Movies that stand the test of time// watch it now and it stills amazes you

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:I would have to say BLADE RUNNER. I watch it time and time again and it has not aged one bit!

The Godfather. Perfection.

I also watched Papillon the other night for the first time in about 10 years (I've probably seen it 5 times before). Stunning.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think period dramas/timeless movies (eg sci-fi like Star Wars where there's v.little visible 'tech') age best, as there's no comtemporary styling to date. For example, I love Blade Runner, but the parts with computers/screens haven't aged well.

Hence The Godfather (already mentioned) can work cos of its period nature. I could (and usually do) watch that on an annual basis and still leave with a sense of awe.

I'd add Raiders of the Lost Ark and Moulin Rouge to the list from my own personal favourites. And the Big Lebowski.

A

Anonymous

"One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" with an outstanding performance from Jack Nicholson. A very funny & moving film at the same time. Featuring Jack Nicholson/Randle P Murphy as the Individual vs. the System, in the form of Nurse Ratched.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
I think period dramas/timeless movies (eg sci-fi like Star Wars where there's v.little visible 'tech') age best, as there's no comtemporary styling to date. For example, I love Blade Runner, but the parts with computers/screens haven't aged well.

Hence The Godfather (already mentioned) can work cos of its period nature. I could (and usually do) watch that on an annual basis and still leave with a sense of awe.

I'd add Raiders of the Lost Ark and Moulin Rouge to the list from my own personal favourites. And the Big Lebowski.

There were a lot of very good "proper" films made in the 70s that stand the test of time because they are properly acted, have real stories and do not get shielded by special effects. A lot of films today will be forgotten as the computer imagery will look dated in a decade. Dialogue is different. Pulp Fiction will be raved over in years to come because of that fact alone.

And Clare, I agree about the period/timeless point but you always find a turkey. The 70s gave us The Godfather and then there was Road To Perdition!!!!!!!! Now that was a stinker.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I watched No Country for Old Men on Blu-ray last night - blissful. Incredible cinematography, powerful acting and an incredible script. The Coens at their best are masterful....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I watched No Country for Old Men on Blu-ray last night - blissful. Incredible cinematography, powerful acting and an incredible script. The Coens at their best are masterful....

It will be the first Bluray disc I purchase when my BDP-S550 arrives. A masterful film. I love the Coens. This one tops the lot though, I didn't think they could top Fargo and O Brother made me cry with laughter but the latest offering had me stunned. My other half is not a fan of their films. I slotted in the dvd without telling her anything. After half an hour I looked at her and she was transfixed. I then thought it was the perfect time to tell her she was loving a film by Joel and Ethan - she didn't bat an eyelid and has waxed lyrically about it ever since.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Dark City - not widely known but a great film. I've got it on dvd, yet to watch it upscaled though. Something for this evening perchance.

Richard O'Brien was perfectly cast in that as one of the strangers...

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
..I think I will do the same (but I have to buy it first)...but before I do that I will mess around with my new genie 2 turntable in gloss red! woo hoo!

A

Anonymous

images

A

Anonymous

Broadway Danny Rose - just a great story told the right way. It might not show off your fancy TV and sound system but for pure substance, it's right up there with the best. One of my all time favourites.

A

Anonymous

The Life of Brian

The Dark Crystal

Silent Running

Enter the Dragon

Akira

Legends of the Fall

Leon/The Professional

<Insert samurai based film>

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fumanchu:
The Life of Brian

The Dark Crystal

Silent Running

Enter the Dragon

Akira

Legends of the Fall

Leon/The Professional

<Insert samurai based film>

Legends of the Fall???????????????? Are you being serious???????!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

True Romance
...funnily enough I watched it today and it's a belter

Sirguy969

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
Once Upon a Time in America and Goodfellas, gotta love DeNiro......class act.

Now I'm with you on Legends of the Fall, if you liked that epic story then check out A River Runs Through It.

Surely LOTR would be up there too?........and Donnie Darko

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sirguy969:
Once Upon a Time in America and Goodfellas, gotta love DeNiro......class act.

Now I'm with you on Legends of the Fall, if you liked that epic story then check out A River Runs Through It.

Surely LOTR would be up there too?........and Donnie Darko

Come on the original title suggests films that are as old as the viewer and still producing the magic. I love Donnie Darko but it's only about 5 years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts