Michell se turntable and kef model 2...what amp ?

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Just got back into hifi after a lot of years mainly building an av set up. (Pioneer lx 87, kef thx speakers and benq w1400 projector)

I decided I need a stereo system, so bought a michell se gyrodec and some kef model 2 speaker. I now need an amplifier for them, I don't mind buying second hand. I was going to add power amps to the pioneer av receiver but have decided to keep it pure and get a separate stereo amp. I had a look at the unison research s6 valve amps also the unison research triode valve amps, would these be suitable for the kefs? Or what would you recommend ? Thanks

Dvddvd said:
Just got back into hifi after a lot of years mainly building an av set up. (Pioneer lx 87, kef thx speakers and benq w1400 projector)

I decided I need a stereo system, so bought a michell se gyrodec and some kef model 2 speaker. I now need an amplifier for them, I don't mind buying second hand. I was going to add power amps to the pioneer av receiver but have decided to keep it pure and get a separate stereo amp. I had a look at the unison research s6 valve amps also the unison research triode valve amps, would these be suitable for the kefs? Or what would you recommend ? Thanks

Which cartridge will you use and what's your budget?

The Kef s are reasonably efficient but whether they would be adequately driven by the S6's 35 watts is debatable. They might, have not heard this combo mind, struggle at higher volumes.

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I have not bought a cartridge yet, just bought a michell technoarm tone arm so maybe an ortofon 2m blue or black. Budget is if I bought a pre power £1000 for pre and £2000 for power amps I do like the look of the unison research valve amps very old school, they are £2500 for the triode and £3000 for s6, the demo I had was the s6 not sure what the triode 25 is like, good reviews. Anybody know what the main difference is in sounds, power etc thanks

Dvddvd said:
I have not bought a cartridge yet, just bought a michell technoarm tone arm so maybe an ortofon 2m blue or black. Budget is if I bought a pre power £1000 for pre and £2000 for power amps I do like the look of the unison research valve amps very old school, they are £2500 for the triode and £3000 for s6, the demo I had was the s6 not sure what the triode 25 is like, good reviews. Anybody know what the main difference is in sounds, power etc thanks

The name gives it away. The Triode 25 will have 25wpc in triode mode and 45 wpc in pentode mode, so slightly more than the S6 in this configuration.

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The unison research s6 is £600 more than the triode 25, just wondered what else was different ? They both have 6 ohm speaker outputs, the kefs are 4ohm and dip down to 3.2ohm. I could find a dealer who stocks both, and try them with some 4 ohm speakers in store, or drag my kefs to my local store vickers hifi in york and try them onto a valve amp.

Is going down the valve amp route a pipe dream?

If I go down the valve route I would have to have two sets of speakers in my listening room. The kef thx speakers with the pioneer av amp and the kef reference model 2 with my stereo system. I could get rid of the kef thx speakers and fit a speaker switch but I would not dare put a two amp one speaker switch onto the valve incase I switched it on and the switch was in the av way and the valve would not have a load.

If I go for another demo how can I tell if the valve amp is up to the job ? Turn up the volume and see how loud it can go without getting mushy ? Many thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Kef Refs are lovely speakers and the UR is a wonderful amp...but I have reservations about putting them together.

If it was me ( which it isn't), I'd go the UR route and change the speakers to something from ProAc, Harbeth or Audio Note.

If you are keeping the Refs, you need (IMO) something Solid State and gutsy eg. Bryston, Electrocompaniet, Classe or Musical Fidelity.

CnoEvil said:
The Kef Refs are lovely speakers and the UR is a wonderful amp...but I have reservations about putting them together.

If it was me ( which it isn't), I'd go the UR route and change the speakers to something from ProAc, Harbeth or Audio Note.

If you are keeping the Refs, you need (IMO) something Solid State and gutsy eg. Bryston, Electrocompaniet, Classe or Musical Fidelity.

My thoughts as well unfortunately. For that budget you could get some seriously good solid-state amp.

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply, just had a look at proac OB1 and they are 6 ohm and 87 db sensitivity where the kefs are 4 ohm and 91 db. What figures should i be looking at ? High sensitivity and matching 6 ohm ? are the kefs that hard to drive ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Kefs are hard to "control" in their bass and having an "iron grip" over the bass is not a strength of Valves.

To get the most from Valves, you want speakers with high Sensitivity 90 dB plus, and a benign load (6 Ohms).

...but, at the end of the day, the truth is in the listening.

For this kind of cash,I'd be looking at bryston amplification and pmc speakers...twenty 23 or 24's or if you really want to push the boat out the 26's or something from the fact range..oooh! Pmc use and test most there stuff with bryston and there active monitors use bryston amps.

Dvddvd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
thanks not to keen on the twenty range styling the leaning back style. What bryston amps past or present would be good with the Kefs ?

Dvddvd said:
thanks not to keen on the twenty range styling the leaning back style. What bryston amps past or present would be good with the Kefs ?

Bryson B135 SST2 might be worth seeking out, however I think they were only mentioned in the context of being a known good match for PMC speakers.

Doesn't make them a bad match for others though by any means.

I'm assuming you're also going to need a phono stage for the turntable,a good one at that.so rega aria at least.... and leema tucana,I'm sure would drive those kefs with ease .there's a tucana amp and cd player on a well known auction site at the mo for 2k.mmmm?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts