Mono output being produced through stereo speakers?!?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I've just realised that my Rotel RB/RC 970bx's are producing mono sound but playing through both speakers. Or at least, I think they are. The power amp has a mono switch if bi-amping but it's definitely on stereo. The volume is full and the sound is fine, it's just that music is coming out of both speakers but it seems that it's the same channel coming out of each,. When I turn the balance either both speakers go off or both come on - rather than one or the other.... Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

A

Anonymous

Yes, sounds as if its out of phase, swap the plugs on one speaker only.

John Duncan

Sounds broke to me. I can't think of any arrangment of cabling that would produce this in a working system?

May just be the mono/stereo slider that's not connecting properly though. Might be worth cleaning/replacing.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="onemeg"]When I turn the balance either both speakers go off or both come on - rather than one or the other....

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?[/quote]

Can't remember off the top of my head, but has the preamp got two sets of preouts - ie to feed two power amps? From the description of your problem it would sound like the power amp is only connected to one channel of the preamp - ie to both the left outputs or both the right. That's the only way the balance control would have the effect you describe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts