Monobox Cyrus Amps On or Off ?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering is it better or okay to leave Cyrus Monobox left on ON all the time ? For some reason they refuse to turn off at times when on/off remote toggle is used., I have checked the MC Bus connections which seem okay and the DAC & CD player turn on/off most times. When I switch the mains off, they seem to reset and work but do then go back to not turning off by remote again!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Without knowing what the remote actually turns off compared to pulling the plug, it's difficult to say. Leaving amps switched on can have a detrimental effect on the longevity longevity of some components. But many audiophiles insist their amps only sound best after a period of warming up and leave them on for that reason.

Some also believe the effects of repeatedly turning the circuits on and off, and the effects of the repeated heating/cooling, is worse for circuits than just leaving them powered up. Maybe there's no straight answer, in so far as turning them off/on all the time makes them more liable to sudden failure, but leaving them permanently on makes them more liable to being slow-cooked.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Leave them switched on. Repeated heat up / cool down is probably a lot lot worse for longevity than "slow cooking" (which, in standby mode, will be at gas mark 0.001 anyway). And if Cyrus had intended them to shut down via the MC-Bus I'm sure they would do so.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The strange thing is they do turn on/off using the MC BUS system, but then stop, sometimes just one, sometimes both! If I off the mainpower for 30secs they seem to work on/off again with the rest of the system, though usually stop, sometimes its the CD that stops. I'm just wondering if its oaky not to bother switching amps off as they have no feed from the CD, DAC, Streamer when on standby. I am alsi now thinking to adding PSX-R's to amps t- which will also stay On if the amps do!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts