Mixing different Brand pre and power amps...

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Not quite at the stage of upgrading yet, but thinking of future options to upgrade the amp.

Ideally I would use the pre-outs of the 8XPd to feed a power amplifier; maybe even having the 8XPd modified to a PreXPd in due course. Notwithstanding the obvious compatibility with Cyrus Power amps, what would I need to be aware of in terms of electrical compatibilty should I decide to go for a power amp from another manufacturer?

Thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
as long as you are only going to use it as a pre amp no issues at all except if they work together sonically

i run a musical fidelity pre amp with arcam power amps - works great to me

you have to be careful to gain match if you are planning to use the the 8xpd to feed the tweeter and buying another power amp to drive the woofers for example - get more complicated and i would say stay to the same make although can be done as for example the old kandy power amp had gain controls on the reverse to allow matching

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
My Dynaudios are not biwireable therefore in connecting a new power amp the 8 XPd would be acting as a pre-amp only.

Heard a Bryston power amp very recently and loved it. I guess I am wondering if one of their cheaper models would sit ok on the end of the 8 XPd, even if it was until I could afford to upgrade the Cyrus...

Don't think I will ever get rid of the Dynaudios by the way. Love them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've been led to believe that matching the input and output sensitivities of pre powers bears sonic gains. So it is worth auditioning a few power amps on the end of your chosen pre to see how they marry up.

A

Anonymous

Hi David (and others),

I have posted a similar question recently and saw you replied to my post as well. Just wondering what your opinion is on the mix 'n matching with the Cyrus Pre Xpd Qx, apart from the input and output sensitivities issue. How does that work btw?

Take care,

Donny

TRENDING THREADS