Microsoft buys Nokia

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the sales i had been reading about how Nokia are outselling Apple due to east europe being a major part of this, but i had no idea the size.

I know everyone has there opinion on Nokia and Windows phones but my Nokia 520 is a good phone for £135 it may not do things as good as the iPhone5 or Galaxy S4 but it still does what i need it to do

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Desperate times for Nokia, after its terrible decision to back Windows RT. It still posted a $347m loss for the first 6months this year, taking losses for the last 2 years to $3.6B even with Microsoft paying them $1B a year.

RT is on the verge of failure - with manufacturers deciding not to build any more RT tablets, as consumers realise that Windows 8RT, is not actually Windows 8.

How different could it have been if Nokia had just taken the low risk option of developing for Android?

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
How different could it have been if Nokia had just taken the low risk option of developing for Android?

They would have been an also ran, no way of differentiating themselves from competitors. Just another fish in a crowded google pond. Not saying it was the right choice, but can see the logic in it. Android customers tend to be loyal to the OS, not the hardware manufacturer.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Paul. said:
AnotherJoe said:

They would have been an also ran, no way of differentiating themselves from competitors. Just another fish in a crowded google pond. Not saying it was the right choice, but can see the logic in it. Android customers tend to be loyal to the OS, not the hardware manufacturer.

I think an Android phone with Nokia's camera and brand name would have been a winner.

Since Elop took over Nokia's share price has plummeted from $12 to $3 before todays announcement. And yet he is going to get a job back at Microsoft as a vice chairman. You'd think after bringing Nokia to its knees he'd be unemployable.

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
Paul. said:
AnotherJoe said:

Since Elop took over Nokia's share price has plummeted from $12 to $3 before todays announcement. And yet he is going to get a job back at Microsoft as a vice chairman. You'd think after bringing Nokia to its knees he'd be unemployable.

I think he never left Microsoft. Job done.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
And yet he is going to get a job back at Microsoft as a vice chairman. You'd think after bringing Nokia to its knees he'd be unemployable.

sad isn't it. I bet he gets a big fat bonus for it all as well.

I'd love to be in one of these golden positions - big paycheck for signing on, big wages, all expenses paid - then screw up within your first year, get a massive golden handshake and walk in to the next job... :cry:

Paul. said:
AnotherJoe said:
Paul. said:
AnotherJoe said:

I think he never left Microsoft. Job done.

:grin:

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
So this guy joins Nokia, lowers their share price, then brokers a sale to his former employer...

My Dad decided to upgrade to a Lumia recently, and received a free Android tablet at the same time.

I've told him to consult me before doing such silly things but he never listens!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Enjoying my Nokia 620.

I now have an iPhone 5, an HTC One X and a Nokia 620.

Of the 3 OS, Android is the best (for me) as it is almost infinitely configurable. Second I would put Windows Phone. Much more simple, and quite locked in like iOS, but it feels nicer(IMO)

My least favourite of the 3 phones is the iP5. And with the sloppy iOS7 upgrade things are not much better. They have introduced some nice (borrowed) ideas, such as the quick access to wifi, bluetooth etc, but not made it configurable, and I still hate the fiddly nature of trying to press the right tiny bit of the screen (contacts with multiple numbers etc)...

The iP5 is the nicest made, and obviously most premium, but the little cheap Nokia is more pleasant to use.

I think with 8.1 they may start to take off. Could do with one or two major apps to appear, although 3rd party ones fill in well for now. (Google plus, Instagram etc)

I played with a Nokia 925 in the shop a couple of days ago, and I thought that was really nice too. Hopefully if and when I replace my work phone (iP5) it will be a Windows phone, and I will probably stick to Android for the personal phone.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
The Nokias are decent enough phones, and a free android tablet doesn't sound bad to me, depending on what it is.

What would you have suggested he buy?

i would have suggested devices with the same operating system.

android or ios preferably as the app offering is larger and more diverse.

TRENDING THREADS