Monitor Audio GS20 / RX6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I've listened to MA RX6 and found them very good indeed.

Now my question is: How do the 5 stars RX6 compare to the 4 stars GS20?
Was the GS20 rating due to the hefty price difference?

I'm asking, because now that the new gold serie is due in a few months, it is much easier to find GS20 at a relatively cheaper price.
(450GBP for one new RX6 compared to 600GBP for one out-demo GS20)

Other question, if I go with the GS20 (that I haven't heard yet), will an old AV receiver (yamaha RX-V800RDS) have sufficient power (and a decent enough sound) to benefit from an enjoyable listening experience before I upgrade to a more capable amp? Or should I rather go with the RX?

Thanks,

K.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Kitty Pacific:
Hi everybody,

I'm asking, because now that the new gold serie is due in a few months, it is much easier to find GS20 at a relatively cheaper price.

Other question, if I go with the GS20 (that I haven't heard yet), will an old AV receiver (yamaha RX-V800RDS) have sufficient power (and a decent enough sound) to benefit from an enjoyable listening experience before I upgrade to a more capable amp? Or should I rather go with the RX?

Thanks,

K.

No idea about your amplification but the GS20s will better the RX6s.

A

Anonymous

Are you after the speakers for stereo or AV?

Reason I ask is that you'll always get a better sound for stereo through a dedicated stereo amp rather than using an AV amp

For me, having heard the M/A RX6's side by side with the GS20's with my NAD pre/power combo below; the RX6's were a better speaker overall.

A much more detailed midrange and smoother, refined treble but with superb, well timed bass-weight.

The GS20's were very punchy indeed but I found their top end a little too harsh at times which even made me either stop listeing or skip that specific track etc...

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Kitty Pacific:
Hi everybody,

Thanks,

K.

No idea about your amplification but the GS20s will better the RX6s.

Not necessary; as I stated above the GS20's lost the battle due to their slighlty harsh top end!

But it is all dependent upon amplification and source (as youve already stated) and the OP's taste in music and hearing also!

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I had Monitor Audio GR10s driven, very nicely, by my Yamaha RX-V3800 A/V amp. When I upgraded to MA GS20s my Yamaha really couldn't drive them very effectively, so I bought a Naim 3 channel power amp to add to the equation, which worked a treat.

So, in my experience, the GS20s need amplification with plenty of current/power to make them "sing".

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick replies already.

I posted in Hi-Fi because I'd be buying a pair of decent speakers for music listening first (classical, pop/rock), but still would like to have the possibility to upgrade to a full 5.1 system later. (probably even after I upgrade to a good HIFI amp - I've been suggested a Audio Analogue verdi Settenta or a musical fidelity m3i, but haven't got the budget yet)

A

Anonymous

I have the GS20s and I would never describe the top end as "slightly brittle". Perhaps its an amp thing, but that is most certainly not my experience.

I think the GS20s are super value for money. I have not heard the RX6s, so I cannot comment on those.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts