Morning DAB suggestions

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I really wanted to somehow set my hifi up to wake me up in the morning with DAB radio, but alas as I don't think amps have the functionality to turn on at certain times, I would have to leave my amp on overnight - even then I might not be able to find a seperates DAB tuner that will turn on at certain times.

So I'm thinking the only way forwards really is a DAB/Alarm clock type of thing? Any better suggestions? I just feel silly buying a DAB radio for next to my bed when I have a hifi speakers at the foot of it which could be being used!

Thanks in advance for suggestions,

EDIT: Read down where I explain my situation with regards to what I need/don't need :)

Tom.

T

the record spot

Buy a timer plug - set it to come on at whatever time and you're away. Cost about a tenner or so.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow that's a fantastic suggestion that I hadn't even thought of.

Thing is my Nad C352 doesn't go straight onto a channel when powered up, it goes first into a standby mode :mad:

T

the record spot

Ah, that's a tad more difficult...! And a bit of a faff I'd have thought? Power on and straight onto standby? Never knew the NADs did that.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Can't say about other models but the C352 does it :(

Surely a tuner would do this too? Or were you suggesting leaving the tuner on overnight?

Happy though I am with the amp, it might be a good reason to swap it for something else - buying something new is always fun.

T

the record spot

I had assumed your amp and would both be in the "On" setting, but with the timer plug, it effectively cuts the power until you need it to come on based on the time you set it to. The NAD precludes thatif it goes directly into standby mode though. Would be hesitant to change it on the basis of that alone though!

How about a nice clock radio?! I think some of the newer Pure models have a timer feature?

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Well in reality yes selling the amp would be a bad move as I enjoy it. Have been looking at the Pure clock/radios and they seem to have been getting great write ups...any comments?

EDIT: Chronos II (not with CDP) and Siesta look nice!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
id go with a pure. i have the tempus -1xt myself which does what you want tho, irritatingly, after waking you up it turns off after an hour. now maybe i should be out of bed by then, but thats non of pure's business. and id have to get the specced-to within-an inch-of-overkill evoke 3 to combat teh problem with a remote. thatd mean spending twice the money.

more irritatingly, i used to have cheap panasonic and jvc boxes which both had teh kind of alarm functions (and tape decks and CDPs included) i could only later find by spending £100 on my current radio - less over-specced but over-specced nonetheless.

I must be terribly naive.

By the by, if any WHF staff come by, i think the review for the evoke 2s says it has a remote, whereas the pure's site seems to say it doesnt when you look at it in the comparison table.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Trying to think about the best solution here - I do have other dilemmas.

I'm in a small room at university - I recently brought up my Quad 11Ls and NAD C352 to use with my laptop, but the way things are laid out it's very awkward - I can't move any furniture. I can't use the laptop in bed (unless I run a 3/4m ethernet cable across the room which I don't want to do) therefore its a bit useless putting the speakers at the bottom of my bed as I can't control the music I'm listening to. On my desk, it feels like I'm a bit too close to the speakers and the amp is pretty much on minimum which is a bit pointless

Need to think about all my problems at once.

I need an alarm clock. It needs to have a DAB radio. The thing is, I have an iPhone coming for christmas :)D), which musically I will be using the Spotify premium service to my iphone (which lets you download ~3,333 tracks for temporary playback and stream unlimited).

Options are

1. To bring the NAD/Quads back home (freeing up all my desk space!) and replacing it with either

a) active speakers and seperately a DABiPodAlarm clock for beside my bed, which means I can play music from my bed slightly more easily - thing is i'll still have sound coming through my left ear only >.<

b) all-in-one dock alarmclock dabradio with speakers that are good enough for listening to music through my pc (I could attempt to rotate the unit at night to face my bed - if the speakers on it are good i'll get a decent stereo sound from a distance. Obvious drawback is I can't control the the alarm clock or any music playback from my bed.

Tbh I like option b) although this would be a massive step down in SQ i realise. If anyone understands my gabbling please help me think straight :) Thanks.

T

the record spot

Yeah, for sure. The rest of Europe went with DAB+. We get DAB-. Not good.

Short term alternative and the one I use:-

sony-icfc273l-clock-radio.jpg

No DAB, but TWO alarm functions. Being a student, I think you'll need this more.
emotion-5.gif

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, sorry! Went a little OT there.

The only thing I can think of is if your DAB stays powered up when it's switched on/off at the wall.

If it does, leave the amp powered, and put the switch box on the DAB box instead? Not overly green I'll grant you, but maybe worth looking at..

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Well at the moment i'm not paying for my electricity :p not that that should be the primary point of concern.

But tbh my primary concern is the wellbeing of the amp and the safety of leaving it on all night every night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts