Most suitable speakers for £2,500

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've had my B&W 1NT's for seven years and would like to splash out on an upgrade in the region of £2,500 maximum. What would folks recommend? I need a shortlist before I start investigating. I'd prefer some floorstanders but sturdy standmounts would be considered too.

Current set-up:

B&W 1NTs, as stated
Arcam A85/P90
Arcam 92/Chord 64 Dac
Roksan Radius

Oh, and I listen to loud and quiet music of all sorts. From Stockhausen to Stock, Aitken & Waterman and most points in between,

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:I've had my B&W 1NT's for seven years and would like to splash out on an upgrade in the region of £2,500 maximum. What would folks recommend? I need a shortlist before I start investigating. I'd prefer some floorstanders but sturdy standmounts would be considered too.Current set-up:B&W 1NTs, as statedArcam A85/P90Arcam 92/Chord 64 DacRoksan Radius Oh, and I listen to loud and quiet music of all sorts. From Stockhausen to Stock, Aitken & Waterman and most points in between,

ÿ

Go to a dealer for a demo with PMC and ProAc floorstanders.

ÿ

John Duncan

JoelSim:
Charlie Jefferson:I've had my B&W 1NT's for seven years and would like to splash out on an upgrade in the region of £2,500 maximum. What would folks recommend? I need a shortlist before I start investigating. I'd prefer some floorstanders but sturdy standmounts would be considered too.Current set-up:B&W 1NTs, as statedArcam A85/P90Arcam 92/Chord 64 DacRoksan Radius Oh, and I listen to loud and quiet music of all sorts. From Stockhausen to Stock, Aitken & Waterman and most points in between,

ÿ

ÿ

Agreed, but are the amps up to two and a half grand's worth of speaker Joel (serious question) - have you listened to anything like that on the end of yours?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:

ÿ

ÿ

Agreed, but are the amps up to two and a half grand's worth of speaker Joel (serious question) - have you listened to anything like that on the end of yours?

IMHO yes. I'd happily have £2.5k speakers with my stuff

ÿ

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:And by that I mean maybe an A32 and two grands' worth of speaker would be a good idea, what with being quite cheap at the moment..........

So John, I take it from that you would reconsider the allocation of said dosh? Splitting it between new amp(s) and new speakers, perhaps? Oh no, I hear my girlfriend cry, as she envisages more components than she bargained for entering our abode.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think for your next step up you are looking at components of £2-3k each, therefore get the speakers and then upgrade the other bits in the future

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I think it would be worth having a sniff around the latest offerings from Spendor. I've heard about the new A5 at £1,500 and I believe they're bringing some more out this year too. Their new speakers have got more bite and forwardness over their other stuff. Just a thought.

I think Thaiman will be along soon with some comments on Art speakers.

Oh, and what about trying the Wilson Benesch Square 2? I heard them on the end of a Nait 5i amp and CDP and something was very wrong, probably the amp. Would be worth a look given how much they're hailed in these parts.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I think Thaiman will be along soon with some comments on Art speakers. .

If the budget is double then look no further (although I never heard the £5K ART emo standard)

Looking at your electronics I would recomended JAS audio Orior Grand that can ne have (ex-demo) for around £1300!. I also would demo Sonus Faber Cremona Audditor M and Opera Callas Diva. (my Diva have been part exchange when I bought ART and at the moment with Shadow audio, bargain there)

John Duncan

Charlie Jefferson:Is the A32 the equal or the superior of the A85/P90 combo I wonder?

And John, whereabouts is the A32 available for £689?

Lintone Audio on eBay - they're a respected dealer so no worries on that score. And I would keep the P90, just replace the A85. Though tbh you may find it would beat the combo - it's certainly better than the A85 on its own.

John Duncan

Ooops. Well you did ask.......

As always, try first - you may find the speakers add everything you need and the amp can wait. And if it came down to either the Arcam and A.N. Other speaker or a pair of Sonus Fabers........

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
True enough. It's just that I'm rubbish at making clear-sighted, objective judgements when there is the whiff of a possible new purchase in the offing. Then my whole rationale will crumble and I'll say to myself, "Do I really need to upgrade?". Then a latent guilt will kick in and I'll rue the day I even thought of spending the dosh on new kit. Then I'll get really frustrated as my sensible lobes try to smite my spendthrift cortex. Then my one year old will need another bowl of gruel. . .oh the torment! Child welfare or self-indulgence?

A

Anonymous

For standmounts, check out the Monitor Audio PL-100's

For floorstanders, check out the MA GS-60's - and the Pl-300's too why not, even though they are 5 grand...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Mr_Poletski:For standmounts, check out the Monitor Audio PL-100's

For floorstanders, check out the MA GS-60's - and the Pl-300's too why not, even though they are 5 grand...

I'll second the GS60 suggestion... well worth an audition... I wouldn't spend that kind of dough on bookshelves though, so I'd pass on the PL100.... But essentially, you really need to get into some hifi stores and listen to some speakers in your price range....

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:The PL100 isn't exactly a 'bookshelf'......... Ummm... ok... so what is it? it's not a Tower/Floorstander or a sub, centre or surround... it has to be used with a stand, so it looks like a bookshelf/monitor to me....

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I own the PL100's after testing many, many speakers. To me they have the most transparent and engaging sound. I heard the sonus faber cremona auditor M and it wallowed in a sea of uncontrolled bass which coloured anything else the speaker had to offer. I have the PL100's paired with primare equipment and a friend has it with a chord integrated and meridian g08. The speakers shine in both systems. It is important to get good speaker cable for these, I have Chord Epic and a friend has signature. These speakers were voice tuned using single wire. I single wire and it produces a much more cohesive sound than when I heard them bi-wired.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:So you wouldn't fancy an A32 for £689 (call it 500 or less minus the A85) and two grand worth of uberspeaker?

Yes I would, but SWMBO would go mad!ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My turntable hunt was wishful thinking. Spending too much money on a holiday and buying our freehold to justify this. And all the vinyl I would have to buy. Shameÿ