Mono problem...

jon_jack01

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi all!

I recently bought a lovely old speaker (apparently built by a BBC sound engineer in the 60s...) and am trying to bring it back to life. The idea is to use it as a stand-alone speaker with a wireless/bluetooth amp attached that I can control from my phone. I use spotify to stream music and the trouble is it doesn't have a setting to output in mono, so when playing music through the one speaker, on certain recordings some of the image is lost.

Can anybody help me with a solution? Seems like such a simple problem but I can't seem to find a way around it. Pre-amps with mono switchs seem pretty pricey and the whole idea was to be able to use the speaker as a nice piece of furniture with not too much gear attached.

Thank you in advance!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What's the name of the amp?

It'd be easier if we could Google it to check what connections are available.

Have you tried connecting left and right speaker out to the speaker or is there an option to use a Y Link on the input of the amp?

TrevC

There doesn't appear to be a ready made lead that would achieve this, unfortunately. If you know someone that's handy with a soldering iron you could get them to make an interconnect that would connect the channel outputs together, but there would need to be a series resistor on each leg, around 4.7k or so, so that one output doesn't load the other. Either that or look for an amplifier with a mono switch.

TRENDING THREADS