Michael Aspel and PMC?

The other night I was watching 'Antiques Roadshow' on Dave, and they showed extracts of Michael's last show. Anyway, he was presenting from a boardroom of a Palace (don't know where, possibly Hampton Court) and as the camera panned round I clocked a pair of TB2s. They kept flitting back to Michael interviewing famous people, amongst a montage of clips from his stint, and the camera kept zooming in on these PMCs.

Also, on BBC News 24 they have a late night programme, think it was the 'Today' with Evan Davis, and noticed some Dynvector or Dynaduio speakers in the background.

On the 1970's-80s cop programme The Professionals there's an episode that shows a Yamaha CA-710 and possibly a Dual or AR turntable. Later in the episode they show a Hitachi D-220 cassette deck.

Have you seen programmes, either documentaries or dramas, with a recognisable hi-fi components?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have you seen programmes, either documentaries or dramas, with a recognisable hi-fi components?

Yup.....and it was you that recognized it. It was the JVC JA-S22 on the Birds Eye cod fillet ad.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable in 'A Clockwork Orange'.

I also remember that Chandler and Joey had some large American electrostatic speakers in their apartment in 'Friends'. (Don't remember which episodes or which brand and I don't have the DVDs to check.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is an A&R Cambridge A60 and T21 duo (black veneer versions) on a shelf in a record shop in an episode of "Life On Mars".

(The one where he meets the mother of his future girlfriend 'Maya'.)

Also about 3 or 4 years too early given that 'Life On Mars' is set around 1973.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I also remember that Chandler and Joey had some large American electrostatic speakers in their apartment in 'Friends'. (Don't remember which episodes or which brand and I don't have the DVDs to check.)
I think they might have been Martin Logans, sweet 8)

A few months ago BBC FOUR showed a documentary on Pink Floyd, and in their floating recording studio on the Thames I noticed B&W Nautilus speaker lurking in the background.

In another episode of The Professionals they were staking out a gang and in the house, although can't be sure, looked like a Linn LP12 turntable.

This is very sad.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

They also had some Blueroom speakers in Chandler and Joeys apartment in some of the episodes.

friends_zpsec83d179.jpg

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's a Dual CS505-1 box in Control's office in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Tom Cruise has a NAD system in War Of The Worlds.

Bruce Wayne has B&O in Christopher Nolan's Batman movies.

The Mechanic has a Project deck in it (I forget the model)

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
On the BBC website there's a video of Rory Cellan-Jones interviewing Brian Eno in his home studio. A pair of Yamaha NS1000's are in the background. Nice.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Seen plenty of police dramas over the years (even recently) where they use Revox B77s, often the special slow-speed model on 1 7/8 ips, tapped into a suspect's phone-line. News of the World must've had an army of them! :p

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Spotting PMC speakers on Antiques Roadshow is one thing, but spotting e.g. B&W speakers in a programme featuring a recording studio is like those "Spotted" things in Heat magazine where they say "so-and-so leaving the stage door of the theatre" - you'd expect to see a "celebrity" there, big deal!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Is this a B&W? (Warning - world's cheesiest interviewer.) click

datay said:
Spotting PMC speakers on Antiques Roadshow is one thing, but spotting e.g. B&W speakers in a programme featuring a recording studio is like those "Spotted" things in Heat magazine where they say "so-and-so leaving the stage door of the theatre" - you'd expect to see a "celebrity" there, big deal!

If I had written, "Ooo, I think I've spotted some B&Ws...", then you might have a point.

However, I was merely curious re the ID of the speaker manufacturer, hence my question: "Is this a B&W?"

:roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts