mordaunt-short vs monitor audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a choice between the mordaunt-shot aviano 2 and the monitor audio BX2 OR RX1

I listen to a lot of D&B, dance, trance etc but also quite a lot of more intricate, subtle music (even classical).

For this reason I like a lot(!) of lower end punch. I'm trialing the mordaunts at the moment and they seem great, but arent really screaming "something special" at me.

Does anyone have any views opinions on this? How do the monitor audios vary from the aviano 2?

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have the Aviano 1's and like you when I first had them the lower end didn't seem 'all there'. However after running them for a few weeks they have got a lot better.

What amp are you using them with? I am led to believe that they are critical on what they are driven with which is why I use them with Cambridge Audio.

matthewpiano

Given the review of the BX2s in the latest WHFS&V, I think you should certainly audition them so that you at least make an informed choice.

I've had B2s and BR2s in the past and they were very good speakers. It sounds like the BX2s are a significant step on from those so I would think they are every bit as good as the review suggests.

MA and Mordaunt-Short are two of my favourite speaker brands (alongside Mission).

What electronics are you driving the Avianos with? I agree entirely with HopkinsC about the synergy between MS and Cambridge Audio. The two work brilliantly together.

A

Anonymous

good times! I've got a Cambridge Audio Azur 550A

how do i trial MA's then? I mean where am i going to get hold of one?

matthewpiano:If you have an Audio T near you, they are MA dealers and usually excellent. Out of interest what speaker cable are you using with your CA/MS combination?

Yup, Sevenoaks or Audio-T is a good starting point...

As the OP has a Cambridge, both the MAs and MS wouldn't be the first brands that spring to mind - both are very lively.

I would, personally, be looking at a more neutral speaker, such as Epos M5i or even EB Acoustics EB1s.

A

Anonymous

I'm using a cambridge audio ultra 100 to connect my speakers.

I'm willing to fork out the extra £100 for the RX1s, but the thing is that I've only ever heard them played through a much better amplifier than my own. Obviously this means it's not representative of what they'd sound like through mine...

Bit of a dilema...

Does anyone have any idea of what kind of bass the RX1s can kick out? I know the figures, but figures never really do the sound justice...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts