MF M6i vs M6 500i

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Steve.

I have been looking for a replacement amp for my bi amped audiolabs for some time now. I was the same as you with being tempted with the M6i. I ordered one and when it arrived was very impressed with the build quality. Built like a tank. Sound wise it was velvety smooth in the highs with very powerful bass. This became a problem for me in my 11ft square spare room where I have it set up. The bass was overpowering but I believe in the riight sysytem with room to breath it would be lovely. I have not heard the other amp.

My only criticism was that the highs were a little too smooth for me as I like a bit of bite. I have recently settled on a new Rega Elex. This is very revealing and has the top end bite which I quite like. Bass is superb without being overblown. i.e no overhang. The amp seems to grip the drivers like a vice. It did take a number of hours to settle down sounding a bit harsh in its first twenty or so hours. Opened up a treat now though.

Yani

SteveR750

Thanks Yani. I like a smooth top end, and plenty of punch; think NAD house sound. Whilst the M2 is superb, it can get a bit harsh with loud passages, a bit "shouty". The ProAcs aren't bright by any means, but my new house has an odd shaped room with a part sloping roof, like a big triangle cut upwards into the front half. It's also a lot larger than my old house that was a conventional mass built box. The upshot is that it needs greater volume, and the bass is lost somewhat as there is a lot more air to shift.

The M6i 500i looks phenomenal, there's a nice looking used expample on ebay at the moment, but it's already well past the £1k barrier with some time to go yet

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Unless you've got speakers which are really difficult to drive, personally, I think the M6 500i would be over kill. For the money they go for, I'd prefer a Sugden or something similar.

SteveR750

ProAc D18, so relatively easy.

I'm drawn to the M6i, on the basis of my fondness for the warmish NAD sound; but also ought to consider the Rotel 1580/1582, Cno is a big fan of the AMS35i but I suspect its lacking in power for my needs.

I recall looking at Moon, Sugden, Primare, Leema (the Tucana in particular) a couple of years ago. I'm more inclined to buy a used example to limit any losses if I decide it's not a keeper, but open to specific suuggestions! It's an itch that needs scratching.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi SteveR750 I have had both amps the M6i is a great amp nice smoth top end lovely deep punchy bass good soundstage the M6500i has more presence the sound stage is 3D the more you turn it up the bigger the sound stage the bass is nice and deep well controled the top end if you like the MF sound you will love either of these amps . I love my M6500i and my M6 CDP and I would highly recomend a dem if you live anywhere near Norwich you are welcome to have a listen to mine

SteveR750

toyota man said:
Hi SteveR750 I have had both amps the M6i is a great amp nice smoth top end lovely deep punchy bass good soundstage the M6500i has more presence the sound stage is 3D the more you turn it up the bigger the sound stage the bass is nice and deep well controled the top end if you like the MF sound you will love either of these amps . I love my M6500i and my M6 CDP and I would highly recomend a dem if you live anywhere near Norwich you are welcome to have a listen to mine

What are you doing Sunday evening?

I'm staying near Norwich as I'm having some work done on my car on Monday. I'm staying at the Barnham Broom hotel, aiming to get there around tea time.

There is also a AMS35i and a Susgden A21SE to get Cno salivating when he picks this thread up. I'm guessing in a smaller room the Class A pairs would be a perfect match for the D18s

A Densen B150 and 175 ex demo too, but a bit out of my budget perhaps....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Cno, I've started a MF thread, but there are some other ideas in that thread, including the AMS35i. I'm also looking at a Sugden A21SE, also class A low power on paper etc. I had an A19 amp for a while, it was chalk and cheese to the M2; not my cup of tea at all, so I'd need some convincing about anythin Arcam badged...

How does the AMS compare to the M6i?

I've moved things over here for tidyness sake.

I prefer the Arcam AVR600 to the M6i (haven't heard the new si), and the 35i is a big step above both.

I think anyone on here who has heard the 35i vs M600i (Neuphonix / Acalex / Roby) preferred the 35i, though it wasn't as powerful (obviously).

Iceman replaced some fairly powerful Naim amps with a 35i, to power his Focals and would say (IIRC) that the MF sounds more powerful.

Proac with Sugden is a great combination as you know....the A21SE might be right on the edge of giving you the volume you need. The IA-4 would do the job, but the 35i is considerably more powerful again.

I have a long thread on this amp: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-ams-35i-thread

There is also this: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/new-amplifier-my-long-journey

And this: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-m6i-or-naim-nait-xs-to-drive-my-bw-683

The second two very long threads, track the adventures of 2 members....one who bought the 35i (Roby) after listening to both the M6 and M600; and one who nearly bought it, but in the end went for the Jadis Valve amp (he loved both, but his girlfiend pushed for the prettier one).

It is worth hearing Arcam's Class G, as it really has improved things.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi SteveR750 I should be around on Sunday evening I am not sure if I am on call or not but all being well I should be about I will check my on call rosta and I will post up my email address so we can make some plans

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JMac said:
Isnt the AVR an audio/visual amp? I've been awaiting a review of the FMJ A49 but havent seen one anywhere yet.

It is, and using "Stereo Direct" gives a very good 2 channel performance (imo).

SteveR750

toyota man said:
Hi SteveR750 I should be around on Sunday evening I am not sure if I am on call or not but all being well I should be about I will check my on call rosta and I will post up my email address so we can make some plans

Thanks, greatly appreciated. I'll mail you with my number etc so I can give you a call on the day. There's a chnace I might not be coming, depends on sorting some car stuff out beforehand, but I'm about 80% confident right now.

SteveR750

And thanks Cno for the links.

The D18s are so so sensitive at 88dB, rated at 20-180W

I guess buying used would be the way to go, then if it's simply not powerful enough I could sell it on for little or no loss.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:

I guess buying used would be the way to go, then if it's simply not powerful enough I could sell it on for little or no loss.

The second 2 threads, though long, give interesting insight into a lot of different kit, that was demoed over a long period of time. It's a great shame that Acalex and Roby no longer post on here.

iceman16

SteveR750 said:

Don't be put off with the 35wpc of the AMS 35i..Im sure you'll be surprised when you hear it with your D18s

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Co did any of the 35 club try running a subwoofer off the line outs? Issues with a thump when powering on?

I'm only on page 10 and I caught a quick mention from neutronix

Yes, there is a thump through the sub when turning on/off, though it's easy to make sure the sub is on standby when doing this.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
iceman16 said:
I would also suggest Electrocompaniet to your list.

Which ones?

C no, used they are £6.5k, so it's not going to happen soon, I've got a wedding to pay for this year!

The Integrated amps are very good, especially the ECI-5, which can be picked up around £2.3 ex-dem and well under £2 if pre-owned.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
iceman16 said:
I would also suggest Electrocompaniet to your list.

Which ones?

C no, used they are £6.5k, so it's not going to happen soon, I've got a wedding to pay for this year!

Cno's suggestion of the Electrocompaniet Eci 5 integrated is a very good one but if you are interested in a pre/ power amp then check out the amps in the links below , they are ex demo and are very well priced especially the AW250 .*smile*

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/used-products/electrocompaniet-ec-4-7-preamplifier

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/used-products/electrocompaniet-aw-2-x-120-m-power-amplifier

The EC 4.7 pre with either the AW 2X 120 M or the AW 250 would more than do the job.

The sound quality is similar to Sugden but with far more dynamic power and impact especially with complex dynamic music , but they can still do that delicate placing of instruments in a realistic sounding space that sends shivers down your spine .

The AW 250 especiallty will drive anything you connect it to effortlessly with 1100 wpc into 1 ohm !

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/used-products/electrocompaniet-aw-250-r-power-amplifier

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
toyota man said:

What are you doing Sunday evening?

I'm staying near Norwich as I'm having some work done on my car on Monday. I'm staying at the Barnham Broom hotel, aiming to get there around tea time.

There is also a AMS35i and a Susgden A21SE to get Cno salivating when he picks this thread up. I'm guessing in a smaller room the Class A pairs would be a perfect match for the D18s

A Densen B150 and 175 ex demo too, but a bit out of my budget perhaps....
Hi Steve I am on call this weekend I will get all my calls through Friday night all being well I should be about on Sunday evening so long as no emergency calls come in My email adress is ken_downs@hotmail.co.uk .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts