Monitor Audio BX5

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. New to this forum. I recently purchased a Marantz 6004 amp/cd combo and a pair of Monitor Audio BX5. First impressions are not good I'm afraid. The BX5's sound so rough and disorganized. Speaker cables are AQ FLX 14/4 and IC are AQ G snakes. I made an AB comparison with a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers and the sound was spot on. The room in which the equipment is set is 20 by 15 feet with 11 feet ceiling. Very reflective room. Finally the BX5's sound so bassheavy for such a small tower. Plugged the ports and became more punchy but still low frequencies dominate. Are these speakers correct for the Marantz combo? Thanks in advance!

Paul.

They should go well with the marantz, but they do need a bit of space. I have my BR5s about 1.5 (ish) foot away from the back wall. Sounds like they are not suiting your room though. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be a long to talk about room acoustics :)

You may find something useful in this thread...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/acoustic-treatment-have-you-tried-sitting-on-the-floor

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
use your tone controls - turn the bass off (-5 or what ever) and then increment it by 1 step, do the same with the treble and experiment with postioning of the speakers and allow them to run in/loosen up.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the link Paul. Very useful info. I think runnin period for the BX5's might help a little, and furniture re positioning should help a bit in my case. Still that prominent bass...

If the Marantzes and MAs were purchased brand new then the speakers, in particular, will need at least 3-4 weeks before you start noticing the difference.

I'm huge believer in room acoustics: A reflective room will make the whole set-up sound harsh (bass bloom) and the treble can sound shrill. There isn't much you can do about room acoustics without investment in carpets and curtains etc etc. You can, however, lay a couple of rugs and add a bookcase which absorb any extreme nasties.

Also, try and experiement speaker positioning: My RS6s take on noticable, if slight, tonal change if you have the speakers facing straight at you (or no toe-in).

Above all else, give your system time, especially speakers, to bed in properly.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would love to know what I should expect during speaker run in. MS recommend running in face to face but that cant be done with centre or sub. How will the sound change? Cheers.

RobinKidderminster said:
I would love to know what I should expect during speaker run in. MS recommend running in face to face but that cant be done with centre or sub. How will the sound change? Cheers.

In simple terms speakers are like cars. When you buy new you are advised to run at low speed for a 1,000 miles and then have an oil change, after that build the speed up gradually over a given period. This is to ensure the pistions, crank shaft, cams and other moving parts are fully bedded in without damage.

Think of speakers as pistons: the cones are moving parts, so you need to use the hi-fi as often as possible at low volumes. You should hear a gradual difference and should be fully run in within about 4-6 weeks, depending how often it's used. Some brands, however, take a bit longer. The key words: Be patient.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Even fresh out of the box, your speakers should sound much as you heard them when purchasing. (Assuming you did a demo in-store.)

Any 'run-in' will not alter the fundamental character of the speakers. Experiment with different locations for the speakers and if they are still "bass heavy" and "rough and disorganised" then get a refund and try another type/brand.

For goodness sake don't allow the 'run-in' period to extend beyond the dealer's returns period or you'll be stuck with them.

chebby said:
Even fresh out of the box, your speakers should sound much as you heard them when purchasing. (Assuming you did a demo in-store.)

Any 'run-in' will not alter the fundamental character of the speakers. Experiment with different locations for the speakers and if they are still "bass heavy" and "rough and disorganised" then get a refund and try another type/brand.

For goodness sake don't allow the 'run-in' period to extend beyond the dealer's returns period or you'll be stuck with them.

That's true. On the flip side some people expect them to sound like the dem pair in the shop, in the main, have had hours of run in time. But there should be a noticable difference within the 28 day return period.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I've never experienced a speaker that changed so much in the first 20 hours of use.......I'm talking about the BX2.

The BX5 will be no different. Fantastic speaker !

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

From my experience, they probably won't sound just like the in store demo set straight out of the box, but the fundamental characteristics should be fully showing themselves after a few hours.

When I heard the BX5's with a Marantz PM7004 and SACD8004 my impression was that they were quite detailed and well organized, but a bit rough and rowdy and I got the impression the bass could be overwhelming without careful placement (not a fan of using the port plugs as they seem to alter the character of the speaker, but some report succesful use of the bungs).

I definitely agree that you shouldn't let the run-in period extend beyond your return period. Even though people report, and I've experienced, some changes up to 30-50 hours of operation later, most of the significant changes should have manifested after 10 hours running, at the most.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all for the advice. Sadly my return period expired some days ago. Most of the problem with the BX5's seem to be with my room acoustics. Although it is a big room it seems to like smaller speakers with less bass. I'm thinking of using them with an AV receiver mostly for movies and buying a pair of BS speakers. There is a store nearby that sells B&W and the 685's seem like potential candidates. Saw the DALI zensor 1 online and got me thinking. Recommendations?

Pagmed said:
Thanks to all for the advice. Sadly my return period expired some days ago. Most of the problem with the BX5's seem to be with my room acoustics. Although it is a big room it seems to like smaller speakers with less bass. I'm thinking of using them with an AV receiver mostly for movies and buying a pair of BS speakers. There is a store nearby that sells B&W and the 685's seem like potential candidates. Saw the DALI zensor 1 online and got me thinking. Recommendations?

685s are cracking speakers, but not sure how they'll match with Marantz. I would suggest if you have a large room try other floorstanders: Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 may fit the bill better, although they do have chunky bass. Perhaps, budget allowing, Tannoy DC6. Whatever you choose makes sure you have a home dem first, or shop dem as a minimum.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I've heard the 685s with most of the previous Marantz series (6003, 7003, 8003) and they were a good match. There may be better matches out there, particularly because the 685s can also be quire bassy and like a bit of room to sound their best. They don't go that deep, but they do have plenty of bass. I had some issues in a 4x5 meter room (with lowish a lowish ceiling).

Best bet might be to get a home audition if that's an option. For the timebeing, seeing as returning the BX5s isn't and option, why not hold onto them for a bit longer. Try plugging just the rear port, different positioning, etc. and see how they sound after 50 hours or so (but I wouldn't expect them to get too much smoother, or any less bassier)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I recently auditioned the BX5s as part of an exercise to buy a completely new setup. I also went for the Marantx 6004 amp and CD player. I found the the sound that the BX5s (which were run in) produced slightly confusing. It was very good as an overall sound but rather imprecise. They were much better on "pop" music than "classical". As a comparison I tried the Kef Q500s and the BX6s. The Kefs were very much better with classical music, placing instruments and voices much more precisely. However the Kefs were very analytical with "pop" and I found myself listening to individual elements of the sound rather than the music. The RX6s were very much better than the RX5s, not surprisingly, and whilst I know you have spent your money now I would try to find some way to upgrade. I think they are very, very good speakers and if my orientation was largely "pop" they are the speakers I would have bought. In fact I went for the Kefs as IMO they are highly suitable for my type of music. Interestingly I was going for the RX6s, because they were as good as the Kefs on the "classical stuff" and more rounded on the "pop", until I dug out the last CD I had taken to the audition, a Piano Concerto, and here the Kefs were so much better (they sounded like a piano whereas the RX6s sounded like a recording of a piano) that my choice was easy.

I am currently running-in the Kefs.
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a BX5 owner and love them, good amp and good source = great sound. They took some running in but not a huge amount. Mine are about a foot maybe more from a back wall. If I recall they did come with foam bungs to fill the ports if you needed but persevere as they're excellent speakers and worth it.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your advice! Definitely waiting for the mobile to cash in! Speaker wise noticed an improvement today. Hope all turns fine. Greetings from the Caribbean!

justlikeheaven

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there

I've been running the previous incarnation of this system (Marantz PM6003 CD/AMP and MA BR5) for the past couple of years and must admit I've never had any problems. My living room is a compact 4x4 metres and the speakers are placed about half a foot from the back wall with a bit of toe-in. The sound is always detailed and, most importantly, enjoyable! The MAs are a little bit more 'relaxed' sounding compared to the B&W speakers which I found a little bit tiresome to listen to for long periods in all honesty.

A

Anonymous

Pagmed said:
Hello. New to this forum. I recently purchased a Yamaha AS 500 amp/Marantz cd 6004 and a pair of JBL Studio 190 floorstanding speakers. I feel some mis match with the speakers so want advice on excellent floor standing speakers to match my yamaha As 500 amp. I googled it tried all sorts of things to get the advice but was not fortunate so far. Hope posting this will bring some result. I want the best sounding speakers. I really enjoy punch with music. so pl advice speakers which has capacity to blow me with the bass & pure and detailed quality sound. thx

A

Anonymous

Pagmed said:
Hello. New to this forum. I recently purchased a Yamaha AS 500 amp/Marantz cd 6004 and a pair of JBL Studio 190 floorstanding speakers. I feel some mis match with the speakers so want advice on excellent floor standing speakers to match my yamaha As 500 amp. I googled it tried all sorts of things to get the advice but was not fortunate so far. Hope posting this will bring some result. I want the best sounding speakers. I really enjoy punch with music. so pl advice speakers which has capacity to blow me with the bass & pure and detailed quality sound. thx

A

Anonymous

I can recommend the Dali zensoer 1 speakers,iv had a lot of speakers costing more then the Dali 1 and there the best set of speakers iv had! And iv had the monitor audio rs6 gs10 ect... :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Livingstone said:
Pagmed said:

Probably best to start a new topic rather than ask the question in an almost completely unrelated thread.

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Pleased to report that the BX5's are sounding incredibly good. The fault lies in the acoustics of the room used previously. Moved the speakers to a smaller room paired with a Yamaha HTR running through the USB port which utilizes the Burr Brown DAC and it sounds AMAZING!!!! The Marantz combo will be put to use with a pair of BS, not sure if KEF Q 300 or Dali Zensor 1's. I insist on using the Marantz on the large, cathedral ceiling space but in the short wall, in which yesterday I tried with the BX's while listening to Holst's Jupiter and with my eyes closed transported me to a concert hall. Incredible. Thanks a lot for the advice. Lesson learned about acoustics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts