Mission M34i - Harsh With Rock.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Firstly cards on the table. I live in the sticks so auditioning kit is nigh impossible.

I've wound up with the M34i powered by a Rotel RA-1062, with a Squeezebox (FLAC) for source. I find that at background levels the sound is well balanced but as the volume increases, the mids seem to gain at a greater rate than the bass. By 9 o'clock on the Rotel, hard rock is almost unlistenable. I will cite Zep's "Whole Lotta Love" as an example. Everything kicks off nicely with the guitar riff & then the bass, followed by the vocals. Then the drums kick in & the first cymbal crash is (to me) over-emphasised. Then the power chords accompanying the chorus really grate like nails down a blackboard.

Another example is Floyd's "On The Run" from DSOTM. The hi-hat pattern that runs through that seems again over-emphasied to the point where it's dominating the whole track. Both of these examples are from FLACs ripped from the original red book CDs. I've conducted an A/B comparison between the CD & the FLAC & there's little if any difference. That seems to me to rule out a source problem.

I've also done a comparison between the M34i & M71i & the same kind of imbalance exists. So there's no fault on the drivers or crossovers.

I've had the M34i connected to a couple of Yamaha AV amps previously which exhibited similar but less defined symptoms. I put this down to short-comings in the AV amps which is why I bought the Rotel.

Finally I replaced the speaker cable, which was an eldery c.1.5mm with 4mm Van Damme HiFi Series. This made a surprising (to me) difference to the sound by evening out the bass between FLAC & MP3. The MP3 had a tendancy to boom but the apparent imbalance remains.

Last thing I did was download some AF test files which showed a couple of things. There seems to be a bass peak at around 69Hz & my elderly, battered ears can't hear anything over 12.5kHz. I couldn't discern any audile peaks in the mids but don't have an SPL meter. Obviously the wave pattern of a crashing cymbal is a whole lot more complex than than the perfectr sine wave of the test files.

Soooo - is it a characteristic of the Mission "sound" at volume (that is replicated with the M71i) that I'm not liking or something else?

Do I need a more laid back speaker? - a warmer amp? - both?

Environmental stuff:

My room is approx 4m x 6m with the speakers on the shorter wall.

They're approx 2m apart & 18cm from the rear wall, ports unbunged.

The room is carpeted (over concrete) with a couple of fabric sofas & large, glass patio doors.

The speakers ARE wired in phase.

A

Anonymous

Hi mate my brother has a pair of the M71's they have excellent punchy bass but as you said for rock they do sound very harsh on the ears, the mid range does dominate proceedings.

My opinion is that you might want to consider floorstanders because you will benefit from a much deeper sound all round which will give the midrange and bass room to breathe, the sound (at least in my opinion) is much better seperated and smoother. My recent purchase of Acoustic Energy Neo 3 floorstanders has really hit the nail on the head in this respect, with a very open rich midrange, a deep punchy bass but not overly smooth so rock really rocks
emotion-2.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
hi fi newbie:My opinion is that you might want to consider floorstanders.... The M34i IS a floorstander!
Not the first time I've heard the AE recommended recently so something to consider. Thanks for the input.

A

Anonymous

Ah yes didn't notice that, well if it follows the same traits as the M71 then what I said still stands

Except the part about considering floorstanders, I should change that to "different floorstanders" lol

A

Anonymous

I have the benefit of previously owning a pair of M35 missions (1 extra bass driver than the M34i's). I found they were good speakers, but found a better home in Home cinema as opposed to 2 channel stereo. I have also owned the Acoustic Energy Neo 3's. As many have said before, these will work a treat with rock/metal, and would be far more organised than the "lazy" missions.

T

the record spot

If you like the Mission sound, see if you can find the better 733i or 752 models from the mid-90s. Get some in good nick and you won't be complaining. I've owned both; the former for about 12 years and couldn't fault them, the latter are very refined, look the part and possess a massive soundstage. Yes, you're going back about 15 years, but so what; good kit is good kit. The current Mission gear is hit or miss IMO, the firm were never the same after the ownership changed.

See also current brand Q Acoustics 103i or 1050i - the latter is stonking good VFM at £330 and no slouch sonically either. The company set-up by at least one former Mission guy from their heyday period, so they've got tried and tested expertise at the helm.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
There's the rub, I'm not sure I do like the Mission sound.

My only other experience of HI-Fi speakers is the JPW P1, which was a universal budget best buy in the Old Testament. The foam suspension disintegrated on these a few years back & as an emergency stop gap (& having no funds) I picked up the M71i from RS to tide me over. The same day I bought them my CD player expired & my amp started playing up. This lead me to a Denon UD-M30 micro paired with the M71i. I bought the M34i on the basis of liking the M71i but thinking back, they were used mainly for low level listening with more laid back material.

Did the cone suspension material change significantly between the mid-eighties & mid-nineties or is it still a potential problem with older speakers?

Keep the suggestions coming folks, it's all greatly appreciated.
emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

Ah, Mission sound of the 1990s, not the one you;ve experienced. There is a difference...

(Mission 752 - Hi Fi World rate this as one of their all time classic speakers and it's in esteemed company. The later Mission gear doesn't seem to find its way on to the list.)

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
A development.

Both Rotel & WHF (in their review of the M34is baby brother M33i) recommend bi-wiring. This is something I've always dismissed but on the basis of having nothing to lose, have just done it. I've left the 4mm Van Damme on the LF & wired the HF with the old cable it replaced. ****** me - it HAS made a difference! It's still not quite right but it is better.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
During my visit to a hifi shop, I think Mission M33i (I guess maybe all M3i series) sound better than their discontinued M3 series.

Just for sharing, I quit listening to rock & metal music when I used mission M34 in the past (not M34i). But then I started to rock again with Wharfedale Diamond 9 replacing that Mission.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
No-one got an opinion on the older AEs?

OK, here's another Q. It seems as though there are still some Neo 3s left & I've also found a pair of lightly used KEF iQ5SEs. Any thoughts as to how the KEFs would fare against the Neo 3s with my RA-1062 & rock?

Still considering Mission 752s but there doesn't seem to be many available in lighter wood. May just try to pick up a cheap black pair & see if I actually like them first!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile:

OK, here's another Q. It seems as though there are still some Neo 3s left & I've also found a pair of lightly used KEF iQ5SEs. Any thoughts as to how the KEFs would fare against the Neo 3s with my RA-1062 & rock?

Still considering Mission 752s but there doesn't seem to be many available in lighter wood. May just try to pick up a cheap black pair & see if I actually like them first!

I used to own Mission V63 Towers driven by a Rotel RC1070 Pre, Rotel RB1080 Power & MAC Mini/Marantz CD5001....I had no problem with the way the Missions attacked rock music (but I know some people did)... my guess is that you just don't like the Mission sound... So i'd strongly suggest auditioning some more neutral/laid back brands.... I wouldn't expect getting Mission 752s to solve your problem...

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile:

ÿ

Both Evo and Neo 3's would be great with rock, depending on the presentation you prefer - the Evo's being warmer and fuller sounding, the Neo's being cleaner and more hard-hitting.

Obviously hard for me to give an opinion on how they stack up against other brands as I'd be seen to be biased...

ÿ

Hope this helps!ÿ

ÿ

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Ajani:I used to own Mission V63 Towers driven by a Rotel RC1070 Pre, Rotel RB1080 Power & MAC Mini/Marantz CD5001....I had no problem with the way the Missions attacked rock music (but I know some people did)... my guess is that you just don't like the Mission sound... So i'd strongly suggest auditioning some more neutral/laid back brands.... I wouldn't expect getting Mission 752s to solve your problem...
Thanks for the input but presumably the V63 would sound different to the M34i given the price differential? I guessing the same would apply to the 752.

As I said at the outset, auditioning is nigh impossible with one dealer in easy reach who majors on multi-channel & carries very limited stock.

AEJim:Both Evo and Neo 3's would be great with rock,
depending on the presentation you prefer - the Evo's being warmer and
fuller sounding, the Neo's being cleaner and more hard-hitting. Thanks Jim. My main concern with the Neo is the required spacing from the rear wall as 12"+ isn't practical in our small lounge. Does the Evo require similar breathing space?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile:
Ajani:I used to own Mission V63 Towers driven by a Rotel RC1070 Pre, Rotel RB1080 Power & MAC Mini/Marantz CD5001....I had no problem with the way the Missions attacked rock music (but I know some people did)... my guess is that you just don't like the Mission sound... So i'd strongly suggest auditioning some more neutral/laid back brands.... I wouldn't expect getting Mission 752s to solve your problem...ÿ
Thanks for the input but presumably the V63 would sound different to the M34i given the price differential? I guessing the same would apply to the 752.

As I said at the outset, auditioning is nigh impossible with one dealer in easy reach who majors on multi-channel & carries very limited stock.

ÿ

AEJim:Both Evo and Neo 3's would be great with rock,depending on the presentation you prefer - the Evo's being warmer andfuller sounding, the Neo's being cleaner and more hard-hitting. Thanks Jim. My main concern with the Neo is the required spacing from the rear wall as 12"+ isn't practical in our small lounge. Does the Evo require similar breathing space?

ÿ

Evo's probably need a little more space than the Neo's if anything, I'd say 12" was ok for the Neo's in a fairly solid room though. If they proved too much at that distance then you could just bung the rear ports to balance them out a little (can bung them with anything, even a rolled-up sock if you like!)

ÿ

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile:
Ajani:I used to own Mission V63 Towers driven by a Rotel RC1070 Pre, Rotel RB1080 Power & MAC Mini/Marantz CD5001....I had no problem with the way the Missions attacked rock music (but I know some people did)... my guess is that you just don't like the Mission sound... So i'd strongly suggest auditioning some more neutral/laid back brands.... I wouldn't expect getting Mission 752s to solve your problem...

I auditioned the M34 (not sure if it was the 'i' version) back when I bought the V63s... I would not really describe them as sounding different, but more an improved version of the same basic sound... That's been my experience with most speaker brands... as I jump up to the more expensive models, the overall sound is the same/very similar but with improvements/a more refined sound... This is because most brands seem to have a 'house sound' that is fairly consistent along their product lines... so while you can get more refined versions of the house sound as you spend more money, if you just don't like the particular house sound, then going to more expensive models won't solve your problems...

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I have two sets of floorstanders different models but both AE and they do have a very similar 'house sound' AE109 and AE evo3 both are good for rock with a bass thats can slam and a good treble that never gets overly thrashy only with the very roughest recordings, but revealing enough to make hi hats pin sharp,Both have there weakness too like a mid bass boom if they are postioned in a corner.I do like that weighty sound though.

T

the record spot

Ajani:Crocodile:

I auditioned the M34 (not sure if it was the 'i' version) back when I bought the V63s... I would not really describe them as sounding different, but more an improved version of the same basic sound... That's been my experience with most speaker brands... as I jump up to the more expensive models, the overall sound is the same/very similar but with improvements/a more refined sound... This is because most brands seem to have a 'house sound' that is fairly consistent along their product lines... so while you can get more refined versions of the house sound as you spend more money, if you just don't like the particular house sound, then going to more expensive models won't solve your problems...

You'd find that the 752 doesn't fit the "house sound" - certainly nothing like the latter day MIssion output. Miles off in fact. Might as well compare apples with oranges; they're fruit, but that's about it in the comparison stakes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts