Motion issues

Just returned from a trip to one of the large supermarkets, I'm looking for an answer.

While the OH did the food I sneaked off to the TV section and looked at various LCDs. On most of them the picture quality was superb. However, as I watched the football I little concerned how bad they were at tracking fast images. I looked at Sony 32", Samsung 32" and Panasonic. However, there was a slightly more expensive Sony 32" which had no probs what so ever.

Are these TV set-up differently? or is this a compromise with LCDs?

A

Anonymous

Dont know if they are set up different, but you should be aware that motion issues depend upon things in addition to the tv itself.
So it matters what the source was, you suggest that they were showing the same source, but it also matters how far you are away, so what looks like judder up close may not, at a normal viewing distance.
But having said all this, it is not LCD that matters as much as how the tv processes the source. So it would be worth knowing which 32 inch sony or Samsung you were looking at since there are different models.

I couldn't tell you the model numbers, I saw the Sky HD box, so I assume they are playing through similar, if not identical, sources. One of the Sony's (cheaper one) had silvery/grey bottom to it while the better quality Sont was all black. The Pannie was the Veira, and can't give any clues on the Samsung apart from being all black.
emotion-43.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
The supermarkets will certainly NOT have them set up correctly. Id hazard a guess they all had some sort of motion 'image processing' switched on. We have a samsung at work thats awful with its switched on

aliEnRIK:The supermarkets will certainly NOT have them set up correctly. Id hazard a guess they all had some sort of motion 'image processing' switched on. We have a samsung at work thats awful with its switched on

Absolutely, rick, even the more expensive ones suffered the same (to a lesser extent), and one Panny looked like the contrast and brightness had been played with - it was so dark, while others - the lesser names - looked wishy-washy.

You've given me some reassurance that motion may not be a big problem. Cheers.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
aliEnRIK:The supermarkets will certainly NOT have them set up correctly. Id hazard a guess they all had some sort of motion 'image processing' switched on. We have a samsung at work thats awful with its switched on

Absolutely, rick, even the more expensive ones suffered the same (to a lesser extent), and one Panny looked like the contrast and brightness had been played with - it was so dark, while others - the lesser names - looked wishy-washy.

Im not sure why, but all the latest Pan's appear to have had the contrast turned right down by default. Im going to guess its to do with energy usage as it uses a lot less in default mode than if properly calibrated

aliEnRIK:plastic penguin:

Im not sure why, but all the latest Pan's appear to have had the contrast turned right down by default. Im going to guess its to do with energy usage as it uses a lot less in default mode than if properly calibrated

Interesting stuff - I wonder why just the Pannies?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:aliEnRIK:plastic penguin:

Interesting stuff - I wonder why just the Pannies?

Most companies are into LCDs these days, and the LED backlit ones in particular are using WAY less electricty. Id assume Pan are simply trying to shorten the gap (legitimately by reducing the actual usage, then again by BSing the setup)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts