Music through AV Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please help

I have an Onkyo 905, Dali Ikon 6 5.1, but rely currently on PS3 as a CD player. I have already been advised (by Claire -thanks) that the PS3 is not good for music, and recommended to buy a CDP.

The question is, what do I have to do to my set up to get a decent music sound. The options I have currently are:

1.run a cheapish CDP (Marrantz 6002 £200) through the Onkyo

2. run a mid range (£750ish) CDP through the Onkyo

3. buy a mid range CDP and stereo amplifier (£750 each) and run the front 2 speakers through the stereo amp, using the pre out on the Onkyo.

So my options range from £200 to £1500ish - I don't mind spending £1500 if it will greatly improve music sound, but would be even happier if the Onkyo can deliver with a decent CDP. My current setup sounds awful with music so I in need of some advice.

Thanks all

A

Anonymous

pretty much the same quandry i have but with the onk 875. I think you will find that if you use your 905 as the amp the 6002 will be a vast improvement for your music (so ive been advised previously by this forum). The third option would give you the best results though, by a long way. I have booked a demo to test a lyngdorf cd1, cyrus 8 and the psu and a primare 30 to try with the 875 to hear how they sound (with the view of adding an amp next couple of months). There's a test feature in next months mag for cd players around £1000 which should heip us all to draw up a shortlist.

A

Anonymous

How would you balance the speakers sound levels with the rest of the speakers using the pre outs to the stereo amp?

A

Anonymous

there are quite a few threads on this if you search the forum. They explain the setup far better than i could. Hope that helps

A

Anonymous

Surely your best option would be to go for the Naim Nait 5i and use its unity gain Av input and then the Onyko would sort out the levels on set up. The fact that its ment to be the best amp at your price point is just a bonus! I just wish my 605 my pre outs :-(.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="keweller"]Surely your best option would be to go for the Naim Nait 5i and use its unity gain Av input[/quote]

Agreed. And you could partner it with a secondhand Naim CD5 or CD3.5 player, which would make a cracking music system.

A

Anonymous

A question for Mr E, What would you say is better value:

Nait 5i £500

or

Nait 5i £750

The question really being does the 5i sound £250 better?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
How do you quantify £250 better? Does it sound 50% better? No. But IMHO it's worth the extra money. Mind you, the old 5i at £500 is a very good buy indeed. I'd try to hear both, and make your own decision.

A

Anonymous

OK - thanks all. I will go and have a demo and will report back.

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't just a superb POWER amplifier do the trick in combination with an Onkyo 875 pre-out to bring real high end stereo play back into the surround setup? You all talk about combining it with a stereo amplifier like the Naim Nait 5i. I thought that the Onkyo 875 or 905 would be used as a pre-amplifier? Or would you connect the cd-player directly to the integrated amplifier? I'm confused, could anyone help me out?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="lbwdevoer"]Wouldn't just a superb POWER amplifier do the trick in combination with an Onkyo 875 pre-out to bring real high end stereo play back into the surround setup? You all talk about combining it with a stereo amplifier like the Naim Nait 5i. I thought that the Onkyo 875 or 905 would be used as a pre-amplifier? Or would you connect the cd-player directly to the integrated amplifier? I'm confused, could anyone help me out?[/quote]

Pre-amp first. Power-amp second. You can't amplify rubbish and expect it to come out good. Whereas you can lightly amplify a good source and expect it to come out good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all those that have contributed and to the reviews in the magazine which I found invaluable in 'shortlisting'. Yesterday I installed a Roksan Kandy MkIII CDP and amplifier to my current system using the pre out on my Onkyo 905. The difference is sound is amazing. I'm very happy indeed with the sound, far better than I imagined. Never enjoyed listening to my CDs as much before. May not be perfect for all (I'm no expert) but I'm overjoyed. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS