Mixing brands on front & rear speakers...

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
OK guys at present I have a 3.0 system consisting of Kef iQ50s and iQ60 centre speaker.

When I moved over to Dubai I had to leave my in-ceiling rear speakers at home. As a result I have been without rear-effects speakers since the turn of the year when I left the UK.

However it now looks like I will be out here for a while so I am looking to add some rear speakers.

My difficulty is that many brands are not available over here (Kef iQ30s for example, my first choice for surround effects), in-ceiling speakers are a no-no as I am renting and live in an apartment...so I have a dilemma.

EITHER I ditch my current speakers and buy a whole new 5.1 set (MA Silver RX6 AV12) OR I mix 'n' match my existing set-up the Monitor Audio rear-speakers that come with the Silver RX6.

Needless to say the mix 'n' match option is far cheaper and would utilise my existing set-up, however would this compromise the sound quality? If I bought a brand new 5.1 speaker system this would get round the tonal compatibility issue but then I would have a perfectly decent set of Kef speakers gathering dust in the closet and this seems like a waste.

What say you??

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If it was me, I would keep the Kefs (I used to have IQ9 + IQ6c), and get the MA Bronze BXFX. I believe it will be fine.

If you don't like it (which is unlikely to be honest), these rears will be suitable in the RX Silver set up.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
SouthaK, did you look in HiFi City in Dubai Mall, opposite Denon/Marantz store? I remember seeing a pair of Blades there once (exhibited in a glass cabinet) so they might stock other KEF stuff.

Also Sharaf DG+ in Times Square? Dubizzle is also worth a try...

Otherwise as per Cno's advice.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I suppose it depends on how sensitive your ears are and how much the speakers differ. I tried mixing years ago and no matter what I tweaked I never got them sounding 'right'

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I use Kef for front and centre, and Polk Audio for rears. I think it is important that the sensitivity of the front and rears are about the same so that an increase in volume is evenly distributed all round.

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all.

Mr. Iceman said:
SouthaK, did you look in HiFi City in Dubai Mall, opposite Denon/Marantz store? I remember seeing a pair of Blades there once (exhibited in a glass cabinet) so they might stock other KEF stuff.

Also Sharaf DG+ in Times Square? Dubizzle is also worth a try...

Otherwise as per Cno's advice.

The Iceman cometh! I have been in Hifi City, I think the Kef iQ30s have been discontinued and anyway I didn't see any Kef gear. Regardless I will head back at the weekend and see. Sharaf DG are garbage, I work near Times Square and they are clueless morons. Generally. Dubizzle I looked at also, no luck! All good ideas though.

Upon reflection I think I will go for the mix 'n' match approach and see how I can match them.

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
SouthaK said:
Upon reflection I think I will go for the mix 'n' match approach and see how I can match them.

PS if the WHFS&V guyts fancy doing a reader rescue in Dubai I'd be happy to put you up for a few days. We have a pool :grin:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As a general rule having identical speakers all way round is always, always preferable. And I defy anyone to not hear a difference between a fully matched set and one containing mixed brands and models - no matter how good your set-up or calibration system may be. Personally I'd never advice anyone not to use identical speakers because that is the essence of a multi-channel set-up: to keep the tone of the audio the same throughout the entire soundstage. That is what help create the illusion of a life-like listeningexperience. Anything else will sooner or later prove to be a distraction. Though for many using completely identical speakers all way round is not practical, and understandably so, but if you can use identical speakers you will likely find that it's hard to go back.

Regardless, let's hope you'll find what suits you best. After all, its your ears that will do the judging.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts