Music server help needed...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have never really liked cd’s so i have decided to adopt a e server but i am seeking for top quality results but at the same time i find it hard to spend the price of a Linn Akurate DS or a Naim system. My question is, if the source is bit perfect (flac/wav or aiff files) extracted from the NAS with a Sonos backed with a high end DAC will I obtain a ‘high end’ result or not? My present system is a Wadia 6i cd player which is what I wish to replace, a Linn sondek Lingo1, circus, Akito and Adikt turntable which works wonders, YBA 2 pre amp and amp, Martin Logan Ascent hybrid speakers and MIT cables.

I feel a little lost with all this new technology… your help is appreciated.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Scotty said:
I have never really liked cd’s so i have decided to adopt a e server but i am seeking for top quality results but at the same time i find it hard to spend the price of a Linn Akurate DS or a Naim system. My question is, if the source is bit perfect (flac/wav or aiff files) extracted from the NAS with a Sonos backed with a high end DAC will I obtain a ‘high end’ result or not?

There are certainly people who think so, the Sonos forum has a thread regarding people using the ZP90 in a "high-end" system, one chap in particular has spent lots of money, including a digital reclocker between the ZP and the DAC. I don't know how good your Wadia CD player is but I knew a chap who had one of their top end CD players a few years back and I'd guess that to get that sort of performance the sort of money you'd be spending on the DAC would put you well into the Linn DS or Naim UNITI territory. It's like anything, the more you spend the more you'll get out (up to a point).

You could also investigate modded ZP90s from the likes of Cullen etc. something like that may mean you would require quite such a good DAC (or any DAC at all perhaps), again the costs can get significant (there are several levels of mod available).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice. I believe the major problem on todays server is jitter so whatever DAC you use this come thorugh...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Scotty said:
Thanks for your advice. I believe the major problem on todays server is jitter so whatever DAC you use this come thorugh...

Yes that's why the chap I mentioned above uses a re-clocker, it's supposed to remove or drastically reduce jitter. I think this is the aim of the ZP90 mods as well, at least in part.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts