Micro mega original price?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
Does any one know the original retail price of the Micro Mega Drive 1 CD Transport as I bought it so long ago I have forgotten and was curious?

Many thanks in advance

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
If it's the one I'm thinking of it was around £700 or so back in the nineties from memory... I could of course be entirely wrong.

I used to have a Micromega Logic that, despite everyone saying it was an unreliable unit, served me flawlessly for 5 years!

T

the record spot

Are you thinking about the Stage 1? I think that clocked in around the £500 mark? Just guessing, but that'd have been in the mid-90s or so. Good player and upgradeable all the way up to Stage 6 I think?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Are you thinking about the Stage 1? I think that clocked in around the £500 mark? Just guessing, but that'd have been in the mid-90s or so. Good player and upgradeable all the way up to Stage 6 I think?

That is indeed what I had in mind! :) They had a high-end Transport/Dac combo as well which may or may not be what the OP was referring to but I can't remember the price of that either, well into the low £000's though.

A

Anonymous

No, he's asking about the transport which was/is a very cool looking unit.

I had a Stage 1 (again, despite reliability reports, still in active use 15 years later) which could be upgraded to Stage 2 or Stage 3. They then replaced the range which became Stage 4, Stage 5 and Stage 6. The transport/dac is excellent - I was very tempted by one only a couple of months ago

T

the record spot

Haha, great minds and all that! My mate had a Stage 3 at the time. Think that came in at £1200 or so. Can't recall the amp but speakers were Castle Severn IIs. Sounded great. He lived in a smallish flat at the time, so they rather dominated the room. The Micromega was very smart though and well set out. Very sleek.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.It is still going strong and used daily.The tray is noisy and gets stuck sometimes but it never fails to play a disc.
How do you think it compares to a current transport or cd player?
Reason I ask is I am considering getting an Oppo 95 and using it as my source for music as well as movies as I would prefer one box.
Any thoughts?

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Stage 2 back in 1994 and it's been in daily use up until June this year. The Drive 1 used the same mech which was problematic and has been well documented. Your noisy and sticking drawer is fixed easily... it needs a new loading belt and a dab of a plastics compatable grease on the two gear pulley spindles... apart from taking the top off no real dismantling is required for that.

At the time the MM's were a revelation for subjective audio quality and just blew the competition away, and tbh I have always been more then satisfied with the Stage 2 and its Bitstream conversion. As electronics was the day job the player got lightly tweaked (better opamps than the NE5534's originally used) and recapped around 5 years ago.

It was only after deciding that after 17 years I should perhaps treat myself to a new player while they were still being made lol, that I decided on a Marantz Pearl Lite... and I can say that this new player is a major improvement over the Stage. Very hard to put into words but so very very obvious when heard, and in the same way that the MM blew away the competion back in 94, so the Marantz has done the same. It seems to unravel the music and rhythms better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts