MHDT Labs Havana ~ NOS Valve DAC ~

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to this quite popular DAC, as I'm aware of at least two other people on this forum using one, this would be a good place to share our impressions, experiences and comparisons as well as for people to ask questions.

havana_01.jpg

havana_02.jpg

I'm currently using mine with the stock valve (GE 5670) connected directly via Clearer Audio Copper-Line interconnect to a Stax SRM-006t and SR-404 Limited headphone system, a Marantz CD63 KI Signature is used for transport, connected by VDH The Name Coaxial cable.

As stated elsewhere, I've ordered a JJ 6386 valve that I hope will be arriving in the non to distant future, this is a quite expensive new production valve retailing for around $120 (£75) - naturally I'm hoping for some kind of improvement!

I'll be posting my findings as and when.

e

A

Anonymous

Being interested in getting a NOS DAC, I will be waiting with baited breath to read your findings.

A

Anonymous

I've had my Havana for nearly a year now, It's amazing for the price. I found the stock tube warm and smooth, suitable for classical music. I then tried WE396 tube(not in my room now, not sure what the WE No. is),the soundstage got bigger, still smooth but more forward sound, though i couldn't get used it's emphasis on the midrange, it makes the upper bass unclear. Right now I'm using TungSol tube 2c51, I think it's more all rounder,especially its dynamics is much better than WE or stock tube. The soundstage is deeper and wider, hence i had to turn up the voloume to be able to bring the sound closer.

Overall it's got top notch timbre, I'm a violinist myself, I think one would need to spend at least 2k more for a cdp to equal this organic natural timbre. It's so musical, whatever music i put on, it gives you the "live" feel, the high is silky and smooth. The midrange is very detailed and sounding great with vocals and acoustics and rhythm stuff, the bass is very natural(not as tight as i like though).

I think the difference is that the NOS presentation tend to be more coherent, that also means it does not have the clean cut separation like the upsampling, though I find upsampling done wrong can be quite clinical and sterile, sounds digital and dead to me. That's why if i do upgrade, I'm thinking of more advanced NOS technology like Audio Note. I have to say though this presentation is not for everyone, some call this lack of details, so go audition it and experience it youself, i can surely say after i got my havana, i started to listening music now.

The service is great, i gave them e-mail saying that I'd be insterested in trying out, and they appeared at at my door a week later, in e-mail they said i could paid later or return if i don't like it.

enjoy it

andy

A

Anonymous

Wonderful DAC. I replaced the stock tube with a cryo treated NOS Bendix 6385. Pure bliss!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

On the MHDT website it says that the output of the Havana is 2.6V. The inputs on my Arcam A32 will take 500mV - 2V.

Do you think the output stated for the Havana is realistic or a typo.

If real, will I need an attenuator?

Cheers, lee

A

Anonymous

I don't think you will need an attenuator. But just to be safe, you can always write to Lin. I have connected the Havana to MA2275 without knowing any such specifics and what followed was an intimate experience of musical delight. Its an outstanding dac imo and the customer service is first class. Go for it, you will definitely like it!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have my Havana on the way!!! I managed to find one second hand.

Unleash_me - your amp will take max input 8V.

Also checked karmatogdral amp and max input overload is 5V.

It seems that the Havana has a high output so it can be effective connected to a passive amp. I have to look into whether I need an attenuator. Instinct says yes.

A

Anonymous

Its here!

I have been listening for about 1 1/2 hours now and I LIKE IT!!!

Its different to the Arcam CD192 as the bass is a bit softer (expected) but the music seems much more holographic and wrap around. Also, I usually listen with the volume at 30 and its now at 36. I am currently using it with the stock tubes. It has come with some other tubes: 6H3N (8 of) and 5670 (1 of) which I will play around with at the weekend (I don't know if these tubes are any good but look to be swapping out the tubes at a later date (birthday in april). Would a change in tubes firm up the bass whilst keeping the bits of the sound I like?

Has anyone swapped out the dac chip?

Don't worry, I am already happy with the change and am looking forward to many happy listening hours with the system as it is.

Music listened to:

Jon Hopkins - Insides (softer bass but the music expands and retracts in and out of speakers both outwards and towards the listening position)

Frou Frou - Details (sounds as good as it did but different)

Susan Vega - Tried and True (Yum, though it did not like toms diner?)

Autechre - Amber (softer bass)

Amilie - Soundtrack (instruments much more real)

P.S. Nice one lonelyboy and to all that provided information prior to my purchase. I will try to keep all tweaks/upgrades within this thread.

Amilie - Le moulin - WOW!!!

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Nice! - Glad you're digging your new toy
emotion-21.gif

Can't believe anyone would sell their Havana, I'll be hanging on to mine for a long time - but it's their loss and your gain.

Yep the soundstage is wonderful even on headphones, this is where I really wish that I had a good speaker set-up - even very good headphones fall short in this department. I did notice a deepening of the soundstage when I put in the JJ a couple of weeks ago, now it's very enveloping - my computer system now sounds a flat in comparison.

With regards to tweaking - I'd really like to try my RollerBlocks under it if wasn't so awkward, I had really great results under the CD63 (I had to remove the feet and bottom panel though) very noticeable improvement in imaging and dynamics especially, unfortunately the weight of the power cable and interconnects is just a little to much for them to work properly.

Enjoy it, looking forward to your further impressions.

e

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
I've haven't heard the Nova, shame as the Peachtree stuff looks really sweet.

The prices for the Havana are $899 from eBay and $849 bought directly, shipping is additional.

Linky - http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/order.htm

A

Anonymous

leenorris78:
Its here!

I have been listening for about 1 1/2 hours now and I LIKE IT!!!

Welcome to the club brother! You are really lucky to have got it 2nd
hand as its very rare that anyone will part with their beloved Havana
emotion-1.gif
I for one, dumped my SA15S1 when I moved to PC based setup and got
this beauty. Enjoy your dac with the tubes you got and in the future, if
you feel like experimenting, there is a whole world out there for tube
rolling.

A

Anonymous

I'm really enjoying this dac. I'm now listening to the music rather than the hifi. Am I glad of the swap. DEFINATELY! Listening to Mary anne Hobbs on listen again. Beautiful! Worth a listen. Just on 1h 9mins. Great track, nice and chilled but superbly produced.

So, these tube thingys. Is the Bendix worth the dosh. £100 for one is a lot of money but I have a birthday in april. I have some other tubes, 6H3N. Ive got about 6 of them but they make the bass all fuzzy and rubbish. The problem is I like my electronica and insist on good bass definition.

Any recomendations? By the way, I could easily live with the stock tube but if there is an upgrade in sound....................!

A

Anonymous

Glad to know that you are enjoying the DAC
emotion-1.gif
Regarding the bendix, when i wanted to try different tubes a few were recommend by my friends including the Bendix. A quick check in fellow forums confirmed that this tube could be a good match with the Havana. Checked with Lim from MHDT and he recommended it whole heatedly. Its even mentioned in their website.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick update for those of you interested in this dac.

I have attached a BT mains conditioner MTU125 to the dac.

Better defined bass (not less as you get when attaching to amp). Bigger soundstage, Greater seperation of instruments.

YUM!!!

A

Anonymous

Bump!

Any more impressions on this DAC?

I'm currently using a Valab, and I'm tempted by the Havana: how is it with classical music, especially large orchestra?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts