Multi-use setup advice please for around £8-900? (TV/stream)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

Shortly to move to a new place and could really do with some advice as to how best I could achieve what I'm looking for, if you would be so kind. It's a little complicated, so bear with me!

I'd like a Hi-Fi solution that will enable me to enjoy sounds a.) wirelessly from my Macbook pro, where much of my music resides b.) from the TV which will reside in the same part of the living room and c.) from my DJ setup (where I use turntables and a CD Player too). I already have some KRK Rokit 5 monitors which I use as part of my DJ setup, but figured I could use a separate set of outputs on my Allen & Heath mixer and wire this into a line input on the Hi-Fi for some extra boost, especially because the monitors are pointed straight at me and are no use for others in the room who are listening.

I initially looked at Sonos for streaming from my Macbook, with the assumption it would work fine for the other purposes too. However it has transpired that while it would be great for listening to sounds from said device, it would be useless as supplementary speakers to my DJ setup as there is a small but significant 70mg lag when dealing with latency from sound source to broadcast. For someone cueing up records and hearing them out of sync with the reset of the room, this is simply a non starter! Sonos tell me this lag affects anything plugged directly into their speakers too, which again is a problem for video I'm watching off my Macbook and TV as well.

It therefore dawned on me that I probably just need a more conventional wired Hi-Fi solution and that I should probably just buy a Hi-Fi amp/speakers combo and plug my DJ setup and TV into it accordingly, then buy a Bluetooth link like the QED uPlay device to broadcast from my Macbook into that. So this is what I think I shall do. 

Could some experts therefore please recommend an amp and speaker combination for up to £800-900 max that would serve these purposes adequately? I understand that home cinema sound and hi-fi sound are different things and that something that suits my listening purposes probably won't be ideal for the TV and vice versa, but tbh I am not overly fussed about the TV side of things. I just figured it would be nice to have some supplementary sound to what's coming out of the TV's fairly meagre speakers. I will be using the setup primarily to a.) supplement the sound coming from my DJ setup when I'm mixing or listening to a CD and b.) do a good job of the sound coming out of my Macbook wirelessly. I've noticed that the Monitor BX2 speakers and Yamaha amp seem to fit well into this price bracket and are your highest recommended options but whether these are compatible or a viable option I simply don't know, I'm a real newbie with Hi-Fi and would love some advice.

Thanks a lot in advance!

A

Anonymous

Oh, and also would rule out the addition of a subwoofer to the mix too if the amp supported it, if anyone could help out on that front too it would be great! I'm also likely to need a pair of speaker stands going by the way I envisage things set up, so any advice on that front would be appreciated too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts