Motion blur and wobble

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having read your review of the Sony KDL P3020 and seen one in store. We decided to go ahead and buy one. We used the THX setup that comes with DVDs to get the settings right and the picture with freeview is good.

However with certain DVDs there is a lot of motion blur or wobble on the screen. In particular when we watched 'The Illusionist' (which has mostly low lit scenes) practically the whole film blurred from start to end.

I know these problems occur with LCDs on occasion but it seems to be happening far too much and only with DVDs. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is happening? Is it because:

a) the standard DVD player we are using (Sony DVP-NS29) is not good enough and we need an upscaling one e.g. PS3?

b) we need a better scart cable (just using a standard one at the moment)?

c) the TV is faulty?

We would appreciate any advice.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If the picture with Freeview is good, then i'd definitely point a finger at your source and/or its connections. You're going to notice the failings of either on an HD Ready, 32in set.

I wouldn't rush out to buy a decent Scart (@£30 - try QED or IXOS), but if you could borrow one from a friend (or an understanding local retailer?!) it would be worth checking if that's the issue.

It might be better to start saving for an upscaling DVD player and a decent HDMI cable - something like the five-star Denon DVD-1740 can be had for @£130. This offer even includes a cable, too.

A

Anonymous

HI

I have the very same TV and have noticed an odd 'face wobble' during some freeview broadcasts. In particular I was watching a film on Film 4 called JonQ, and Denzel Washington's face was all over the place! These problems seem to be rare though. Never had trouble with DVD playback though.

A

Anonymous

Opps just read the above post properly now. Sorry.

What a stupid reply from me.... :)

I think the bit-rate varies a lot with Freeview broadcasts. My plasma shows some brilliant pictures from the higher-bit channels, but on Five and some of the smaller ones I get a little of the 'rubber pic' phenomena. Usually only noticable on the facial close-ups tho. JJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts