Most Important Component

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With an imminent house move, have convinced the other half to upgrade our home cinema set up (currently 24" CRT and DVD player).

Not being much of an expert, though I would follow What HiFi advice, and using the best buys go for :

TV - Sony KDL-40EX503

Blu Ray - Sony BDP-S570

Amp - Onkyo TX-SR608

Speakers - Cambridge Minx 5.1

The top 3 are the best buys - the speakers aren't, but she is insistant on unobstrusive speakers....so question is, are the speakers the most imporant part of the set-up, or is it more like the sum of the whole greater than the parts (or however that goes !)

Any advice gratefully received !

scene

Welcome to the forums dommiepie
emotion-21.gif

I would actually say the most important part of the set up is you (and of course, your other half
emotion-5.gif
). Seriously, the whole area is highly subjective and what one person loves, another will despise - as you will probably have noticed if you read enough threads on the forums
emotion-8.gif

What I'm saying is, just because WHFS&V say something is a best buy, does not mean it is the best for you. You should use their recommendations as a starting point and DEMO the kit before you buy it. Remember, you're going to be spending a lot of money, and the last thing you want to do is set it all up and think "I don't like it"... This is especially true with sound and music, where your tastes may well impact what you like. Yes the Sony is an excellent BDP, but are you going to be listening to a lot of music, or just films. Similarly with the amp. And the Minx 5.1 system is not the only good miniature speaker system in town.

You need to answer some questions:

- What's your overall budget? (Don't forget to budget for cables)

- What are you going to be using the TV for - broadcast telly, films, live action (sport)?

- Do you want 3D?

- What's the mix of system usage between music and film

If the music usage is greater than a third (probably):

- What sort of music do you like listening to?

scene

JohnDuncan:Addendum - I would be slightly cautious with choice of receiver if the Minx are your thing - I find Onkyos a bit shrill generally so I'd want to hear the two together before committing...
As I should have added in my monologue
emotion-43.gif
- always try components together before you buy, because the whole is seldom the sum of the parts...

A

Anonymous

the one thing that seems to be left out here is the most important one, the room itself and how it colours the sound.

But its difficult in this situation as its an impending move to a new property.

do not as suggested always go for the best buys as it could well be that together it could sound/look dreadful, that is not cast in stone but its a possibilty.

the Onkyo 608 is indeed though a worthy contender and imho good value for money

budget will dictate what you end up purchasing but for what its worth try to have a demo of some MK speakers before biting the bullet, small and definatley unobtrusive, but boy do they pack a punch and partner with onkyo very well imho

A

Anonymous

All - thanks for the useful advice. Luckily I have a Richer Sounds not too far from me - have heard good things about their service, and they are the only ones who stock the Minx, so will try and set up a demo with my choice of music / films.

In terms of budget, I'm trying to 'lose' this amount in the overall move costs - just about managed to convince the wife that separates rather than all in one package is the way forward, so aiming for about the £2k mark

A

Anonymous

Speakers! From upgrading from Satellites to Monitor audio BX2s the level of detail in the sound is brilliant!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts