More punch needed in my setup... More power the solution?

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hello again hifi experts!

I just "finalized" my hifi setup with the following elements:

- Linn Majik DSM

- Tannoy DC8

- Audioquest Rocket 44

But I sometime found the system a tad too laid back. I'm kind of looking at getting a bit more punch into the system. My dealer recommended I might want to add more power. I just borrowed a Linn Majik 4100 from him and wow! There is suddendly more clarity and punch!

The only thing is, spending some hard earned cash on a power amp while there is already one onboard the Linn Majik DSM is a bit of a slap in the face (Considering I got the system only 2 months ago).

Anyone has an idea what I can do? If power amp is the way to go, would you have have advice for a power amp for £1500 max? The Tannoy are quite efficient and I believe I don't listen to music too loud (To be confirmed by my neighbours though).

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What about killing two birds with one stone, and getting a sub. It should sort both your AV and 2 channel problems.

I would talk to Nick at the Home Cinema Centre about a Paradigm Seismic 110, which is a remarkable little "Rottweiler" of a sub, that has EQ.

A

Anonymous

Punch tends to come from the midbass (i.e. between the bass and the midrange, 60-100hz-ish) so a sub may not be the answer if it's punch you really want. Of course, if you can tailor the xover points and levels then you may be able to do something with it.

FWIW if the power amp works, why not use it? the impedence of the speaker tends to start rising dramatically around the midbass and so it's possible the amp isn't coping very well with this (although I know nothing of your Linn) which is why the power amp is helping.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nawty said:
Punch tends to come from the midbass (i.e. between the bass and the midrange, 60-100hz-ish) so a sub may not be the answer if it's punch you really want. Of course, if you can tailor the xover points and levels then you may be able to do something with it.

FWIW if the power amp works, why not use it? the impedence of the speaker tends to start rising dramatically around the midbass and so it's possible the amp isn't coping very well with this (although I know nothing of your Linn) which is why the power amp is helping.

I think this is fair comment.

If the OP had bought the DS without the amp, it might be easier. On another thread BM realised that a Sub was the best way to add proper "slam" to movies.....so I felt that an excellent small sub (with great EQ) would sort this, while also helping to add real "gravitas" to 2 channel.

There is no complete substitute for a great power amp, but this might be a sensible compromise.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bigmoose said:
The only thing is, spending some hard earned cash on a power amp while there is already one onboard the Linn Majik DSM is a bit of a slap in the face (Considering I got the system only 2 months ago).

After spending what you have on your system and finding it wanting, I'd be pretty peeved too!

You could have a look at some ADM40s as an alternative, but it would mean getting rid of most of the rest of your system.

With an ATV or AEX connected, you'd have all the punch you'd need and be able to stream very effectively.

Alternatively, if going for standmounts, have a look at the ADM9 RSs and consider the matching sub for around £2k all in.

Unless of course you have already discounted these?

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

No worries, I'm really happy with my system as it was the best I heard within my budget 2 months ago. However, I'm currently hearing what my Tannoys are really capable with a good amp, and I'm thinking I can't really go back to the integrated amp from the DSM... I actually can't help taping my feet as I'm writing this post! :dance:

Foolishly, I thought the DSM had the same amplification as the separates - Clearly, I was wrong! I absolutely love my Tannoys DC8s, they have a "silky" sound I found in no other speakers. I also love the simplicity of the Linn streamer. As such, I can't see myself parting with any of those.

What I'm looking at this point is more "adding" instead of "replacing". I thought about the subwoofer option, but as you mentioned, it might only provide deeper bass, not more punch. I might give it a go though..

If the amplifier is the way to go, would you have any advice for £1500 max? I found a Pathos Logos for £1500 second hand, it might be an interesting comparison with the Linn...

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Cno,

Always good to hear from you! Should I understand you are getting your gear from the same dealer?

But true, it's a great shop and I had received premium advices and service from Nick.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigmoose said:
Hi Cno,

Always good to hear from you! Should I understand you are getting your gear from the same dealer?

But true, it's a great shop and I had received premium advices and service from Nick.

No I haven't dealt with Nick, but I've read enough of his posts, as well as the comments of people who've dealt with him, to know he is a safe, knowledgeable pair of hands.

I have never personally got on with Linn's amps, and would take the Pathos in a heartbeat.

I think you should try a sub.....you might just be surprised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts