Most smart TV owners still use an external streaming device

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
The simple answer for me was my newer smart tv (Vizio P series bought in 2021), chromecast, PS5 etc not supporting all formats/codecs. I got so tired of fighting various issues with FLAC not streaming through Plex (without transcoding), or Dolby Vision only working through some streaming apps but only working sometimes with Plex depending on Profile, not being able to do TrueHD passthrough to my AVR (x3500h) was another major WTF At first my PS5 and TV didn't get along so it down converted 4K UHD disks to 1080p (fixed with a TV firmware a bit back) I just finally gave up and got a Shield pro and literally all my major issues went away and just work now. Now if the PS5 just supported Vision so I didnt have to get another UHD player for that all would be golden. I miss the days you just plugged a TV in and everything just worked all the various codec/support issues make it a nightmare.

Last edited:

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
We use different types of Fire Sticks on different TVs. The consistency of the interface just makes life easier. Also, you can take it on the road to, say, a hotel and just continue where you left off. With a fast VPN that applies abroad too. As an Amazon Music subscriber it can be used for that if necessary.

Last edited:

Gerry01773

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
I have the impression that my smart TV collects more personal information about me than my Firestick does. (Someone please reply if that’s wrong.) Also, I run all devices, Firestick, BlueRay, CD/DVD player, STB, tape deck, turntable, through my receiver, then to a single HDMI port on the TV. This simplifies device selection.

Scaadoo

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Sound quality on my Samsung smart TV for Spotify and BBC Sounds is just not good at all - for YouTube it's OK

So I bought a Bluesound Node and online music listening is great again

Betamax_man

Oct 22, 2022
Visit site
I disconnected my smart TV from the Internet because I was sick and tired of the pop-ups that appeared from BBC iPlayer. Using a fire TV stick and turning off the TV WiFi gets rid of it. I can even control the fire TV stick with the TV remote. Plus, of cause, you can load whatever compatible Android app you like onto it. It's a no brained really.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sony XD8599 - Too slow to even operate - Nvidia shield Pro
Sony XF9005 - Too slow for 4k from apps and usb - Roku UHD
LG Oled C9 - Just about hanging on with its processor for 4k hdr currently.

Stop putting rockchip and cheaper mediatek chips in tvs. We pay £1200-£1800 for all of them so why not just whack a £100 nvidia tegra in the models that sell over £1000?

mjaggard

Oct 22, 2022
Visit site
This is exactly why TVs should not be smart. They take longer to start up than a non-smart one, they are out of date almost immediately, they ignore the principal of doing one thing and doing it well. Even if they put proper processors and software in they'd still get out of date and you need to be able to replace the processor long before you need a new screen where the technology is changing much slower.

Reactions: Scaadoo

Movielad76

Oct 23, 2022
Visit site
Even my year old Sony Bravia KD-55XH90/P feels old now with Android TV. Sony wouldn't answer whether they would upgrade it to Google TV or how long security updates are going to be supplied for. Thank goodness I have a router which has vulnerability scanning and anti-malware which will hopefully offer some protection against any potential miscreant app or behaviour coming from it.

Which is why I heavily lean on the Apple TV (currently 2021, but have ordered the 2022) for most content because Apple updates regularly and adds new features pretty frequently too.

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I disconnected my smart TV from the Internet because I was sick and tired of the pop-ups that appeared from BBC iPlayer. Using a fire TV stick and turning off the TV WiFi gets rid of it. I can even control the fire TV stick with the TV remote. Plus, of cause, you can load whatever compatible Android app you like onto it. It's a no brained really.
I am with you regarding the intrusive BBC ‘green button’ pop ups every time you change to a BBC channel or a new programme comes on. However, despite this annoyance, I have kept iPlayer on the TV as well as the Firestick for one reason only: 4K HDR. For some reason this is still not available on the FS 4K iPlayer and since BBC programmes, such as Frozen Planet II, look (and somehow sound) so much better if in this format then the TV app is the only way for me to experience it.

Soundria

May 7, 2022
Visit site
I own a TCL QLED Android TV, all available streaming is done from its apps, including music. It works flawlessly so far, even the stereo/multichannel sound using the HDMI passthrough settings. Not yet went dumb :) For own music and movies an OSMC Vero 4k player is used + KODI + a NAS server.

DREADZONE

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
We don't use a dedicated streaming device but, the streaming functions of our Freesat box. work better then the TV's.
I had not thought about this aspect before. Can you be more specific about which features work better?
[I do not stream much, but I seem to be able to access all streams from my SkyQ box; I thought the features were site specific.]

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts