Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello chums.

A dumb question I know, but do I need a mono stylus to play some of my old 45's? I've seen postings related to this, but I wasn't able to see anything definitive.

Cheers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If I had a vast collection of 45s then I would treat myself to a rebuilt Dansette ...

like this

(The guy is a legend hence the prices I suppose.)

His rebuild videos from a couple of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%27the%27+dansette+bermuda+-+the+solution!+part

(Yes, I watched all of them!)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
If I had a vast collection of 45s then I would treat myself to a rebuilt Dansette ...

like this

(The guy is a legend hence the prices I suppose.)

His rebuild videos from a couple of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%27the%27+dansette+bermuda+-+the+solution!+part

(Yes, I watched all of them!)

Or better still, the one I had as a kid, same as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-VINTAGE-RECORD-PLAYER-/191699632071?hash=item2ca2303fc7

Unfortuately, I only have a few singles, that were given back to me by an old school friend who I sold them to, 48 years ago! Some crackers in there though, including half a dozen Beatles singles. So pleased to have them back. So, do I need a special (mono) stylus? Or, can I get away with my 'regular' stylus?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Freddie, if the records were cut with a mono cutting head, then probably yes. But that doesn't mean they won't play well with a stereo cartridge, especially if you can find some way of switching your amp to mono, or rigging-up an adapter-lead that mono's the input from the turntable.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Hi Freddie, if the records were cut with a mono cutting head, then probably yes. But that doesn't mean they won't play well with a stereo cartridge, especially if you can find some way of switching your amp to mono, or rigging-up an adapter-lead that mono's the input from the turntable.

Thanks for that Major, exactly what I wanted to know
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58 said:
Hello chums.

A dumb question I know, but do I need a mono stylus to play some of my old 45's? I've seen postings related to this, but I wasn't able to see anything definitive.

Cheers.

Oddly I've been playing some (bag over head time) Cliff Richard tracks earlier. His early mono stuff sounds the dogs in SQ terms.

So, no. Standard stereo cart is more than sufficient.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Oddly I've been playing some (bag over head time) Cliff Richard tracks earlier. His early mono stuff sounds the dogs in SQ terms.

Quite often the mono mix still sounded better even if there was a stereo mix available. Some say it's because mono mixes were given the most love an attention back then, because stereo was a gimmick. But there's other reasons as well, such as the mono master used the same width (1/4 inch) and speed (15ips) of tape as the stereo master but had that one channel recorded over the complete width of the tape, whereas the stereo master divided it into three: two stereo channels and a very narrow guard-band to minimise cross-talk. On top of that, mono records themselves often sound better than stereo because the method used to encode two channels of audio in one record groove is a bit of a compromise.

MajorFubar said:
plastic penguin said:

Quite often the mono mix still sounded better even if there was a stereo mix available. Some say it's because mono mixes were given the most love an attention back then, because stereo was a gimmick. But there's other reasons as well, such as the mono master used the same width (1/4 inch) and speed (15ips) of tape as the stereo master but had that one channel recorded over the complete width of the tape, whereas the stereo master divided it into three: two stereo channels and a very narrow guard-band to minimise cross-talk. On top of that, mono records themselves often sound better than stereo because the method used to encode two channels of audio in one record groove is a bit of a compromise.

Mono certainly gives an extra dimension (or different perhaps); the sound is more personable.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Mono certainly gives an extra dimension (or different perhaps); the sound is more personable.

I agree. Also mixing a track so it sounds great in mono is a completely different discipline to mixing for stereo, and years ago when I used to contribute to a record producer's forum, it's something that I often told all aspiring amateur producers to have a go at. They'd think I was an idiot, 'it's the 21st century why would I want to mix for mono'. 'Give it a go', I'd tell them, 'it's good discipline.' Always they came back with the same result...'wow that was hard!' lol. And even now at home in my own little home 'studio' (small box room), when I'm mixing my own material I always check how well my mix sounds in mono, and if it sounds rubbish, it's probably a rubbish mix.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Some also say that mono only sounds at its best when played through one speaker. But I think that's probably a very subjective thing; I much prefer to hear it from two speakers placed in the conventional stereo equilateral-triangle layout.

MajorFubar said:
Some also say that mono only sounds at its best when played through one speaker. But I think that's probably a very subjective thing; I much prefer to hear it from two speakers placed in the conventional stereo equilateral-triangle layout.

To answer the original question, I'd say yes a mono cartridge should be considered if you intend playing these a lot. Whilst your stereo cartridge will play them you will not be doing your cartridge or yourself any favours. Most amps or even phono preamps these days do not have a mono switch.

Much will depend on your stylus profile with modern 'micoline' stylii coming off worse.. Plain elliptical ones fair better.

Rather then possibly damage LP or stylus then a cheap mom cartridge (if you can find one) should be considered. However, with this, there is always going to be a lot of 'pfaff' if you have a fixed-headshell tonearm.

TRENDING THREADS