MS40 vs. AV 40 for connecting to PC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Lately, I've been looking for better quality speakers for my PC (Dell dimension 9200 with default sound card). I've been using the default analogue speakers for a few years, but suffice to say they're junk. I've just found out that my PC happens to have a S/PDIF output. Unfortunately, I don't really have the budget to just a buy a separate receiver for my PC. So I came across the Behringer MS-40. This particular pair of speakers is the only one I was able to find that has an optical input functionality for the relatively low price. Another set I came across was the AV 40. The AV 40 doesn't have the optical input but it seems to receive very positive reviews. From what I've read, AV 40 is handling the sound a little bit better than the MS40. On the other hand, it doesn't have the optical input. I find it hard to decide which one to pick, especially since I have no experience with any digital sound. Of course the question is: which one would you advise me, and why?

Thanks! :)

BTW. It's maybe good to note, that although both are monitor speakers, I will mostly use them for other purposes like playing music or movies. Again, they're one of the few I could find that don't really require a receiver, so that why I'm considering these.

A

Anonymous

Does nobody know this? I really don't know which one I should take.

A

Anonymous

I have the MS40s and M-Audio DX4s which I think are the previous (similar?) model to the AV 40s.

For desktop listening at moderate volumes I prefer the DX4s, but if you want to fill a room with a bit more sound you are much better off with the MS40s. The MS40s are a lot bigger and go louder than the DX4s, but for low volume background listening I prefer the DX4s.

I have not heard them but from the specs the MS20s are more similar to the AV 40s.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for you response!

Ok, it's good to know you own the MS-40. I'm mainly interested in that one because it offers optical input. What's your experience with the MS-40 in general? Are there any downsides of it?

A

Anonymous

MS 40 downsides....

Not great lookers & no covers/grills

Relatively large size for their performance (recommend you check the dimensions)

Can sound a bit boxy sometimes due to large un-braced cabinet sides

Being realistic, at their price, they offer a lot of VFM like most Behringer products. They are just a bit industrial, but this is OK for me because I use them with an AE to fill my garage with tunes whilst working on my car.

A

Anonymous

Hmm... makes me unsure if the MS40 is the pair of speakers I need. I don't really need large room-fillers. The AV 40 is said to be less 'industrial' and to produce more balanced sound than the MS40. I'm still leaning more towards the MS40 since it has optical in, and the media player I use (and will probably connect it most to) happens to have a terrible DAC. Can you comment on how the analog compares with the optical in (if you've ever tried it)?

A

Anonymous

I have tried the MS40s connected optically from the AE and using the analogue out from the AE and the sound is the same in my opinion. This suggests that the DAC in the speakers is of comparable quality to the DAC in the AE. Obviously if you have a poor quality DAC in your PC sound-card and a good digital (optical) output then the MS40s are an excellent product if you do not want to buy a better DAC, or indeed have a separate box.

Dolphin are currently selling the MS40s for less than 90 pounds, and at this price you will definitely not be disappointed, it is a serious bargain for a powered speaker system with in-built DAC. They may not be as stylish or as compact as your average designer i-Pod dock but they offer a lot more sound, when required.

They are front ported which can also be an advantage if you need to push the back close to a wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts