Monitor Audio PLW15

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi, does anybody have any experience with this sub? I am looking to change my silver RXW12 for a PLW15 - two questions, is the jump up in performance worth it and does it need lots of space.

I am using Monitor audio PL200 up front and PLC150 on centre and my amp is Yamaha RXA 3010 with musical fideity XAS-100 biamped on the front. My room is about 15ft by 11.4. I currently have my sub around 11 o'clock with my centre and fronts set as large.

Any thoughts, experience would be appreciated,

Thanks

Lee

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Big difference. The PLW15 is far more effortless than the RXW12, and digs much deeper too. Build quality is pretty immense, as you may well know from owning the PL200's and PLC150. Some may say that the room is a little small for a sub like this, but I'm using a dual 12" (similar to a 15") in a room not much bigger. The advantage with smaller rooms and bigger subs is that it is easier for the sub to pressurise the room and shift air, so you can feel it in the air as well as in your chair :)

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks David thats what I thought, it is a big unit - however it has had official sign off from her indoors. So the only worry I had was bass overkill. The silver sub is immense but I think you have satisfied my fears :).

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A big sub should never really be boomy in any room anyway, as the level of the sub should be in line with everything else - what should be different is depth, dynamics and dynamic headroom, speed, and its ability to pressurise the room.

PlatinumAudio

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I've got a PLW15 in a similar size room to yours and it sounds immense! It's a brilliant sub. Yes, you may be able to get a better sub for less money but nothing will be as beatiful or well built as this. What finish are you going for? I've got the santos rosewood. I could sit and stare at it for hours! :)

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Good to hear PlatinumAudio and I know the build quality is amazing. I have the PL200's and PLC150 and nothing comes clsoe to sound or build imo. I am trying to keep my peepers out for an ex-demo to be honest so am not too fusy on colour as long as its black or ebony lol (ebony to match my main speakers).

Where do you have yours positioned in your room? Did you find it easy to place?

I think they look great in all colours and the Santos looks pretty special :)

PlatinumAudio

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Sutch71 said:
Good to hear PlatinumAudio and I know the build quality is amazing. I have the PL200's and PLC150 and nothing comes clsoe to sound or build imo. I am trying to keep my peepers out for an ex-demo to be honest so am not too fusy on colour as long as its black or ebony lol (ebony to match my main speakers).

Where do you have yours positioned in your room? Did you find it easy to place?

I think they look great in all colours and the Santos looks pretty special :)

Mine could only go in either corner of the room so I chose the front right corner in between my front right speaker and the wall. It sounded good out of the box but once I ran ARC on my amp it really showed what it was capable of. As it's sealed it should be easier to place acoustically at least if not physically (it's a big heavy beast!).

P.S. There's an ebony one on eBay if you haven't spotted it already.

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Platinum, I have spotted the one on eBay and it looks like he bought a PLW15 some months back for £940 on eBay and then has this one on for £1,750 - he says it isnt the same one. However it isnt boxed and is a 3-4 years old. I missed out on an ex-demo one for £1,499 recently and have been offered a new one with 20% discount :) its just a lot of money at the moment. I am probably looking to spend between £1k and £1.5k. Problem is, I have the bug now and everything that I am reading about them is getting me motivated :)

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thats exactly what I am looking for Voodoo - My silver sub give the sofa a little push but I am looking for a proper shaker :).

Love your set up BTW how do you find the PLC350 sat with the PL200's - does it suit well and does the size not look to overpowering. The next on my list is to upgrade my PLC150 - I have read so many good reviews around the improvements :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts