Monitor Audio Bronze BX2, Sound too bright

schuyuan

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
just got a set of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 pairing with Marantz PM6005 a couple days ago, the overall impression is that:

It is bright, very bright

It has a booming bass, but seems no mid gound, i.e. drum is booming, volin is bright, but viola is thin.

Similar situation regardless it is Apple lossless through Dacmagic XS or the built in Optical input.

It is rather disappointing, because I listen to spoken words and classical quite a lot, and they all sound rather bright and thin, apart from occasional drum bits. e.g. the begining of Mahler’s Ressurrection, the cellos are just weak, but when the drums kicked in it booming and not articulated. I am new to Hifi, the only comparison I have is a pair of B&W P7 headphone, and I used to have a set of Tannoy Perstige many years ago. I bought this combo without auditioning, just by simple recommendation of this very magazine, I thought my requirement is rather low, just a smooth vocal will do. however it turned out to this this bright.

It took me a while to set this system up—by unknowingly wiring the cable to the B speakers output—has I done anything else wrong? for instance, shall I go bi-wire? Does wiring to top part of the speaker connectors make a difference? (I presume not, there is a metal plate to connect the top and the bottom, could be wrong though). I read one comment that the speakers are very bright when they are new, it will mellow out after a copule of weeks, I am rather skeptical of this "burn-in" theory, could this be ture?

Thanks,

sy

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you can, return the speakers for a refund / exchange.

That is exactly how they sound to me and many other users, how they get the reviews and recomendations that they do is a mystery to me and many other enthusiasts.

schuyuan

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
ps. I put the foam plugs in, but still not much help with the booming issues. The current made-do is to tune the bass and treble on the amp, losing quite a bit of details.

I know it is rather unfair to compare a set of budget speakers with Tannoy Prestige, which my parents had when I was growing up. I don’t find the P7 so dramatically different with TP, but this Bronze DX2 just sound a bit faulty.

Best,

sy

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the BX2's and the Marantz amp are a good match. Sounds like the speakers aren't fully run in.
Brand new speakers don't normally sound great straight out the box.
The top end should smooth out with use and bass and midrange will improve.
Problem is the running in needs to be done within the exchange period however long that is. Hope it works out for you.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site

How are speakers positioned? How far from back and side walls and do they have min 50cm space around them (furniture, shelfs,...)?

I had BX2 for years and listen to them on several amps and AVRs (not pm6004/5, but yes on Marantz AVRs) and they never ever sounded bright. I am totally puzzled with comments that I saw on few places on net that people find them bright. Strange.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would try return them and go for either Q Acoustics 2020i or if you can stretch the budget some Q Acoustics Comcept 20's.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd Suggest taking in the BX2's and hearing them with other amps.
If the 'problem' is still there after a week.

The Q's are dull life less speakers imo. It'll be worth comparing your BX2's with other price comparible boxes.

But your amp is 'budget' don't get too ambitious with speaker pairing.
Keep them playing see if things settle down.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The Q's are dull life less speakers imo.

I agree Q Acoustics are a bit dull and lifeless sounding but our 'dull and lifeless' is other peoples 'warm and enjoyable'. If the OP finds the BX2's bright there are plenty of others to try like Tannoy Mercury's.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I'd Suggest taking in the BX2's and hearing them with other amps. If the 'problem' is still there after a week.

The Q's are dull life less speakers imo. It'll be worth comparing your BX2's with other price comparible boxes.

But your amp is 'budget' don't get too ambitious with speaker pairing. Keep them playing see if things settle down.

This is the perfect example of what modern budget hi-fi is all about.

By any reasonable standards the cheap MA speakers are classic 'boom and tish' speakers with the big 'smiley' shaped response. They sound big and bold and are well liked but frankly they are pretty naff, some people get it and a surprising large number of people don't.........*unknw*

nirvy111

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I can vouch for the Q acoustic concept 20's, I thought they were a pretty big upgrade over my MA BX2's. They are a bit anemic in the bass because of their small size, the BX2's have a fair bit more bass but the 20's are more accurate. I wouldn't call them dull or lifeless at all, they're an enjoyable speaker in my opinion with a big soundstage, detailed and very good imaging. I now have Kef ls50's which is another step up again but I still find the 20's very likeable for a budget speaker.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Schuyuan, how do you have your kit set up?.

Try this - replace the grills on your speakers if you have removed them.

If you are using a 'direct' setting on your amp remove it.

Now set your tone controls to their lowest position and the volume dial to about 8 o'clock (imagine a clock face).

Now increase the treble by a single increment at a time until it becomes defined to your taste.

Go to your ideal listening position to check - the focus is just on the top end. Adjust the treble till it's acceptable.

Now do the samething for the bass. Don't go beyond the point were it drowns out the top end or midrange or becomes single tone. Just enough so you can still define between a bass note and the footdrum.

Once you have a sound you can live with turn up the volume till you reach what to you is the optimum volume.

Don't worry about the position of the dial be it at 9 o'clock or 4 o'clock ,work to what suits your ears.

If you have a loudness button use that to increase bass as opposed to adjusting your tone controls.

Use your 'optimum' setting as your pint of reference.

Oh and use your best sounding piece of music.

Hopefully this should solve your problems your amp has tone controls. Don't be afraid to use them.

You can then adjust speaker position to achieve the best sound stage to your 'listening' position. There are test disc available for this - do make sure your speakers are in phase ie speaker cable is wired + to + and - to - between amp and speakers or red to red and black to black.

If you have done all this already.... er.... As you were.

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I had a pair of BX2's while I was in between speakers after moving house & found them delightful - They do not appreciate being in a corner & or too close to a wall & I used them on a pair of half decent stands - MA actually recommend running the speakers in which is in the destructions - To say all metal dome tweeters are over bright IMO is an over generalisation also - Positioned correctly & used for a couple of weeks they are great speakers with an honest approach to music, there are a few tracks that they rendered the best I have heard on any speaker. A friend liked them so much he bought them off me for his second system.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Can the OP give further details on how you have set them up - ie what are they placed on and how far away from the side and back walls?

I have a pair of BX2's in my home cinema set up, placed on decent filled stands and out in a little space. I've never found them bright or boomy - albiet I only listen to music with them when streaming internet radio.

schuyuan

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
wow, lots of helpful advice! many thanks guys, definitely made me felt welcomed.

Seems the opinions are divided. One way I think to get it nailed is to audition a display model for comparison. if it sounds as it does, I just have to live with it till save up enough for a substantial upgrade.

Again, many thanks everyone!

schuyuan

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
they are about 2.5 metres apart, about equal distance to the sofa. slightly pointing toward me. They are fairly close to the wall, but minimum 20cm clearance. Reasonable size living room, about 20sqm, good ceiling height.

I connected them to the amp A speakers output, double checked the connetor plates are in place between the H and L.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
schuyuan said:
they are about 2.5 metres apart, about equal distance to the sofa. slightly pointing toward me. They are fairly close to the wall, but minimum 20cm clearance. Reasonable size living room, about 20sqm, good ceiling height.

I connected them to the amp A speakers output, double checked the connetor plates are in place between the H and L.

I assume they are on stands so I would try, just to hear the effect, bringing the speakers 60-90 cm out into the room. I understand that this might not be practical but it will help you get a grip on how important positioning is.

Also, while trying things out, if you listening position (sofa?) is back against the wall, move that forward away from the wall too.

Otherwise, try and get a refund/exchange before it is too late.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
schuyuan said:

I assume they are on stands so I would try, just to hear the effect, bringing the speakers 60-90 cm out into the room. I understand that this might not be practical but it will help you get a grip on how important positioning is.

Also, while trying things out, if you listening position (sofa?) is back against the wall, move that forward away from the wall too.

Otherwise, try and get a refund/exchange before it is too late.

Good advice from dave - my BX2's are on stands along a 4m wide wall, with at least 40cm clearance behind them and 30cm clearance to the side walls in a room 4m x 5m, and with my sofa well over 1m in from the back wall. So if everything is connected properly, and you have experimented with positioning and you still don't like them, try to change them for something else. This is why a home demo is always the best option if available.

schuyuan

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello all, many thanks for the suggestions again, i have been moving them about, tweaking the knobs and buttons to get them sounding like my B&W P7, which I like a lot.

The current settings are: on stands, 50cm from back wall, LOUDNESS on, Bass on 3.5 o’clock, Treble on nutural, foam pads in to tame the booming bass. I know, yobbish isn’t it?!!! If I use the direct setting, get no bass whatsoever on Malher’s Resurrection. Same for Jacky Terrasson’s Reach. Although those settings help, but the sound is not as rich.

Been using them about 24 hours now, not sure the ‘burn-in’ thing, there might have been some changes, but not obvious.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The first thing to notice is that you are using the loudness control and bass boost. If you are using the system at anything above very low levels you probably have the wrong system.

All the energy/power in music is at low frequencies, turning the bass control up, or switching on the loudness control has exactly the same effect on the amplifier as turning up the volume control.

For instance, if the loudness control gives a boost in the bass of, say, 6db then that, plus an additional 3.5db on the bass control is very nearly the equivilent of turning up your amplifier by 10db, ie you are asking it to deliver 10 times the power than with all the settings flat.

Bearing this in mind, it is very possible that you are overdriving the amplifier.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
schuyuan said:
Hello all, many thanks for the suggestions again, i have been moving them about, tweaking the knobs and buttons to get them sounding like my B&W P7, which I like a lot.

The current settings are: on stands, 50cm from back wall, LOUDNESS on, Bass on 3.5 o’clock, Treble on nutural, foam pads in to tame the booming bass. I know, yobbish isn’t it?!!! If I use the direct setting, get no bass whatsoever on Malher’s Resurrection. Same for Jacky Terrasson’s Reach. Although those settings help, but the sound is not as rich.

Been using them about 24 hours now, not sure the ‘burn-in’ thing, there might have been some changes, but not obvious.

Does not make sense, having loudness on and then bunging the ports up with foam pads to stop boominess. Its clear that the speakers are not right for you. Take them back, I suggest you try the Dali Zensor 3. Comparing budget speakers with headphones that cost more is not realistic IMO.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
schuyuan said:

Does not make sense, having loudness on and then bunging the ports up with foam pads to stop boominess.

My thoughts exactly. What on earth are you doing??? Why would you turn the bass up and loudness which all increase bass and then put in the port plugs to stop the booming? It's like saying it's too hot in my house so I put on two more sweaters and a coat and then turned on the airconditioning, but it doesn't seem to be working. Loudness is really only for listening at very low volumes because of the way the human ear/brain eprceives bass at low volumes. It gives the lower frequencies a boost to make it sound more balanced at very low volumes.

By the way, you are never going to get sound approaching what headphones give with budget kit. Arguably even with significantly more expensive kit, but there are other aspects that speakers deliver (soundstage, etc.) that headphones cannot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts