Metrum Octave vs Benchmark DAC2 PRE

earlxtr

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The latest CD BY Dara McLean arrived in the mail today and I couldn't wait to hear it. Rather then rip it to my normal collection I did something I had not done in a very long time (if ever). I popped it into my LG Blu Ray player for a quick listen. What a disappointment!!! The recording sounded so flat, so dead and so lifeless without the rich texture of her previous CD. I had time to listen to just one song but about ten minutes after listening, a thought crossed my mind...maybe the problem is not with the CD? I'm running everything except my Sqeezebox Touch through my HK990 built in DAC (AD1955). I knew the Metrum Octive DAC made some instruments sound more natural then other DACs I had heard, but could it really account for such a huge difference in tonal quality? I popped the CD into my PS3 with its optical feed into the HK990. Exact same sound. Hmmm. I next ripped the CD to my FLAC library and played it from my Sqeezebox Touch (using the Metrum DAC). WOW, what a fantastic recording!!! Yes. It was the DAC!!!

The HK990 was only being used as the preamp and DAC. I had added the Bryston 3B SST2 a few weeks earlier as the power amp and the clarity and detail is amazing, without sacrificing a smooth sound. A huge improvement. This change really allowed the sonics of the DAC shine through, be it good or bad. For those that say they can't hear a difference in DACs, perhaps your equipment just can't resolve to anywhere near good enough to hear a difference, or, it that's not it, hopefully you get better ears in the next life ha ha:)))

Ok, so that's it for now...Metrum Octave is a fantastic piece of equipment and now I realize how good it really is. It somehow lets the sweetness and natural harmonics of the music to come though without coloring everything with the same brush, like tubes and other things do. The most un-digital sound I have ever heard:)))

I've just got a Benchmark DAC2 Pre to replace the HK990 as my DAC Preamp. It's supposed to have a really swaszoo 4 per Channel DAC and the thing wasn't cheep so I'm setting up a direct a/b and will add a review on that too.

Cheers

Earl

earlxtr

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
BENCHMARK DAC2 PRE

Today I compared the BENCHMARK DAC2 PRE to the Metrum Octave, This isn't a highly scientific study because I believe if there aren't enough blatant differences to hear a difference then I'll just call it a tie. Both DACs are feed by the Sqeezebox Touch, the Benchmark by optical and the Metrum by Coax.

First let me say that the benchmark sounded way better then the DAC in the HK990. A much richer and more musical sound. Not all the unexpected I suppose given the price differences and the stellar reputation of Benchmark. Now to be fair, when the Ad1955 DAC in the Hk900 was feed through its own electronics, the warm tube like sound would cover a multitude of sins but when it got exposed to the Bryston Amp, it was laid bare to what it was. (not all that great).

Now when I go comparing the sound of the Benchmark to the sound of the Metrum, these are going to be relative terms that apply only to this comparison. If I say one DAC sounds dry, that is in comparison to the other. Overall it may not be a dry sounding DAC compared to other of its peers, just compared to the other that I listened to. Ya got that???

Ok, if I could sum it up in a few words, the Metrum is richer, fuller and more romantic then the Benchmark, and it's really not even close, at least on my electronics. I believe that the Metrum is also truer to the original acoustic instrument or voice to my ears. My Taylor acoustic with rosewood construction is very crisp but warm with a ton of harmonics that fill the room. The Metrum seems to be able to reproduce the rich, beautiful harmonics of the acoustic guitar without sacrificing the crispness and attack of each string being struck. The Benchmark produces a dryer, leaner presentation that still has some warmth and certainly does not sound bad, but falls short on presenting the rich tonal character of the music like the Metrum does.

Now I can imagine that if I was a recording engineer I might want the more stark (relative remember) presentation of the Benchmark to clearly delineate the different sounds on the recording. Just listening for enjoyment to home would be a completely different matter. This is where I would choose the Metrum hands down over the Benchmark.

Even with all that bias, I can still imagine that some my prefer the less is more sound of the Benchmark, but I think that after a comparison, most would choose the Metrum, especially if they have highly resolving lean electronics and speakers.

I believe that any warmth that a system produces should only come from the original source recording and only if it was there in the first place. Trying to add warmth anywhere else in the system paints everything with the same brush, and you end up warming up things that should not be warmed up. This was the problem with my HK990. It produced a gorgeous tube like sound that made vocals sound sublime, but also warmed up the snare drum that needed to retain its attack and bite. Finding a DAC that can truly extract the original richness, character, harmonics, timber and depth of the music as it was recorded is the ultimate goal, and I believe the Metrum is as close as it comes based on my experience and limited knowledge.

Earl

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it insane to use a benchmark dac 2 pre solely as a pre ? There are for sure some cheaper equally good alternatives.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
On another forum, the Metrum gets some mixed views, generally its preferred to the Benchmark for reasons like the OP mentions but one guy has just sold his for the John Kenny's JKDAC32 so that maybe worth trying also? Also read the Metrum benefits from about 3 weeks burn-in.

earlxtr

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
mpapo said:
Isn't it insane to use a benchmark dac 2 pre solely as a pre ? There are for sure some cheaper equally good alternatives.

im using the digital inputs on the DAC2 Pre for all my other sources, like tv, Bluray, ps3, computer etc. plus it's 40% ($2000 vs $5000) of the Bryston pre that has the same functionality while delivering similar performance IMO. So a bargin if you ask me:)))))

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
If you're into those you may be into this?

http://canadahifi.com/m2tech-young-dsd-pcm-and-dsd-dac/

Interesting comparison!

Which power amp would the M2Tech be paired with? Or...active speakers?

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I've not really got a clue with DACs (stuck it on for other peoples benefit), but at some point in the future I want to have a listen to Focal Solo be, these don't have a volume control so the M2Tech would take over that duty... I'm thinking :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts