Mismatch...................maybe?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just replaced my ageing Denon DM 30 with the Cambridge One, also replacing the 10 yr old Mission 771's woth a pair of Roth Oli 1s

Hmmm..............is all I can say, Cambridge sounded good with the Missions, installed the Roths, had them running in solidly for 24 hours, the sound is..........well, thin (like a naff bottle of wine, thin without depth).

Bizarrely however they come to life when the iPod is played through the dedicated dock, but lose their way when back to FM broadcasts, haven't ried DAB as yet as need to sort some aerial issues out

Have I missed a step, maybe Roth 2s, or...............?

Help!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not too surprised - the old 771s, though a tad light in the bass (which could make them sound a bit over-enthusiastic with some amps) were exceptionally musical and involving speakers for the money.

As you're so used to them, I suspect you may find them a hard act to follow, especially with very small speakers.

matthewpiano

The Oli 1s are tiny little things. I did initially consider them but with the small price difference for the Oli 2 I decided it wasn't worth the risk of ending up with something that would inevitably struggle with reproducing the low frequencies. That 4" bass driver is very small.

The Oli 2's 5.25" bass unit reproduces low frequencies with ease although it isn't a big, warm bass like (for example) the Monitor Audio BR2 or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. The Roths are about clarity, soundstaging and reproducing what is on the disc rather than flattering recordings with extra bass. It is exactly what I was looking for but it isn't a sound that will suit everyone and it might not work as well with Cambridge kit as it does with the NAD stuff.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:The Oli 1s are tiny little things. I did initially consider them but with the small price difference for the Oli 2 I decided it wasn't worth the risk of ending up with something that would inevitably struggle with reproducing the low frequencies. That 4" bass driver is very small.

The Oli 2's 5.25" bass unit reproduces low frequencies with ease although it isn't a big, warm bass like (for example) the Monitor Audio BR2 or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. The Roths are about clarity, soundstaging and reproducing what is on the disc rather than flattering recordings with extra bass. It is exactly what I was looking for but it isn't a sound that will suit everyone and it might not work as well with Cambridge kit as it does with the NAD stuff.

MP

You are exactly right, I have no issue at all with clarity,detailand sound stage...............it's more around depth and body to the overall sound.

Roth Oli 2's or..............?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
OR...

Dali Mentor Menuets
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

fayeanddavid:
matthewpiano:The Oli 1s are tiny little things. I did initially consider them but with the small price difference for the Oli 2 I decided it wasn't worth the risk of ending up with something that would inevitably struggle with reproducing the low frequencies. That 4" bass driver is very small.

MP

You are exactly right, I have no issue at all with clarity,detailand sound stage...............it's more around depth and body to the overall sound.

Roth Oli 2's or..............?

Oli 2s. Listening to mine as I type and I just love them. Plenty of depth and body to the sound without over-egging the pudding, so to speak. Just played the Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture followed by some Paul Weller and both sounded superb.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:
Just replaced my ageing Denon DM 30 with the Cambridge One, also replacing the 10 yr old Mission 771's woth a pair of Roth Oli 1s

Hmmm..............is all I can say, Cambridge sounded good with the Missions, installed the Roths, had them running in solidly for 24 hours, the sound is..........well, thin (like a naff bottle of wine, thin without depth).

Bizarrely however they come to life when the iPod is played through the dedicated dock, but lose their way when back to FM broadcasts, haven't ried DAB as yet as need to sort some aerial issues out

Have I missed a step, maybe Roth 2s, or...............?

Help!!

Have you mounted them on wall brackets, or have you still got them sited as before? I'm assuming that this is still in your kitchen?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Have you mounted them on wall brackets, or have you still got them sited
as before? I'm assuming that this is still in your kitchen?

Sizzers

On
the supplied wall brackets, they are about 2.4m apart, either side of
the dresser, in free area.

As noted, no problem with sound stage,
detail and clarity just seems thin with no depth or body
Thoughts??

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
fayeanddavid:Thoughts??

Subwoofer? Different speakers? Back to the drawing board?

Andrew

Could well be right, hopefully not and that some good advice will be forthcoming

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, I'd go back to the 771s and see how they do, then consider some good £200ish conventional speakers as the best match for the Cambridge.

And if you didn't listen before buying the speakers you have now, I'd do some auditioning before deciding on a replacement pair.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Mr E has a point with starting again and going back to the 771s in the meantime

I took the view point that for a £250 combo receiver/cd player/iPod dock and amp that a pair of £100 ish speakers could do the trick!!

Dali Lektor 1s then?

matthewpiano

fayeanddavid:
matthewpiano:What speaker cables are you using?

mp

Chord Co Ley Line 2 , would have been bought abot 10 yrs ago also

Maybe you should look at alternatives. I've noticed that the QED cables tend to have a more solid and fully formed sound than the Chord.

That said, I just think you are suffering from the fact that the bass drivers on those little Oli 1s are so tiny and I don't think any cable change could solve that. Also bear in mind that the Cambridge gear has a cleaner sound than the Denon DM30. Together it is likely to be a very different sounding combination to what you are used to.

In your position I would certainly be trying the Q Acoustics 2020 which I think could prove a better match to the Cambridge electronics.

idc

matthewpiano:The Oli 1s are tiny little things. I did initially consider them but with the small price difference for the Oli 2 I decided it wasn't worth the risk of ending up with something that would inevitably struggle with reproducing the low frequencies. That 4" bass driver is very small. The Oli 2's 5.25" bass unit reproduces low frequencies with ease although it isn't a big, warm bass like (for example) the Monitor Audio BR2 or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. The Roths are about clarity, soundstaging and reproducing what is on the disc rather than flattering recordings with extra bass. It is exactly what I was looking for but it isn't a sound that will suit everyone and it might not work as well with Cambridge kit as it does with the NAD stuff.

Bass depth vs bass detail. Detail for me.

matthewpiano

idc:
matthewpiano:The Oli 1s are tiny little things. I did initially consider them but with the small price difference for the Oli 2 I decided it wasn't worth the risk of ending up with something that would inevitably struggle with reproducing the low frequencies. That 4" bass driver is very small. The Oli 2's 5.25" bass unit reproduces low frequencies with ease although it isn't a big, warm bass like (for example) the Monitor Audio BR2 or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. The Roths are about clarity, soundstaging and reproducing what is on the disc rather than flattering recordings with extra bass. It is exactly what I was looking for but it isn't a sound that will suit everyone and it might not work as well with Cambridge kit as it does with the NAD stuff.

Bass depth vs bass detail. Detail for me.

For me too idc, which is why I am enjoying the Oli 2s so much.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ear:I have been dreaming (on bed) of Q acoustics 2020...does this mean I have to get a pair?

I once dreamt of ice skating ferrets being strafed by a jet fighter. Does that mean I have to get some ferrets, find someone to make little skates for them, get them ice skating lessons, wait until next winter, and persuade the RAF to machine gun them on the nearest frozen pond?

A

Anonymous

ear:I have been dreaming (on bed) of Q acoustics 2020...does this mean I have to get a pair?i was dreaming of fried chicken last night , and i got some today , if thats any help
emotion-4.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

ear:I have been dreaming (on bed) of Q acoustics 2020...does this mean I have to get a pair?

I once dreamt of ice skating ferrets being strafed by a jet fighter. Does that mean I have to get some ferrets, find someone to make little skates for them, get them ice skating lessons, wait until next winter, and persuade the RAF to machine gun them on the nearest frozen pond?

I guess so!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:

Maybe Mr E has a point with starting again and going back to the 771s in the meantime

I took the view point that for a £250 combo receiver/cd player/iPod dock and amp that a pair of £100 ish speakers could do the trick!!

Dali Lektor 1s then?

no! oli's 2.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
ear:fayeanddavid:

Dali Lektor 1s then?

no! oli's 2.

Yep..............kinda came to a similar conclusion last night, (before dreaming though), have to say I like the detail of the Oli 1s, just need more depth/body

Only issue is how to mount them as I've looked at the brackets (like something from an S&M mag!) and do not have shelves for them.

Any better solutions

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:ear:I have been dreaming (on bed) of Q acoustics 2020...does this mean I have to get a pair?

OF COURSE!

Don't forget to post pics under the "Your ferret-slaughtering system" forum...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts