Music or Movies?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Which do you prefer?

I'm a music person. I can enjoy a good film (and even some of the bad ones) but fundamentally I'm a music person.
I can sit down and listen to an album from start to finish in silence, enjoy it, and 'soak it in' in the same way many other people only enjoy TV and films.

Maybe some people need the visual stimuli, such as Mrs Fubar. She cannot just sit and listen to something. She either reads, or types on her laptop, or gets bored and falls asleep.

Ultimately, I'd rather sit with headphones on and listen to a play on the radio than watch a dramatization of the same story on TV. Paradoxically I find it more involving.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Im with Big Chris....it's great as you get a different sense of satisfaction(or disatifaction).

Trouble is jake of all trades comes to mind,unless your lucky to be able to throw money at your system

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Which do you prefer? I'm a music person. I can enjoy a good film (and even some of the bad ones) but fundamentally I'm a music person. I can sit down and listen to an album from start to finish in silence, enjoy it, and 'soak it in' in the same way many other people only enjoy TV and films. Maybe some people need the visual stimuli, such as Mrs Fubar. She cannot just sit and listen to something. She either reads, or types on her laptop, or gets bored and falls asleep. Ultimately, I'd rather sit with headphones on and listen to a play on the radio than watch a dramatization of the same story on TV. Paradoxically I find it more involving.

Sadly, I think the likes of us are a dieing breed... can't beat a good talking book too!.

Mac

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Most of the time I'm busy doing other things when I listen to music but I also enjoy listening without any other distractions too.

What type of media do I enjoy the most?

Music first, computer games second and TV third.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Macspur said:
can't beat a good talking book too!.
Correct, but many these days seem to be dictated by computer-generated text-to-speech programs, which I seriously don't like in a major way.

Have heard of this, but thankfully not listened to any... local library has pretty good selection with excellent, usually actors for readers.

Mac

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a good question -

Movies are great, but once you've watched one and seen 'who done it' etc. I can't be bothered to sit through it all over again - but with music, I must have listened to some of the 70's albums, literally thousands of times...

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Music for me. I sometimes sit for hours just listening and relaxing, you can't beat it.

I love movies but only watch them here and there mostly with the other half.

Paul.

If I had two hours to kill and no one else is at home, I will almost always go for a movie over music. I don't really watch much TV, so I will listen to music when I have short chunks of time up to an hour or so.

trj007

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Which do you prefer? I'm a music person. I can enjoy a good film (and even some of the bad ones) but fundamentally I'm a music person. I can sit down and listen to an album from start to finish in silence, enjoy it, and 'soak it in' in the same way many other people only enjoy TV and films..

Me too.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
music, of course. I tried cinema sound and got bored of it , you can only listen to so many bangs and crashes and cars screeching across the speakers , the novelty soon wears off. and it starts to grate

A

Anonymous

50/50

But if the missus is out music first movies second.

Relishing in listening to vinyl in anger the last 4 months after a few years of cd's and flac/mp3

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Music first for me. Always music on in the house even if its on the old Pure dab radio.

Listening to a few records after a long day is a great way to unwind!

I find movies are more of an event as you need a good two hours to enjoy them whereas you can crack on with the cooking etc or of course contribute to the forums on my iPad when listening to music!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ultimately, I'd rather sit with headphones on and listen to a play on the radio...

I'd rather do this than listen to music (through the speakers in my case as I dislike wearing headphones).

Nice to find others here who enjoy radio drama.

"Radio: It's like television, but the pictures are better."

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
In preference order music, Radio 4 and World Service, TV news or current affairs and documentaries on catch up, series of old TV comedies, movies.

I've not watched live TV for years.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
Ultimately, I'd rather sit with headphones on and listen to a play on the radio...

I'd rather do this than listen to music (through the speakers in my case as I dislike wearing headphones).

Nice to find others here who enjoy radio drama.

"Radio: It's like television, but the pictures are better."

Absolutely. Though I do prefer headphones and a quiet dark room when listening to radio dramas, rather than speakers. I find it incredibly immersive that way, particularly if it's been recorded really well with proper due attention to creating a 3D soundstage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts