music..energy .. aspirations .. observations.. where are you ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
well if your in your twenties or younger , you probably just get a natural energetic high when you listen to good music , you dont care about the sound quality , your too busy enjoying it , and thinking of the good times to come , all the time you have to enjoy life , and how great its going to be , your full of energy and enthusiasm ..

so your in your thirties , still love to get up and dance , still get that buzz from music , your still enthusiastic and have aspirations for better things in life , better places to be in , better job , relationships etc ? not too critical of the music quality , your still enjoying it , right ?

so your a bit older , maybe just a bit more critical of how your music sounds ? , you derive less energy from it ? but still get great pleasure ? still aspire to better things in the future ? perhaps your a bit older and just find it soothing and relaxing ? comforting ?

where are you on your musical journey ? still dancing around the house ? what do you aspire to when enjoying your music ? does music energise you ? or are you more analytical of the sound ?

ps .. im very drunk now .. but thought this might be a fun thread [:p] .. and im loving my music ..[H]

T

the record spot

Still loving it as much as I ever did, less critical of the components and happy with the sound I get. Been on the critical road and I'm not convinced it made the listening pleasure greater, though I'm sure that getting older has an impact too (the ears are getting worse over time!). It's a great hobby though; a lot of fun and needn't be too expensive.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Struggling to get past the spelling of you're is where I'm at Mr Flynn.

But all of the above, depending on the day. I may be 40 but I still enjoy a good night out getting off my head to music once in a while, perhaps not as much as 20 years ago tho'.

idc

Posting with a bevvy in me for the first time in ages
emotion-22.gif
The music is great, but thankfully that is so, all the time.

A

Anonymous

idc:Posting with a bevvy in me for the first time in ages
emotion-22.gif
The music is great, but thankfully that is so, all the time.
emotion-22.gif
emotion-21.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Approaching my thirty-nineteenth birthday and still passionate about music and hifi. Also love the buzz of discovering new artists, from a broad range of genres.

Recently rekindled my enthusiasm for gigs. But the all-too common distraction that is the hub-bub of peasants jabbering during performances is really, really, really hacking me off. Was never a problem at a Clash, Bowie, Roxy Music, Marley, Who, Prince etc, etc gig.

idc

6th.replicant:Approaching my thirty-nineteenth birthday and still passionate about music and hifi. Also love the buzz of discovering new artists, from a broad range of genres.

Recently rekindled my enthusiasm for gigs.
But the all-too common distraction that is the hub-bub of peasants jabbering during performances is really, really, really hacking me off. Was never a problem at a Clash gig.

Same here and, to show my age, I wear earplugs designed for musicians to reduce the noise!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
idc:...I wear earplugs designed for musicians to reduce the noise!
But don't you think that today's PA systems have stunning sound quality? Massive Attack's is a standout IMO - it sounds like a high-end hifi but on a grand scale, with a lung-rattling subwoofer.

At gigs during the '70s and '80s it was always a case of thinking, "Wish the drums sounded more like they do on the records/my hifi - where's the bass??"

Nowadays, it's completely vice-versa.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
hopefully soon buying my last major bits of kit, time to get back to vinyl, how much??? just got the living room set up right inc av. Find I'm quite often disappointed with gigs, its like being at the flicks plus I hate these big arenas and the kids phone me to turn it down. Enjoying the 'sound' of Radio Paradise thru analog i/c. Hey if you cant surf & post when bevvied wheres the fun. Time for another KWAK maybe.

A

Anonymous

I'm still loving music. Since I've been ripping cds to i-Tunes I've rediscovered albums that I've not listened to in the best part of 20 years. I still get a buzz from hearing a new band that throws something new into the mix. I've lost that musical chip on my shoulder that I had in my younger days. Now I just appreciate a good track for what it is. Not just who it's by or what they stand for.

idc

6th.replicant:idc:...I wear earplugs designed for musicians to reduce the noise!
But don't you think that today's PA systems have stunning sound quality? Massive Attack's is a standout IMO - it sounds like a high-end hifi but on a grand scale, with a lung-rattling subwoofer.

At gigs during the '70s and '80s it was always a case of thinking, "Wish the drums sounded more like they do on the records/my hifi - where's the bass??"

Nowadays, it's completely vice-versa.

Yes and no. The Armadillo and Stereo in Glasgow have made efforts to have decent speakers and acoustics, but Nice N'Sleezy and The Barrowlands are terrible.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
NSYGrinner:
I'm still loving music. Since I've been ripping cds to i-Tunes I've rediscovered albums that I've not listened to in the best part of 20 years. I still get a buzz from hearing a new band that throws something new into the mix. I've lost that musical chip on my shoulder that I had in my younger days. Now I just appreciate a good track for what it is. Not just who it's by or what they stand for.

I found myself listening to a David Gray album the other day, it'll be Phil Collins next. Oh dear.

A

Anonymous

I hope that's Phil Collins on Spotify not something that's in the back of the collection. The things I've rediscovered recently are Kings X, Living Colour, early Peter Gabriel, LLoyd Cole & The Commotions and Pil.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Yep, I also now don't care whether it's considered hip or not.

Used to be terrible, though. As soon as a band/singer achieved chart success, they were ooot: "Anyone want to buy the Police's album... Tubeway Army... U2...?"

David Gray is great! Always turns out well recorded/mixed album, too.

Katie Melua's current is ace.

Recently(ish) 'discovered' I Am Kloot; Buika; Afro Celt Sound System; Melody Gardot; Hilary Hahn; Jordi Savall/HespŠrion XX; Anouar Brahem; Terry Callier; and Portico Quartet.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
At 52 I'm definitely enjoying music of all types as much as I ever did. Although it's nice at this stage in my life to have enough disposable income to indulge a bit in upgrades, they are few and far between, and it's still the music that's the main thing - the gear is simply a means to an end for me. I have to admit, from a classical music point of view, I've never looked back after buying my first CD player. I was almost convinced that the record companies back in the day employed men in white coats to deliberately add clicks and pops to the most serene parts of classical works - unless you were there you can't imagine how irritating this could be, so to be relieved of all that, along with wow, flutter, end-of-side distortion, etc. was a dream come true.

Absolutely LOVE my iPod Touch for rediscovering great stuff in my collection that I'd completely missed or forgotten. Spotify is also such a great resource - heck, a year ago I hadn't even HEARD of Porcupine Tree!

In the last couple of years I've also been getting back into performing on my drums a lot more (also classical percussion), which is a wonderful way of expressing myself through music, if that doesn't sound too cheesy. Add to that fact that I'm still gainfully employed in the record industry, and you can see that music is very much a full-on thing for me. The only slight downside is that I developed tinnitus a few months ago after I forgot to take my earplugs to a gig in which I was performing. Currently looking at alternative treatments to try and aleviate this, but it's not hampering my listening pleasure particularly. Still looking forward to the speaker demo tomorrow - will report back on my thoughts!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I am just shy of 32, and am constantly looking for new music. Whether that be through friends recommendations, or radio, or last.fm. Ive just recently found Spotify too, which is a great thing to have, although I think you listen in a different way. I prefer to stick a CD on a listen from start to finish, but with Spotify its more about pick and mix I find.

I also find that I regularly revisit old music, when I say old, I mean those albums I played to death when I was in my teens. Smashing Pumpkins, Leftfield, Oasis, Massive Attack and all that stuff. As I am sure many other people find, its those albums that take me back to a place or a time, which is something I think only music can do.

With regards to my HiFi, I am in a little bit of a no mans land at the moment. I like the setup I have for certain reasons, but I liked my previous setup for other reasons, and I cant really work out where to go to make it just about listening to the music, rather than worrying that the bass isnt quite so tight on this setup as it was in the last...

6th.replicant:But don't you think that today's PA systems have stunning sound quality? Massive Attack's is a standout IMO - it sounds like a high-end hifi but on a grand scale, with a lung-rattling subwoofer.

I'd agree with that. The most amazing PA I have heard for a long time was in the Roundhouse when Elbow played there, maybe last year or the year before. Crystal clear, fantastic sound, despite the obvious acoustic "challenges" in the Roundhouse. I stood right at the back with the bar behind me, dead centre of the stage. Brilliant.

SteveR750

6th.replicant:. Recently rekindled my enthusiasm for gigs. .

Me too. at 44 I feel I am on the downward slop of being grown up, and have cast aside all those mature sensible (?) aims of big house, flash car, self important job etc etc. All I want to do now is do things my way, grow my hair long, not shave and generally behave like a free spirit. This involves an increasing self delusion that I am a musician, and therefrore must spend a lot more time in the company of like minded folk.

So, I'm a middle aged, mid life crisis just passed, (divorce is about 2 months away) on the cusp of realising that retirment is not that far ahead, but not quite ready to accept it just yet. And my hair is definitley falling out....
emotion-6.gif

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
43 here, and while I'd like to think I'm as passionate about music as I ever was, I admit I don't invest as much time and money into it as I did 15-20 years ago. Still love a good gig - my enthusiasm was re-ignited about five years ago when my favourite band from back in the day, The Wedding Present, started gigging again; I'm due to see them five times on their current tour!

Oddly, having been a rock/guitar fan pretty much all my life, I'm developing more of an interest in electronic stuff these days - I think there's more interesting things going on in that area. My last couple of CD purchases were by Animal Collective and F*** Buttons (pardon my French!).

In terms of kit, I'm in the slightly difficult position of being not too unhappy with the budget stuff I have, but with the nagging feeling that at my age I should really have moved onto higher-end gear - and should maybe do so while my hearing is still good enough. Only problem is I don't like spending money!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Cass:Animal Collective

Which album have you got Cass? Is it Merriweather Post Pavilion or the new one? How do you find it? Its a bit like the Beach Boys on acid which by all accounts would be good as i like the Beach Boys but i cant seem to listen to the album as a whole, those harmonies!

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Age 68. Listen to more music now, and far more critically. Mostly classical and more chamber music (which I never listened to when I was younger). I need to go regularly to live concerts. It is the music that is important rather than the equipment.

I put my CD collection on a NAS (using Apple Lossless) and use a Sonos system. One bonus was that I discovered that I had a lot more interesting music than I had realised, and could play it easily withought hunting through CD boxes! Also solved the storge problem in the sitting room!

About 6 years ago I replaced my 35 year old HiFi system and TV surround system with an Arcam 300 and Spendor speakers as a rationalisation. I'll probably add a separate stereo amplifier for the L & R speakers and a DAC for more detail in the next year or two.

Would like to download higher quality music files from sites like Linn, but internet speeds where I live are pretty slow.

Andrew

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750:

6th.replicant:. Recently rekindled my enthusiasm for gigs. .

Me too. at 44 I feel I am on the downward slop of being grown up, and have cast aside all those mature sensible (?) aims of big house, flash car, self important job etc etc. All I want to do now is do things my way, grow my hair long, not shave and generally behave like a free spirit. This involves an increasing self delusion that I am a musician, and therefrore must spend a lot more time in the company of like minded folk.

So, I'm a middle aged, mid life crisis just passed, (divorce is about 2 months away) on the cusp of realising that retirment is not that far ahead, but not quite ready to accept it just yet. And my hair is definitley falling out....
emotion-6.gif

Hell , at 44, you're still just a boy . Wait 'til you reach 50 , with you're hair all slipped down your body , your knees giving up and your stomach obscuring your feet . Then you'll know you're getting old . If I could be just one age I would like to have been 45 all my life . Old enough to know better but still young enough to walk up a flight of stairs without running out of breath !

Growing your hair long when it is falling out is not a good look . You should go short . Then you won't notice so much when it finally does go ,

Nick

matthewpiano

I've been through an intense and extended period of getting very obsessed with analysing the sound of the hi-fi and at times it gets in the way of the music too much. I'm 31 now (well for a few days anyway!) and the time in my life when I most enjoyed just listening to and exploring the music was as a teenager. For most of that time I had a fairly simple system based around an old Sansui amp but it was a great friend in introducing me to a vast range of music.

At this stage I'm really questioning the value of pursuing the absolute high fidelity thing much further. There is one potential change to my system on the horizon which might be considered a down-grade in some circles but which, I feel, will take me to the point where my focus will purely be on the music.

It is far too easy to get sucked up into being obsessed with imaging, soundstaging, detail levels etc and it all gets a bit daft in the end. At times its made me more tense and for me one of the whole benefits of having such a big amount of music on tap is the fact that it relaxes/excites/inspires me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts