Monitor audio RX2 or Kef Q300?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

After looking at speakers for a while i have narrowed it down to RX2's or Q300's.

Due to my location i cant demo any speakers (they just dont have decent brands here :S)

I have a Yamaha A-S500 amp and im wondering which speaker will go better with my amp?

If you have demo'd either of these speakers, what were your impressions?

Any help is much appreciated.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
JezBaker:
Hi all

After looking at speakers for a while i have narrowed it down to RX2's or Q300's.

Due to my location i cant demo any speakers (they just dont have decent brands here :S)

I have a Yamaha A-S500 amp and im wondering which speaker will go better with my amp?

Can't speak specifically for a stereo set up, however I have always been a fan of the Yamaha/KEF match (albeit a/v) and in another life I always used KEF with my Audiolab 8000A set up with a Linn LP 12 and Audiolab CD player, and had quality results

I have just finished auditioning the Q500 and Q200C for my a/v set up, and was more than impressed with the openness, detail and clarity............

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else auditioned these speakers?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I might be classed as a little biased, but I'm using a set of these at home for AV - they're still running in at the moment, and my comparison to my existing speakers will be revealed soon. But take note of fayeanddavid's post.....

JezBaker:
Hi all

Hi JezBaker

The fuller balance of Monitor Audio's RX2 speakers is a far better match with the A-S500. The RX2's build, fit, finish and presentation also adds the icing on an exceedingly good cake. For lesser scale, depth and dynamics then the RX1's are also worthy subsitute.

Although the Q300's are impressive i've found the A-S500 to sound upfront with these speakers.

Btw, Dynaudio's excellent DM 2/6 and DM 2/7 speakers are also worth serious consideration as both models also work superbly with the A-S500.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I demo'd the M/A RX2's, Dynaudio DM 2/6's and 2/7's as well as the KEF Q300's and the M/A RX1's when looking to build a 2nd system with my NAD C355BEE amp and Arcam DiVA CD72 CDP...

The leading speakers straight away were the Kefs, M/A RX2's and the Dynaudio DM2/7's...

All sounded superb with my NAD amp but I also demo'd them with the Yamaha AS500, AS1000 and the Rotel RA06SE amps with my Arcam CD72 CDP

The Kef's are great speakers but I did find them a little brash at times at the top end and for me, the midrange wasnt as well timed as the M/A RX2's or the DM2/7's

The M/A RX2's were superb as were the DM2/7's but the overall soundstage of the RX2's and their massive bass-weight but well timed and detailed midrange and treble led the pack fairly quickly.

The DM2/6's and DM2/7's were also superb speakers but there was just something about their soundstage that did gel with me... Couldnt really put my finger on it but they seemed a little off balance at times

For me the Kef's are ugly as well and that's a no-no really...
emotion-10.gif

I used the Tron: Legacy Daft Punk soundtrack as well as the Late Night Tales: Back to the Movies CD's to do the demo's (both superb CD's to have in your collection IMO)

I demo'd the DM2/7's again with my NAD C355BEE amp as well as the M/A RX2's and the Kef's and found that the RX2's overall soundstage was bob on. Very detailed, VERY punchy with superb bass from, all be it, a huge standmount speaker but their agility and top end is very VERY good indeed. Very detailed and well timed but not in your face as I soumetimes found the Dynaudios and Kefs

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979:For me the Kef's are ugly as well and that's a no-no really...

I can't work out comments like this, there's nothing on the KEFs to be ugly! I could understand "plain" or "bland looking" but there's barely a design feature to be seen, there's nothing on there to be ugly or attractive or anything, they almost define nondescript (would could be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're after), from what I've seen of them.

A

Anonymous

I feel I must point out here that Musicraft in Derby do NOT stock the New Q Series from KEF.
This may give you a more balanced view of the opinions laid out above.

Can I ask where you live if there are no local dealers?

Kind regards,
Alex.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Alex Foxon:I feel I must point out here that Musicraft in Derby do NOT stock the New Q Series from KEF.

I feel I must point out here that Frank Harvey HiFi in Coventry is the current Retailer of the Year for KEF's Reference range.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Alex Foxon:I feel I must point out here that Musicraft in Derby do NOT stock the New Q Series from KEF.

I feel I must point out here that Frank Harvey HiFi in Coventry is the current Retailer of the Year for KEF's Reference range.

Irrelevent in this case Andrew, but I am impressed you know this.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I feel I must point out here that I do actually like the sound of the new Q series and would be happy to have some in my home, despite comments about their appearance (which were intended to be more positive than they came out as), if anyone feels like handing over a free pair, which may give you a more balanced view of the opinion laid out above...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Both retailers comply with our House Rules for trade use of our Forums - they clearly list the brands they do (and don't) stock in their site biographies (which you can read by clicking on their names.)

Thanks, Alex, for also clearly flagging up your identity.
emotion-21.gif

As long as everyone's clear who's representing what, let's continue
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The MA RX2's are quite something.

The size of the soundstage -> 8" bass driver and overall fit & finish are outstanding at it's price point.

Just wish I had a pre/power to do it justice...

Good luck Jez, let us know how you get along!

A

Anonymous

[edited by mods - can we please keep this thread on topic? Clarification re retailers has been made; any further comment is unnecessary]

A

Anonymous

sivanessen:The MA RX2's are quite something.

The size of the soundstage -> 8" bass driver and overall fit & finish are outstanding at it's price point.

Just wish I had a pre/power to do it justice...

Good luck Jez, let us know how you get along!

They are superb speakers
emotion-11.gif
I've got my RX2's in Gloss Black and theyre gorgeous. The NAD really makes them sing as well; I've yet to try them on the end of my NAD pre/power though. That'll be interesting!

manicm

the_lhc:hifilover1979:For me the Kef's are ugly as well and that's a no-no really... I can't work out comments like this, there's nothing on the KEFs to be ugly! I could understand "plain" or "bland looking" but there's barely a design feature to be seen, there's nothing on there to be ugly or attractive or anything, they almost define nondescript (would could be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're after), from what I've seen of them.

Yeah, they're unlikely to elicit a 'What did those cost???!!!' from the Missus. There's no question that the iQ range looked better, but form clearly followed function in the new range. The floorstanders look rather good I think.

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979:
I demo'd the M/A RX2's, Dynaudio DM 2/6's and 2/7's as well as the KEF Q300's and the M/A RX1's when looking to build a 2nd system with my NAD C355BEE amp and Arcam DiVA CD72 CDP...

The leading speakers straight away were the Kefs, M/A RX2's and the Dynaudio DM2/7's...

All sounded superb with my NAD amp but I also demo'd them with the Yamaha AS500, AS1000 and the Rotel RA06SE amps with my Arcam CD72 CDP

The Kef's are great speakers but I did find them a little brash at times at the top end and for me, the midrange wasnt as well timed as the M/A RX2's or the DM2/7's

The M/A RX2's were superb as were the DM2/7's but the overall soundstage of the RX2's and their massive bass-weight but well timed and detailed midrange and treble led the pack fairly quickly.

The DM2/6's and DM2/7's were also superb speakers but there was just something about their soundstage that did gel with me... Couldnt really put my finger on it but they seemed a little off balance at times

emotion-10.gif

I used the Tron: Legacy Daft Punk soundtrack as well as the Late Night Tales: Back to the Movies CD's to do the demo's (both superb CD's to have in your collection IMO)

I demo'd the DM2/7's again with my NAD C355BEE amp as well as the M/A RX2's and the Kef's and found that the RX2's overall soundstage was bob on. Very detailed, VERY punchy with superb bass from, all be it, a huge standmount speaker but their agility and top end is very VERY good indeed. Very detailed and well timed but not in your face as I soumetimes found the Dynaudios and Kefs

Thanks for the excellent reply and thanks everyone else for the responses.

Its a really hard decision for me, i initially wanted the RX's and was so set on getting them nothing could get in my way. After reading reviews of the new kef's im really on the fence now :S

Personally i think i prefer the look of the RX's, the build quality seems much better and im not sure i like the look of the all in one tweeter and midrange. In the end though, It doesnt come down to build quality or looks, im more interested in the sound quality in the end and from what i have read, their are many mixed reviews of both speakers, Neither speaker has any negative points (apart from maybe the rx2 can be a bit bassy if not positioned well) but what i think it comes down to is personal taste.

I listen to a huge amount of dance music so maybe that can help other people to pursuade me which one is right for me

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm:
the_lhc:hifilover1979:For me the Kef's are ugly as well and that's a no-no really... I can't work out comments like this, there's nothing on the KEFs to be ugly! I could understand "plain" or "bland looking" but there's barely a design feature to be seen, there's nothing on there to be ugly or attractive or anything, they almost define nondescript (would could be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you're after), from what I've seen of them.

Yeah, they're unlikely to elicit a 'What did those cost???!!!' from the Missus. There's no question that the iQ range looked better, but form clearly followed function in the new range. The floorstanders look rather good I think.

Yeah I like the pedestal on the floorstanders, actually I quite liked how they looked full stop, not really seeing the "ugly" vibe at all...

A

Anonymous

JezBaker:hifilover1979:

emotion-10.gif

Thanks for the excellent reply and thanks everyone else for the responses.

Its a really hard decision for me, i initially wanted the RX's and was so set on getting them nothing could get in my way. After reading reviews of the new kef's im really on the fence now :S

Personally i think i prefer the look of the RX's, the build quality seems much better and im not sure i like the look of the all in one tweeter and midrange. In the end though, It doesnt come down to build quality or looks, im more interested in the sound quality in the end and from what i have read, their are many mixed reviews of both speakers, Neither speaker has any negative points (apart from maybe the rx2 can be a bit bassy if not positioned well) but what i think it comes down to is personal taste.

I listen to a huge amount of dance music so maybe that can help other people to pursuade me which one is right for me
if your listening room doesn't have soft furnishings (mine doesn't) then i'd be wary of the rx range, i found my rx6s very fatiguing and slightly harsh in the treble, at least in my room. but a change to my current dynaudio dm 2/7s has made a huge difference, the high frequencies are very detailed yet very smooth, no harshness at all, in fact i personally think the dynaudios are just a better overall speaker, they are fantastic imo
emotion-21.gif

hifilover1979:

emotion-10.gif

Hi hifilover1979

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
emotion-1.gif

Btw, there is a massive oversight in your review
emotion-5.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:Hi hifilover1979
Thanks for sharing your thoughts
emotion-1.gif

Btw, there is a massive oversight in your review
emotion-5.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

that wouldn't happen to be

The leading speakers straight away were the Kefs

then

but I did find them a little brash at times at the top end and for me,
the midrange wasnt as well timed as the M/A RX2's or the DM2/7's

would it
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

JezBaker:I listen to a huge amount of dance music so maybe that can help other people to pursuade me which one is right for me

Pick one depending on your room size...IMO, if you go for the RX and the bass is too much, simply move it out into the room? I used to have the old Kef iQ3's and the bass was always tight and well defined, but I can't really comment on the new lot.

Btw, here is a sample of what I listened to this weekend:

Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise 6
Faithless - Greatest Hits
Armin Van Buuren - A State of Trance 2010
Kaskade - The Grand
Gabriel & Dresden - Gabriel & Dresden

Those 8" bass drivers are lots of fun, but cultured as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts