MISSION 751 SPEAKERS / PIONEER A400 / REGA BRIO 3 / YAMAHA AS500 / CD PLAYER

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking for an Amplifier/CD Player to partner with my Mission 751 speakers; Pioneer A 400, Rega Brio 3 or Yamaha AS-500 ?

Ideally a new amplifier that has comparable sonic qualities to Pioneer as I know the Mission's have great synergy with it.

Not sure of CD Player, preferably new.

Budget £500

Thanks

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
everyone will say something different its what you have heard and been impressed by at the end of the day, i really think that sq wise i would be looking at a rotel 04se i have heard twice and my freind has heard and both of us are impressed and that it is a good buy. i also think that the rotel is a neutral listen that you may enjoy with missions. I would be half swung to go for a mf dac for around £170 its been said to be good value and have a nice usb playback from a laptop/pc if you ever wishto go computer playback via stored loseless files-example itunes for a starter., that would leave £80 to get a cd player with an digital out to suit the dac and i think you have a solid set-up.All new and the cd player would be used as a transport.

If you were tempted by the second hand route i will go for my arcam alpha9 for around £200 for a good one it is warm but great soundstage and nice highs no sharpeness that makes long sessions a joy. i would say its not the most detailed but i would find oit hard to get an amp for £500 or less that leaves it for dead.

cd wise i have read lots saying arcam high end dvd players are great cd spinners for crazy vaule s/hand.

please post post if you go and listen to anything.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Smuggs,

not sure about the Rotel, is it as good as the A400, I have read that it isn't on par with the Yamaha or Rega, any other ideas for a cd player ?

I had an A400 from new and found it great but would like that sound in a new amp as the pioneer is getting on now!

smudger0111 said:
Thanks for the reply Smuggs,

not sure about the Rotel, is it as good as the A400, I have read that it isn't on par with the Yamaha or Rega, any other ideas for a cd player ?

I had an A400 from new and found it great but would like that sound in a new amp as the pioneer is getting on now!

Hi smudger0111

Imo Rotel's RA-1062 is the finest amp which they've produced in the last ten years and yet this is not on a par with the great Pioneer A-400 let alone the RA-04SE.

What source component/s are you using?

What do you generally listen to?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi,
I can only concur with Rick @ Musicraft regards the A400.
Do not necessarily buy new. Quite rarely you can find an A300R Precision, which will wipe the pants off an A400 - I do repeat RARE - but if you can find one buy it immediately!
I have found, in the past, that any Marantz CD player goes quite nicely with a Pioneer amp but that is all down to personnal audition.
If you do find one then you may need to get a second-hand CD player to fit within your budget.
Happy Hunting!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ric and Alears for your replies,

I've got a Full Monty Pioneer A300 Precision Amp (Tom Evans Full Upgrade with blue led) as part of my first system in the living room so fancy something a bit different for my second system!
The second system will reside in a standard sized kitchen in my flat!
I haven't got any hi-fi separates for my second system apart from Mission 751 speakers (not Freedoms)!
Got a budget of £600 for amp/cd player/speaker cable/interconnects!
I listen all genres of music:
Heavy metal/Blues/Rock/Electronic/80's/Vocal/Acoustic/Chart....

Cheers

smudger0111 said:
Thanks Ric and Alears for your replies,

I've got a Full Monty Pioneer A300 Precision Amp (Tom Evans Full Upgrade with blue led) as part of my first system in the living room so fancy something a bit different for my second system!
The second system will reside in a standard sized kitchen in my flat!
I haven't got any hi-fi separates for my second system apart from Mission 751 speakers (not Freedoms)!
Got a budget of £600 for amp/cd player/speaker cable/interconnects!
I listen all genres of music:
Heavy metal/Blues/Rock/Electronic/80's/Vocal/Acoustic/Chart....

Cheers

Hi smudger0111

Thanks for your reply and your welcome.

NAD C315BEE and C326BEE are worth a look. As for interconnects i'll recommend using a basic/standard cable and for speaker cables standard 79, 300 or 500 OFC type.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

There's a Sansui AU-717 on Ebay just now with two or three days left on it. Currently sitting at £150 with one bid. This is a great amp and will make for an excellent amp. It'll compete with £1000+ amps with ease. Great phono stages too. It's a natural partner with the Mission 75 series and you should get this for well within your budget. Highly recommended and it's streets ahead of the amps you've mentioned (and the others if I'm brutally honest - no offence guys).

Usual caveats apply: check with the seller that there's no operational issues (it looks near mint, make sure it sounds it) and maybe allow £100 for a service. See what he says though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Record Spot and Rick for your replies,

The Sansui is a bit old and a little on the large side for my kitchen, have you any other amplifier recommendations ? If so that would be great!
I am not that fussed on Nad Hi-Fi components!

Ta

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts