Michell Technoweight

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Just ordered a Michell Technoweight for my RB300 arm....hoping it will tighten up the bass and provide better midrange....Hope its easy to fit.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
It is easy, mate as long as you know this: When Michell say 'Slide Bush' they mean the piece that looks like a bullet with a hole drilled through it. Michell seems to think that everybody has an engineers brain. I don't, so I spent 5 minutes looking at the instructions, then looking at the pieces and back to the instructions again, just going 'WHAAAAAAAAT?'
smiley-smile.gif

Here's the Bretty version:

After you've removed your existing counterweight;

1: Get hold of the bullet with a hole drilled through it.

2: There are two weights with scoops cut out of them. Choose the right one for your cartridge. The small one is for 6g and below, the big one is for 6g and above. Slide the weight onto the Bullet with a hole drilled through it.

3. Hold the weight central on the 'bullet' and bolt it it place.

4: Slide the new Bullet/weight combo over the ar*se end of your tonearm

5: get the thing that looks like a thimble and screw it onto the tonearm just one or two turns

6: back the Bullet/weight combo up against the thimble.

That's it: you're ready to balance and set the tracking force for your arm. Take that, Michell!!
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
lol thanks for that Bretty.

Having read some online instructions it says to set the tracking force of my arm to the maximum (i.e. 3) as the technoweight handles both the balance and tracking force??? Is that right.

Or when I have set the balance do I then reset the tracking force to manufacturers recommended using the dial on the side of the tonearm. I take it antiskate is set as normal?

Obviously I will have to go through this twice...once for the Elys cartridge and then again when I take delivery of the Goldring 1042...which I have just ordered :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
lol thanks for that Bretty. Having read some online instructions it says to set the tracking force of my arm to the maximum (i.e. 3) as the technoweight handles both the balance and tracking force??? Is that right.

Or when I have set the balance do I then reset the tracking force to manufacturers recommended using the dial on the side of the tonearm. I take it antiskate is set as normal?

Obviously I will have to go through this twice...once for the Elys cartridge and then again when I take delivery of the Goldring 1042...which I have just ordered :)

Oh yeah that's another thing...I have never changed a cartridge before lol

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The first thing you should notice over the stock rearend is a lower noise floor revealing a tighter and lower bass (this is the best rear end going!!) :bigsmile:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Jason36 said:
Oh yeah that's another thing...I have never changed a cartridge before lol

smiley-surprised.gif

[/quote]

Well I have only owned this Turntable for 3 months and never taken the ELys2 off it. I have read lots of stuff about it and have all the set up graphs etc in the Rega Box. Sounds simple enough...buy you never know.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Jason36 said:
lol thanks for that Bretty. Having read some online instructions it says to set the tracking force of my arm to the maximum (i.e. 3) as the technoweight handles both the balance and tracking force??? Is that right. Or when I have set the balance do I then reset the tracking force to manufacturers recommended using the dial on the side of the tonearm. I take it antiskate is set as normal? Obviously I will have to go through this twice...once for the Elys cartridge and then again when I take delivery of the Goldring 1042...which I have just ordered :) Oh yeah that's another thing...I have never changed a cartridge before lol

Yep, you balance the arm and set the tracking force with the Technoweight and then set the anti-skate. you won't have to use the Rega's dial anymore.

I can pass on a good tip that I was given about anti skate: You know the blank bit of vinyl you have at the end of each side of a record? Well, you can use this to set your anti-skate. pick one of your records with a large blank section. About an inch will be plenty. drop the needle just after end of the last track and use the anti-skate to adjust the speed at which the needle gets drawn to the centre. You want a slow steady speed. Too much one way and the needle will zoom towards the centre, too much the other way and it will be pulled outwards towards the edge.

Fitting a cart was daunting for me, before the event, but actually it's simple. Getting the cartridge aligned is a doddle, just make sure that you get the headshell parallel, too. I forget that bit on my first and second attempts at fitting the Denon
smiley-embarassed.gif

It's good that you have to do the set up twice. You can treat the Elys as a practice for the Goldring.
smiley-smile.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
The first thing you should notice over the stock rearend is a lower noise floor revealing a tighter and lower bass (this is the best rear end going!!) :bigsmile:

Afternoon, Mitch. Good to see ya last night, mate. You gonna give Bonnie Prince Billy a spin tonight?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:

Afternoon, Mitch. Good to see ya last night, mate. You gonna give Bonnie Prince Billy a spin tonight?

I will be :)

As well as Red Hot Chili Peppers Mothers Milk.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Jason36 said:
Jason36 said:
lol thanks for that Bretty. Having read some online instructions it says to set the tracking force of my arm to the maximum (i.e. 3) as the technoweight handles both the balance and tracking force??? Is that right. Or when I have set the balance do I then reset the tracking force to manufacturers recommended using the dial on the side of the tonearm. I take it antiskate is set as normal? Obviously I will have to go through this twice...once for the Elys cartridge and then again when I take delivery of the Goldring 1042...which I have just ordered :) Oh yeah that's another thing...I have never changed a cartridge before lol

Yep, you balance the arm and set the tracking force with the Technoweight and then set the anti-skate. you won't have to use the Rega's dial anymore.

I can pass on a good tip that I was given about anti skate: You know the blank bit of vinyl you have at the end of each side of a record? Well, you can use this to set your anti-skate. pick one of your records with a large blank section. About an inch will be plenty. drop the needle just after end of the last track and use the anti-skate to adjust the speed at which the needle gets drawn to the centre. You want a slow steady speed. Too much one way and the needle will zoom towards the centre, too much the other way and it will be pulled outwards towards the edge.

Fitting a cart was daunting for me, before the event, but actually it's simple. Getting the cartridge aligned is a doddle, just make sure that you get the headshell parallel, too. I forget that bit on my first and second attempts at fitting the Denon
smiley-embarassed.gif

It's good that you have to do the set up twice. You can treat the Elys as a practice for the Goldring.
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks for that Bretty.....nice tip about the antiskate :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Funnily enough, wife and kids are going swimming so though I'd give it a quick spin.................along with some other purchases made today ;)

It was nice to see you mate.....even nicer that my car was still where I'd left it :D

I'll give you a bell in a few days to get that lp back to you along with the one I promised you.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
should have been a tongue in cheek smiley really :p , people make a big song and dance about changing cartridges but it is straight forward and as long as you have the stylus guard in place and don't overtighten then it's a breeze :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
bretty said:
mitch65 said:

I will be :) As well as Red Hot Chili Peppers Mothers Milk.

Let me know what you think, fella.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Michell Technoweight arrived today.

Excitedly ripped open the outer packaging and I am not dissapointed. It's one nice looking modification. Robust and well machined :)

Cant wait to get home and fit it to my RB300 arm and see what a difference it might make.

Will feddback my findings over the next couple of days.

At least I get to try the weight on its own before the Goldring 1042 cartridge arrives (hopefully next week) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts