response....what were you expecting it to sound like? - if it was the former, then that could be throwing you off. Listen for an exciting realism, and allow time to understand what you're hearing.

If you like the presentation, it's very hard to come back from.

Regards

Cno

A

Anonymous

I'm listening to the Schiit Audio Valhalla. It's a tubed headphone amp. It sounds great. They are only subtle differences between it and the Asgard (the non-tubed version).

I'm guessing the tubes are in place to drive higher imedence headphones, since it's easier to generate voltage swings using tubes. The voicing is a nice side effect. I'll try to listen for what you recommended.

Thanks!

T

the record spot

Which music? The music that you like and listen to regularly in the first instance and I can't think of any other isntances thereafter, except to take the best recordings/masterings of that music. Anything else is pointless (IMO!).

A

Anonymous

It turns out that I had the tubes plugged in incorrectly. The amp comes with 2 small and 2 big tubes. I had the order reversed, and was wondering what the fuss was all about.

It still sounded good though. That's the funny part.

Now that I've reversed the tubes around, doesn't sound muffled at all. It's nice and expansive. I would probably be still hard pressed to A/B the Valhalla vs. the Asgard, but the Valhalla sounds great. I guess I'll stick with the tube amp and send the Asgard back.

Or maybe I'll keep both. The Asgard for work, the tubed valhalla for home.
smiley-wink.gif

Will have to see what argument I'll have to come up with for the wifey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts