music angel valve amp

Sonny

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

I recently acquired (a gift) a Music Angel EL34 "mini mengue" 40w tube amp (China hifi). Some would be familiar with it - whether one likes them or not is not the point of my post. like many "audiophile" amps, the EQ is very flat, and this is not acceptable with some types of music I like.

is there a common electronic internal mod to improve bottom end and warmth from this amp without resorting to a GE, which has improved bottom end but lessened the quality over all. Changing speakers is not an option at the moment, and I dont think that will do the trick.

As is, switching back to my old 80's Pioneer SS system is seeming more preferrable than trying to convince myself that all the heat, expensive tubes and thin sound is somehow more "pure". Im not looking for a high brow resonse from the audiophile elite - just an improvement that everyday listeners use.

I am familiar with valves as I have used them in guitar amps for years and the benefits are obvious for that. Im not convinced so far that they are the best option for Hifi however.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sonny said:
Hi all.

I recently acquired (a gift) a Music Angel EL34 "mini mengue" 40w tube amp (China hifi). Some would be familiar with it - whether one likes them or not is not the point of my post. like many "audiophile" amps, the EQ is very flat, and this is not acceptable with  some types of music I like.

is there a common electronic internal mod to improve bottom end and warmth from this amp without resorting to a GE, which has improved bottom end but lessened the quality over all. Changing speakers is not an option at the moment, and I dont think that will do the trick.

As is, switching back to my old 80's Pioneer SS system is seeming more preferrable than trying to convince myself that all the heat, expensive tubes and thin sound is somehow more "pure". Im not looking for a high brow resonse from the audiophile elite - just an improvement that everyday listeners use.

I am familiar with valves as I have used them in guitar amps for years and the benefits are obvious for that. Im not convinced so far that they are the best option for Hifi however. 

I love the power of ss amps but i must admit, once i heard a valve play private investigations and i was blown away

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
with 'this is not acceptable' which was my bone of contention when I replaced my amp. It has tone controls.. shock! horror! BUT I'm in control and whether or not I actually use them doesn't matter, the fact is if I need to, I can. I don't see anything wrong with a GE which is probably your only option if you're not going to start swapping things out. As long as you turn things down and not up you should hit the sweet spot eventually.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The amp in question is a pretty inexpensive model which in my experience makes it very sensitive to partnering speakers, particularly speakers.

Lack of bass weight suggests inadequate output transformers, possibly compounded by your speakers, which might be difficult to match. The amp-speaker interface could be pivotal here, what are they?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
The amp in question is a pretty inexpensive model which in my experience makes it very sensitive to partnering speakers, particularly speakers.

Lack of bass weight suggests inadequate output transformers, possibly compounded by your speakers, which might be difficult to match. The amp-speaker interface could be pivotal here, what are they?

Agreed.

With Valve Amps, the quality of the valves is important, but the quality of the transformers is paramount, which is why very good Valve Amps are expensive. Music Angel Amps are not very expensive, which should tell you something.

40 Watts for a Valve Amp should be enough to move sufficient air. My 24 Watt SET Amp has often been used during house parties!

Please don't let this experience put you off Valves. With the right Amp, the sound is sublime.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
@Sonny:

Look her for some commentary and 'modifications':

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/59070-my-experience-music-angel-el34-pp.html

Good luck!

Sonny

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I agree. Wouldn't have paid for one of these myself, and it has a distinctly backyard feel about the construction.

The OTs do seem cheap, ill have to find aftermarket improvements too make this amp worthwhile.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
It too syas (1st post in this link) that he found mistakes in the electronic components on the board when he opened the amp. He carried out some corrections, and voila!

Sonny

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, but the thread is ten years old. I have changed OTs in a hiFi amp.before, But followed someone's recommendation. Ill need to find which OT would be suitable for this amp, perhaps some Edcor model?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts